Auction
Posted by jerrytel mscaveney

mscaveney wrote:
jimmythesaint wrote:
I would like to buy a beer for whoever put the expected auction times in the event listing this year. 

It's been a minute (read: 14 years) since I last attended Gen Con auction, so it was incredibly helpful to see it broken into chunks so that I know EXACTLY when I need to attend if I'm looking for X game or supplement

I think our goal will be to try to have that schedule kept to the best of our ability - again - check onsite or somewhere online where I will post the daily schedule to ensure you do not miss your expected categories.

Posted by qwaserity

Me: I never make it to the auction. I never know when stuff I want is being sold.

GenCon: Here's our auction schedule for this year.

Me: Dang it! Let me see that schedule...

Posted by quarex

Yesssssss

I had not thought of that entirely reasonable hindrance to attending, probably because anyone I know who has any interest knows just to ask me and I will issue a report on when things that person is interested in are going up.  This new system is TAKING MY JOB

Posted by ubermx jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
I will be replacing Katie this year as the point of contact for most things regarding the auction in 2023 and any questions regarding volunteers.
With that said, we have nothing to share currently on anything regarding the auction this year other than the following:
1. Yes - the same pre-approval process will be used again this year
2. Drop Off hours and other policies from previous years will still be in place at this time.
3. Keep an eye on the https://livegameauctions.com/ website for any further updates
Jerry
what can I volunteer to do for a few hours on Wednesday? Thanks. 

Posted by jerrytel ubermx

ubermx wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
I will be replacing Katie this year as the point of contact for most things regarding the auction in 2023 and any questions regarding volunteers.
With that said, we have nothing to share currently on anything regarding the auction this year other than the following:
2. Drop Off hours and other policies from previous years will still be in place at this time.
3. Keep an eye on the https://livegameauctions.com/ website for any further updates
Jerry

We could use more help on Saturday evening than on Wednesday to be honest if you were only thinking of volunteering a few hours. If you are around on Wednesday, just ask for me and we can definitely find something for you to do.

Jerry

Posted by boomerbryce

Am I missing where to start the process for the auction?
Where do you go?

Posted by jerrytel boomerbryce

boomerbryce wrote:
Am I missing where to start the process for the auction?
Where do you go?

If you are referring to where you can register your items that you want to sell?

https://livegameauctions.com/

Posted by ubermx jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
ubermx wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
Jerry

We could use more help on Saturday evening than on Wednesday to be honest if you were only thinking of volunteering a few hours. If you are around on Wednesday, just ask for me and we can definitely find something for you to do.Jerry
thanks. I’ll look for you. Once gencon starts it gets hard to volunteer because of my kids. Fewer people before the con means I am more comfortable being able to volunteer and not worry something will happen. Thanks. 

Posted by boomerbryce

I cannot log in or retrieve myt password...

boomerbryce wrote:

I believe everything has been reset - have you tried creating a new account? 

Posted by adcjones zaphod

zaphod wrote:
I really wish they would expand the space for the auction store and auction. It's such a giant mess and almost impossible to browse without waiting hours and then getting crammed in. It's also run in an extremely disorganized way, with incredibly short hours for dropping off items on Wed and picking them up on Sunday. It would be great to see a real company come in and do this properly with proper staff, good software, and ample space.
Last year I had to wait 40 minutes to get a sign to bid, but then there was no place to sit down or stand. Then I went to the auction store line, waiting 2 hours and then they cut off the line, even while the auctions were going. 
Agreed 100% on the space.  Every single time I go into the auction/store space, the store space is packed full and difficult to trasnverse, while there is plenty of room in the auction area.  Literally two rows of auction chairs could be removed for store expansion and would make all the difference.  HOWEVER---there is a new location!!!  In the Marriott.  Hopefully this will make for more room and doesn't hurt the access of shoppers due to being out of the main convention hallway.

I'm unclear on the max store amount.  Says $75; does this mean $75 per item, or a total of items equal to $75?!  If it's a total of $75 that's awfully low, especially if someone has just a couple of board games to sell!  I do think historically unsold items should not be allowed into the auction; overpriced (overmarket/availability price) should not be allowed.  Also shouldn't allow non-gaming stuff, like random books and DVDs to be honest.  Finally, limiting a sale to 2 of the same items.  I've seen guys bring in boxes of the same board game, upwards of like 20 copies.

I also hope the checkin-process for auction card and selling items, picking them up is quickened.  It's been taking waaaay to long.  Not to mention the wait of everyone to get into the store and look around.  Hopefully this will be alleviated with new location.

Posted by jerrytel adcjones

adcjones wrote:
zaphod wrote:
I really wish they would expand the space for the auction store and auction. It's such a giant mess and almost impossible to browse without waiting hours and then getting crammed in. It's also run in an extremely disorganized way, with incredibly short hours for dropping off items on Wed and picking them up on Sunday. It would be great to see a real company come in and do this properly with proper staff, good software, and ample space.
Last year I had to wait 40 minutes to get a sign to bid, but then there was no place to sit down or stand. Then I went to the auction store line, waiting 2 hours and then they cut off the line, even while the auctions were going. 
Agreed 100% on the space.  Every single time I go into the auction/store space, the store space is packed full and difficult to trasnverse, while there is plenty of room in the auction area.  Literally two rows of auction chairs could be removed for store expansion and would make all the difference.  HOWEVER---there is a new location!!!  In the Marriott.  Hopefully this will make for more room and doesn't hurt the access of shoppers due to being out of the main convention hallway.I'm unclear on the max store amount.  Says $75; does this mean $75 per item, or a total of items equal to $75?!  If it's a total of $75 that's awfully low, especially if someone has just a couple of board games to sell!  I do think historically unsold items should not be allowed into the auction; overpriced (overmarket/availability price) should not be allowed.  Also shouldn't allow non-gaming stuff, like random books and DVDs to be honest.  Finally, limiting a sale to 2 of the same items.  I've seen guys bring in boxes of the same board game, upwards of like 20 copies.
I also hope the checkin-process for auction card and selling items, picking them up is quickened.  It's been taking waaaay to long.  Not to mention the wait of everyone to get into the store and look around.  Hopefully this will be alleviated with new location.

1. For the $75 limit, that is for each individual item placed in the store. You could have 100 $75 priced items placed in the store if you like.
2. The space will be greatly expanded and it is our hope the line for the store can be managed much better as well as access to bidder cards.
3. The aisles in the store will be much wider and the space in the store will be greatly expanded in the new location.

Jerry

Posted by boomerbryce jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
boomerbryce wrote:

I have and I never get an email.  Is there a way to erase my avvounts anbd start over?

boomerbryce wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
boomerbryce wrote:

I have and I never get an email.  Is there a way to erase my avvounts anbd start over?

OK - I just sent you a message via the Gen Con system - send me an email at that address. I am assuming you checked your spam and all that. I am just a middle man with the software/computer guy so please be patient but we will get you sorted.

Jerry

Posted by boomerbryce jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
boomerbryce wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
boomerbryce wrote:

OK - I just sent you a message via the Gen Con system - send me an email at that address. I am assuming you checked your spam and all that. I am just a middle man with the software/computer guy so please be patient but we will get you sorted.Jerry
I cannot find thwt email either -- Cn you send it to op***23@gmail?  

boomerbryce wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
boomerbryce wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
boomerbryce wrote:

OK - I just sent you a message via the Gen Con system - send me an email at that address. I am assuming you checked your spam and all that. I am just a middle man with the software/computer guy so please be patient but we will get you sorted.Jerry
I cannot find thwt email either -- Cn you send it to op***23@gmail?  

Maybe try to register a new account with a different email address?

I am unable to do much more - if you look in the 'my messages' section under your profile picture in the gen con menu you should have a message there with my email.

Jerry

Posted by rgresch

I don't recall seeing it last year, but in the past there were laptops setup that we could login to and see what has and what has sold. Will we be able to check during the con this year?

Posted by jerrytel rgresch

rgresch wrote:
I don't recall seeing it last year, but in the past there were laptops setup that we could login to and see what has and what has sold. Will we be able to check during the con this year?

Yes - we plan to have those in place this year. 

Posted by kevinrg adcjones

adcjones wrote:
=inherit I do think historically unsold items should not be allowed into the auction; overpriced (overmarket/availability price) should not be allowed.  Also shouldn't allow non-gaming stuff, like random books and DVDs to be honest.  Finally, limiting a sale to 2 of the same items.  I've seen guys bring in boxes of the same board game, upwards of like 20 copies.

One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Traditionally, books and DVDs do not take up that much square footage in the store area to really have an impact.   And, generally TOVA stuff does sell.

Overmarket/Overpriced is a hard thing to dictate.  Just not feasible for auction staff to vet out 15K items to make sure they are 'appropriately' priced and historically sell, that should be on the seller.   If you have a $10 item and try for $50, I'd say save your time and energy and don't even bother.   Their website has all the historical data from the auctions so, if you have a question on if something historically sells or is a no sale, can look there.  Regardless of what it is, if something is cheap enough, it will sell.

Boxes of the same game... somewhat agree on that one however, if someone is going to bring in 10 copies of a game and have it at 75% off just to move it, hard to block something like that.  A good deal is a good deal.   Now if someone is going to bring in 100 of the same game and mark it as MSRP and use the area as their own cheap gencon vendor space, yes.. probably should not be allowed.    At least last year though, much of the bulk same game type stuff was in the corner and not all mixed in with everything else.   (I remember there was some bulk Munchkin and Firefly among other things)

As a seller, if you bring in an item where there is now 100 of that same item from another seller, hard to compete against that.  I had a couple items last year that were just washed out by the volume of the same item from one seller and I never would have brought it in if I had known that, but it is what it is.   Could have been 100 of the same item from 100 unique sellers.

I assume some of your suggestions might have been looked at if in the same spot, but hopefully with the larger space some of the issues will be alleviated.   

Posted by qwaserity

Will the consignment hall still be next to the auction hall? I believe I saw the auction was now in a hotel?

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3 5