During the convention, it's best to stop by GM HQ if you need to talk to us. GM HQ will be open Wednesday through Sunday, Exact hours will be posted closer in time to the convention.
Note that information on this page is subject to change as we continue to monitor health and safety situations.
Gen Con Indy 2021 Event Timeline
|May 9, 2021||Curated Event Submission Opens|
|June 5, 2021||Event Submission Deadline|
|July 18, 2021||Layout Change Requests due
GM Badge Requests due
GM Hotel Requests due
|within 2 weeks
after the convention
|Event tickets received Gen Con offices
Final Deadline for reimbursement requests (badge & hotel)
This is a summary list of important dates and reminders. It is by no means comprehensive - please refer to the Gen Con Indy Event Host Policy for full details on what you need to do for your events.
Important Links & Files
- Event Host Policy
This covers all the rules and policies that cover almost any kind of event. Not everything applies to all events, but you should read the whole thing - by submitting events you agree to abide by it.
- Event Organizer and Game Master Forum
A good place to go if you have a question and want to get help from other GMs.
- EO/GM Email List
Sign up for this to make sure you get updates and reminders about submitting and running events. This is separate from the general Gen Con email list and we periodically add GMs to it, but it's safer to sign yourself up directly.
- Electronic Ticketing Information for Event Organizers
If you're interested in having your events e-ticketed, check out this link for complete information about Gen Con's E-Ticketing program and the requirements for participation.
- GM Badge Allocation Request Form
Use this Google form to request a GM badge allocation, so you can assign badges to each of your GMs.
- Special Request Form
If you need an HQ or have any special needs that aren't limited to individual events (like a special layout for your overall event area), use this Google form to get the details to us.
- GM Housing Block Requests
- Event Ticket Envelope Labels
You can print these out to pre-fill your event labels to use on your own envelopes or ours. They should fit basic 2" x 4" sticker labels (compare to Avery model 5963)
- Attendee Consent & Release Agreement
This is the waiver all participants in a physically active event (just about anything more than sitting at a table or talking around at a LARP) need to complete before they can start. Copies of this form are also available at GM HQ on site at the convention.
- GM Badge Reimbursement Request Form - This is only for independent GMs that did not receive a GM badge at the convention.
- GM Hotel Reimbursement Request Form - Only independent GMs and gaming groups that are eligible for individual reimbursement need to fill out this form. Companies and professionals are not provided hotel reimbursement.
For Gen Con Indy 2021 in person only, due to limited time, space, and resources, event submission will be on a curated basis. Some groups that run large volumes of events have already been contacted and approved to run events. If you are a group that has an established presence at Gen Con and can commit to running a significant volume of events on site this year, and you have not been contacted about running events onsite, please contact [email protected] about running events at Gen Con Indy this year.
Once you've been notified you're approved, submitting events for Gen Con Indy is a pretty simple process. You just need to use our online event submission form to send us the details for your event.
You need to sign into your account to submit an event, but you do not need a badge.
- Click on "Submit a New Event" when Event Submission opens, using the link at the left or under the Host menu at the top.
- Fill out the submission form as accurately and completely as possible.
- This may be your one chance to entice a player to come check out your game - use it.
- Do not repeat information across multiple fields if at all possible. Your company or group name should only appear in that field, for example. RPGs and LARPs should not use the adventure/scenario name for the title. Do not repeat things like number of players, duration, material provided, rules taught, etc. in the description - there are separate fields for that and you're wasting precious space - the short description can only be 200 characters.
- Click on the "Submit this event!" button at the bottom of the page to send your event to us for review. You can also click on "Save this event for later" if you want to submit it later, but you must have filled out at least the required fields before you can save.
Once you have entered your event, you can also click on your EO/GM dashboard to get to your event list and review your events or check their status. If you are ever unsure whether your events have been reviewed yet or what location they were assigned, just check there. You can also now edit and update your events until they have been Accepted for Consideration.
This video walks through the event submission form and includes some key tips on how to successfully submit events. While this video is from 2020, the form is essentially the same. The entire video also includes an overview of the event submission process and the key new features you'll want to be aware of when managing your online events.
How to Request & Assign GM Badges
Only the EO for a gaming group or company can assign badges. If you are not the primary contact for your group or are running as an independent GM, you will not be assigning badges. Refer to the Event Host Policy for full details. Further, GM badges are not required to run events, they are simply provided for the convenience of groups and companies that run a sufficient volume of events to warrant them.
- Once your events are marked as Active, you can request a badge allocation by completing the badge allocation request form for this year, when available.
- When you have received confirmation that your allocation has been created, you can go to Get A Badge and you should see a $0 "Gamemaster" option.
- Click "select" for that Gamemaster badge option and you should see your name as well as the names of people you have assigned badges to in the past.
- Select the appropriate names and they will appear at the right in your cart.
- If you want to assign a badge to someone and their name is not listed, click on "Someone else" and enter their email address, then "Find." If that email address is not found in our system, you can enter their first and last name here.
- It is important to confirm what email address your GMs are using in their accounts. If you assign their badge to a different account, they won't have access to it when they sign into their account and will need to contact [email protected] to have their accounts merged and fixed.
- Click on Checkout once you have assigned the badges you need. You need to complete the transaction as normal, even if it's just listed as $0. Make sure to double-check badge types before finishing, to avoid any accidental charge.
- One badge per account/person. You cannot assign multiple badges to the same name or use a placeholder name of any kind.
- The primary contact for your organization, company, or gaming group is obtaining badges on behalf of your organization. The purchases will not show up in that person's personal transaction history, but in the transaction history of the organization.
- The name in the personal Gen Con account is the name that will be displayed on the badge. It will be displayed as entered- typos and all! To update the personal contact information, you will need to log in to your account and click the “My Profile” link.
- Everyone must have a badge to participate in the show. If you don’t go through the above process, a badge will not be created and one will have to be created at the show. Long lines may be experienced onsite.
- GM badges will be available for pick-up onsite at GM HQ starting the Wednesday before the convention starts; they will not be mailed. Only the Event Coordinator/Organizer and other designates (determined by EO) are eligible to pick-up badge(s). Contact your EO for a smooth check-in process onsite.
- GM badges should be assigned in the system by the time general pre-registration ends in order to ensure a smooth check in process onsite. Badges procured after pre-registration ends may not be ready for pick-up and long lines may be experienced onsite.