Gen Con should sell packaged
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Ok, that should read “Package Insurance”.

I think they should add an option to buy insurance when getting a badge, that would cover losing any materials, or allow cancellations up to the day of the Con. Yes, such a system could be abused, but as more events go to E-tickets, it could work.

I would pay $10 to guarantee that if my stuff is lost, I’m not out over a thousand dollars in airfare and hotel for a Con I can no longer get into.

Posted by selene314

I'm pretty sure they'll sell you a replacement badge and events tickets if you report yours lost, even when the Con is sold out. So you'd only be out $200 or so depending on what tickets you lost.

Posted by funny-shaped dice selene314

selene314 wrote:
I'm pretty sure they'll sell you a replacement badge and events tickets if you report yours lost, even when the Con is sold out. So you'd only be out $200 or so depending on what tickets you lost.

No.  Once you take possession of your badge - or it is confirmed delivered to your home - the only way to replace the badge is to buy a new one. If Gen Con is sold out, you are out of luck.  This is how they ensure you don't purchase a badge and then scalp it.

Posted by funny-shaped dice

https://www.gencon.com/attend/policies#registration

Lost and Misplaced Badges and Event Tickets

Gen Con cannot replace lost, stolen, or forgotten badges and/or event tickets. Please be responsible with your convention materials. Lost, stolen, or forgotten items can be repurchased at full cost (if available). It is recommended you check with the Gen Con Show Office to see if your materials have been turned in to Lost and Found before buying new materials. Gen Con LLC assumes no responsibility for lost, stolen, or forgotten materials.

Posted by squirecam

Use will call if you dont want to risk losing it.

You can still lose stuff after you pick it up at will-call.  So, you lose your stuff Thursday night, you’re now stuck in Indianapolis for 3 more days, unable to get into the Con or attend your events.

Posted by selene314 funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
https://www.gencon.com/attend/policies#registration
Lost and Misplaced Badges and Event Tickets
Gen Con cannot replace lost, stolen, or forgotten badges and/or event tickets. Please be responsible with your convention materials. Lost, stolen, or forgotten items can be repurchased at full cost (if available). It is recommended you check with the Gen Con Show Office to see if your materials have been turned in to Lost and Found before buying new materials. Gen Con LLC assumes no responsibility for lost, stolen, or forgotten materials.

Huh, that "if available" is new.

The first time badges sold out we had this reply:
https://www.gencon.com/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/12637-tickets
"To be clear you can repurchase items that are lost, stolen, or forgotten. They are still in the system."

Posted by dgoodchild

I always do will call because of the replacement policy (which I find ridiculous, FYI). 
That said, I've been curious about one situation that might arise.
What happens if a mailed package is confirmed delivered AFTER someone has left and is on the road/train/flight/shuttle/transporter pad, etc.? It might be confirmed delivered by the time you get there and report it lost, but it wasn't available to you by the time you had to leave for the con. Probably a fringe situation, I know but still, I'm curious how Gen Con would handle that.

Since it's over a month between when they mail the packages and when the Con starts, unlikely that scenario could arise.  It should have been resolved weeks before, unless the person was taking an extended vacation prior to coming to Indy.

Posted by mikeboozer

To be clear, we will allow you to repurchase lost or misplaced (By you) badges and tickets. They are in the system and have already been sold. If you miss an event then that ticket is no longer available. 

If a USPS packet gets to your late by any acceptable standard, and we can confirm that then we will replace it, as well as any packet that is marked as lost at no cost. We mail these packets out in plenty of time to get to our attendees.
Mail returned to us will be taken to the show and available at Will Call. 

Full Policy Here:

Lost and Misplaced Badges and Event TicketsGen Con cannot replace lost, stolen, or forgotten badges and/or event tickets. Please be responsible with your convention materials. Lost, stolen, or forgotten items can be repurchased at full cost (if available). It is recommended you check with the Gen Con Show Office to see if your materials have been turned in to Lost and Found before buying new materials. Gen Con LLC assumes no responsibility for lost, stolen, or forgotten materials.

Gen Con LLC is not responsible for items lost in the mail (via the U.S. Postal Service) or items marked “delivered” by the USPS tracking system. If you chose to have your items shipped via USPS, we will reprint your badge and event tickets, as long as the USPS site lists your package as lost or not yet delivered. If you chose USPS and the package is listed as “delivered”, you will be responsible for purchasing a new badge and any associated tickets. Any returned mail will be available for pickup at the Will Call kiosk on site.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager 
Gen Con LLC 

So, at least that eliminates the not being able to get back into the Con issue, but not the cost.  The other issue was for full refunds even for last minute cancellations.  Things happen, kids get sick, people get injured.  It would be nice if there was a way to not also lose money when that happens... oh yeah, they call it insurance :-)  To prevent scalping, or sneaking in for free, you'd have to mail the entire packet back before you got credit.

Posted by squirecam buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
So, at least that eliminates the not being able to get back into the Con issue, but not the cost.  The other issue was for full refunds even for last minute cancellations.  Things happen, kids get sick, people get injured.  It would be nice if there was a way to not also lose money when that happens... oh yeah, they call it insurance :-)  To prevent scalping, or sneaking in for free, you'd have to mail the entire packet back before you got credit.
They will not, nor should they, have to issue a refund for a last minute cancellation. 

Posted by hendelbolaf

They only take 10% off refunds so that is not much to prevent fraud and gaming of the system such as the housing lottery. They even refunded us with GenCon credit AFTER an event was over one year when we missed it because of some unavoidable circumstances.

The GenCon folks are great and the current system works well for me.

Posted by buffythecatslayer squirecam

squirecam wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
They will not, nor should they, have to issue a refund for a last minute cancellation. 

That's the insurance part, not free.  If they ever offer insurance, and you don't take it, then no, you don't get a refund.

Posted by selene314

You can buy travel insurance from an insurance company.

Gen Con as a company is only like twenty people. They're not going to add an insurance business.

Posted by buffythecatslayer selene314

selene314 wrote:
You can buy travel insurance from an insurance company.
Gen Con as a company is only like twenty people. They're not going to add an insurance business.

I never suggested they become an insurance company, don't read in things that are not there.  They would process the refund the same way they do now (system credit or CC refund), except if you've paid the insurance fee, you'd be allowed to return the package, and get a full refund (minus the admin fees) for your package, as long as you notified them by the Thursday start of the Con.  That's it, just a bit of extra work for a one of their employees.  This would only be for the badge/event tickets, would not include refunds on hotels.

Posted by funny-shaped dice mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
To be clear, we will allow you to repurchase lost or misplaced (By you) badges and tickets. They are in the system and have already been sold. If you miss an event then that ticket is no longer available. 

Thanks for the clarification Mike.  We can pay full purchase price to replace the badge or tickets.

Posted by maijstral2 buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Since it's over a month between when they mail the packages and when the Con starts, unlikely that scenario could arise.  It should have been resolved weeks before, unless the person was taking an extended vacation prior to coming to Indy.

Not always, a few years back my badge and tickets arrived the day before the con. At this point I had already reported them missing and rebought everything and fortunately for me they allowed me to return the duplicates for a refund.  Customer service was awesome getting me replacements then getting me a refund but it was a heartstopper for a while there and now I do Will call only. ( I did try mail again this year since its all registered now).

Posted by jamster2022

Buy 11 badges at $110, insure each one at $10. Get 11 time slots for the hotel lottery. Book hotels using the best slots of those 11. The next day, return 10 badges for full price less the insurance money ($100). Nice arbitrage opportunity. 

Posted by hendelbolaf jamster2022

jamster2022 wrote:
Buy 11 badges at $110, insure each one at $10. Get 11 time slots for the hotel lottery. Book hotels using the best slots of those 11. The next day, return 10 badges for full price less the insurance money ($100). Nice arbitrage opportunity. 
Anyone could do that now. They just buy eleven badges at $110 each and return 10 for only a loss of $110 but ten more tries at the housing lottery. Believe me, it is being done like that already...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.