Gen Con should sell packaged
Posted by buffythecatslayer jamster2022

jamster2022 wrote:
Buy 11 badges at $110, insure each one at $10. Get 11 time slots for the hotel lottery. Book hotels using the best slots of those 11. The next day, return 10 badges for full price less the insurance money ($100). Nice arbitrage opportunity. 

First, you could do that right now, since badge returns can be done until June, with just a $10 fee.  Second, you'd have to create 11 accounts to get 11 shots at the lottery, and then each account could only buy one room. 

Posted by mikeboozer maijstral2

bobvilla wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
Since it's over a month between when they mail the packages and when the Con starts, unlikely that scenario could arise.  It should have been resolved weeks before, unless the person was taking an extended vacation prior to coming to Indy.

Not always, a few years back my badge and tickets arrived the day before the con. At this point I had already reported them missing and rebought everything and fortunately for me they allowed me to return the duplicates for a refund.  Customer service was awesome getting me replacements then getting me a refund but it was a heartstopper for a while there and now I do Will call only. ( I did try mail again this year since its all registered now).

I did say unlikely, it does happen but it's not likely.

Posted by mikeboozer buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
jamster2022 wrote:
Buy 11 badges at $110, insure each one at $10. Get 11 time slots for the hotel lottery. Book hotels using the best slots of those 11. The next day, return 10 badges for full price less the insurance money ($100). Nice arbitrage opportunity. 

First, you could do that right now, since badge returns can be done until June, with just a $10 fee.  Second, you'd have to create 11 accounts to get 11 shots at the lottery, and then each account could only buy one room. 

We will look very unkindly on you creating multiple accounts and buying badges on them for this purpose.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen  Con LLC

Posted by buffythecatslayer

I agree, something that should never be done. I was just pointing out that the system could be gamed that way right now, my insurance suggestion would not change that.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.