Unable to go after refund deadline
Posted by braewe

I don't honestly see any reasonable possible way they could actually enforce someone handing over a badge to someone else, either giving or selling. I'm not endorsing it, but except for the actual picking up stuff at will call I have /never/ not once ever had to show an id to match my badge. And in years past some of the badges has just a day...and in another year the printing wore off the badge anyway.

And with the huge numbers of people this year I /really/ can't see them able to handle that kind of security. Again, not saying to do it. 

Posted by squirecam braewe

braewe wrote:
I don't honestly see any reasonable possible way they could actually enforce someone handing over a badge to someone else, either giving or selling. I'm not endorsing it, but except for the actual picking up stuff at will call I have /never/ not once ever had to show an id to match my badge. And in years past some of the badges has just a day...and in another year the printing wore off the badge anyway.
And with the huge numbers of people this year I /really/ can't see them able to handle that kind of security. Again, not saying to do it. 
you are just making the argument for more security. I.e. When you show your badge you better have a matching Id.

there are two choices for those people now. Buy single day badges or don't go.

anything else should result in a gencon ban if caught. 

Posted by aaronmlopez

Can someone going to Gen Con return badges for someone else and have them credited to the owners account? (For example: If the OP of this thread mailed me their badge, could I take it to customer service at Gen Con and have it credited to the OPs account, or would the OP actually have to be there in person?)

Posted by divachelle aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
Can someone going to Gen Con return badges for someone else and have them credited to the owners account? (For example: If the OP of this thread mailed me their badge, could I take it to customer service at Gen Con and have it credited to the OPs account, or would the OP actually have to be there in person?)
To the best of my understanding, there are no badge refunds at all at this point.

Posted by aaronmlopez divachelle

divachelle wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:
To the best of my understanding, there are no badge refunds at all at this point.

You are correct. (From the FAQ page: "After July 2, all ticket refunds can only be done onsite. The last day to refund a Gen Con 50 badge is July 2; generic tickets are only refunded via system credit. There is no cash refund on generic tickets. System credits do not expire and can be used to purchase badges or tickets for any future Gen Con.")

Posted by garhkal squirecam

squirecam wrote:
braewe wrote:
you are just making the argument for more security. I.e. When you show your badge you better have a matching Id.

Yup/  The more people point out flaws, the more it pushes the company to correct those flaws.. So if that means more on site security, that's what GC will do..

Posted by cinnibar garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Has gencon ever had an issue with scalping??
Not yet, but now that it has been shown there is a limit to the resource, some will be exploring making money that way, as some do with reselling Gen Con new games on ebay minutes into the Vendors opening and selling out.

If the badges are transferable, then Gen Con has to get ahead of watching someone buy 50 or a thousand badges and hawking them on Amazon for double the price.

I assume Gen Con has the non-transferable policy for this reason.  They want to sell to registrants, not to scalpers.

Posted by maijstral2 cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Not yet, but now that it has been shown there is a limit to the resource, some will be exploring making money that way, as some do with reselling Gen Con new games on ebay minutes into the Vendors opening and selling out.If the badges are transferable, then Gen Con has to get ahead of watching someone buy 50 or a thousand badges and hawking them on Amazon for double the price.
I assume Gen Con has the non-transferable policy for this reason.  They want to sell to registrants, not to scalpers.

about 8 years ago when the football stadium was still attached to the convention center they had an exhibition game on the Saturday of Gencon. Thousands of Colts fans flooding the area with Thousands of gamers. A friend and I were walking from the Embassy to the convention center and saw scalpers on nearly every corner one of the scalpers offered us tickets to the game and when we declined he stopped us and asked us "whats with all these people with backpacks and why are they headed to the stadium? " none of them were interested in buying tickets and he was curious as to what the heck was going on. We had to laugh at told him about Gencon and he would have better luck with True Dungeon tickets :P.

It always struck me as funny that someone who made money scalping tickets had no idea what events were going on in the area. So I don't think we are going to have scalping problems at Gencon, I don't even think it would occur to most scalpers we are even a market...yet. Next year I think it will be back to normal and won't sell out and the scalpers will have missed thier opportunity.

Posted by garhkal maijstral2

bobvilla wrote:
cinnibar wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Not yet, but now that it has been shown there is a limit to the resource, some will be exploring making money that way, as some do with reselling Gen Con new games on ebay minutes into the Vendors opening and selling out.If the badges are transferable, then Gen Con has to get ahead of watching someone buy 50 or a thousand badges and hawking them on Amazon for double the price.

about 8 years ago when the football stadium was still attached to the convention center they had an exhibition game on the Saturday of Gencon. Thousands of Colts fans flooding the area with Thousands of gamers. A friend and I were walking from the Embassy to the convention center and saw scalpers on nearly every corner one of the scalpers offered us tickets to the game and when we declined he stopped us and asked us "whats with all these people with backpacks and why are they headed to the stadium? " none of them were interested in buying tickets and he was curious as to what the heck was going on. We had to laugh at told him about Gencon and he would have better luck with True Dungeon tickets :P.It always struck me as funny that someone who made money scalping tickets had no idea what events were going on in the area. So I don't think we are going to have scalping problems at Gencon, I don't even think it would occur to most scalpers we are even a market...yet. Next year I think it will be back to normal and won't sell out and the scalpers will have missed thier opportunity.

Serves him right.  BUT unlike event tickets, i don't think there IS a way scalpers can get ahold of Gencon/True dungeon tickets to make copies of.  As they are different year to year.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.