Limited Event Submission for Gen Con Indy 2021
1 2 4
1 2 4
Posted by derekguder

We'll have more details soon on how we're going to encourage players to coordinate and connect in the open gaming space at the convention.

-
Derek Guder
Director of Events
Gen Con LLC

Posted by gclayferris rfsullivan

rfsullivan wrote:
So, from the player side of things, how would we find games in the "open gaming area"? Is there some sort of listing? Signs? 

At UKGE a couple years back, the open gaming area was very welcoming. They had flags that people could put up at their table when they were looking for people to join in a game they are playing. It was nice. Even as someone not terribly outgoing, it was easy to browse along the tables and find open spots.

Posted by lore seeker gclayferris

gclayferris wrote:
rfsullivan wrote:
So, from the player side of things, how would we find games in the "open gaming area"? Is there some sort of listing? Signs? 

At UKGE a couple years back, the open gaming area was very welcoming. They had flags that people could put up at their table when they were looking for people to join in a game they are playing. It was nice. Even as someone not terribly outgoing, it was easy to browse along the tables and find open spots.

That sounds like a good idea.

Posted by toxic_rat gclayferris

gclayferris wrote:
rfsullivan wrote:

Didn't the game library do this?  ie, signs for "Players Wanted", "Teacher Wanted", etc.

Posted by gclayferris toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
gclayferris wrote:
rfsullivan wrote:

Didn't the game library do this?  ie, signs for "Players Wanted", "Teacher Wanted", etc.

Could very well be. I'm usually too busy with ticketed events to get over there and check it out. This year I'm really hoping to take advantage of open gaming, meeting people, and having fun.

My folks took me to Gen Con at UW Parkside, back in 1983. Back then I was a shy kid who had no idea that so many different games existed. I remember people just setting up in the hallways and scribbling down on a piece of notebook paper about how many players they were looking for. 

It was one of my best experiences ever. Was just so nice how everyone was so welcoming and willing to share in their love for their hobby.

Posted by gear grinder

It saddens me to hear that this is how things will have to be for this year, as I was really looking forward to hosting a few small events to run a game I've been working on for the last few years.

With the open gaming area, will there be any reliable way of advertising or promoting a pseudo-event for this area? A white board where people can write what they're running at a specific table, or something like that? Or is my best bet to link up with another GMing group?

Posted by rfsullivan gclayferris

gclayferris wrote:
rfsullivan wrote:

That would be really cool. I'm a big fan of planning in advance, but walking into a room and tagging into something akin to a pickup game would be a neat experience. ​

Posted by kimbam

[This post has been removed]

Posted by harryroquel

[This post has been removed] book now

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 2 4
1 2 4