Auction
Posted by ag_corax jerrytel

Posted by ag_corax jerrytel

jerrytel wrote:
I will be replacing Katie this year as the point of contact for most things regarding the auction in 2023 and any questions regarding volunteers.
With that said, we have nothing to share currently on anything regarding the auction this year other than the following:
1. Yes - the same pre-approval process will be used again this year
2. Drop Off hours and other policies from previous years will still be in place at this time.
3. Keep an eye on the https://livegameauctions.com/ website for any further updates
Jerry
Thank you for this post and information. I wanted to ask your advice. I have inherited a large number of old Avalon Hill war games such as Advanced Squad Leader and the like. Some are unopened. I have considered bringing them to the GenCon auction/store, but I'm not sure if old war games like this would do well there. Is GenCon a good forum for such items or is there another auction/store you would recommend? Any advice you have on this would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Posted by tdb ag_corax

ag_corax wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
I will be replacing Katie this year as the point of contact for most things regarding the auction in 2023 and any questions regarding volunteers.
With that said, we have nothing to share currently on anything regarding the auction this year other than the following:
2. Drop Off hours and other policies from previous years will still be in place at this time.
3. Keep an eye on the https://livegameauctions.com/ website for any further updates
Jerry
Thank you for this post and information. I wanted to ask your advice. I have inherited a large number of old Avalon Hill war games such as Advanced Squad Leader and the like. Some are unopened. I have considered bringing them to the GenCon auction/store, but I'm not sure if old war games like this would do well there. Is GenCon a good forum for such items or is there another auction/store you would recommend? Any advice you have on this would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I'm not Jerry but I have bought and sold games at the GenCon auction.  So here's my 2 cp.

If your goal is to absolutely maximize money, the Auction is probably not the best possible choice.  A lot of the bidders are actually dealers, and they are only looking for good deals.  If a couple enthusiasts are in the room when your item comes up you may do very well.  If not, you'll get maybe half of what it would retail for.  Or maybe less, if the dealers already have a lot of copies.

On the other hand, the fees are very low, and the process is much easier.  You won't have to worry about shipping, feedback, etc.  Drop off the games Wednesday or Thursday, have fun at the con, and come back around Sunday to collect your money and/or unsold goods. 

So as a fairly convenient way to get some money for old games, it's great.  As a way to squeeze every possible nickel from old games, it's probably not ideal.

Posted by quarex

There are multiple sections just for wargames AND if you honestly have unopened copies of old Avalon Hill games those have a decent shot of ending up in the "Crème de la crème" section and getting a lot of attention and quite possibly a higher price than EBay due to the enthusiasm generated when people bid against each other in-person for really unusual things.  Definitely no guarantees of anything, no, but I always sell stuff at the Gen-Con Auction instead of EBay because I like not having to deal with packaging/mailing things and scam bidders.

Posted by jerrytel ag_corax

ag_corax wrote:
jerrytel wrote:
Jerry

Everything Quarex and tdb said is good advice. The Auction does have dedicated war games times and those sections have seemed to get smaller and smaller over the years so it could be a focused group that would be attending and bidding on those sections. 

My additional advice would be to simply do your homework on what the games may typically sell for in other platforms and set your reserves accordingly.

Posted by stormforge

Well with the supposed expansion tot he ICC, if I understood the articles I have seen lately, this might bode well for the auction rooms to get some expansion to them.

Posted by jerrytel stormforge

stormforge wrote:
Well with the supposed expansion tot he ICC, if I understood the articles I have seen lately, this might bode well for the auction rooms to get some expansion to them.

Sorry for the delay in responding. While we cannot predict what will happen in the future we do know the auction will be in a different location this year. We are hoping to get the website updated with this information as soon as possible so everyone has time to plan accordingly.

Jerry

Posted by jimmythesaint

Well that's exciting to hear. Hopefully it's much larger and has better accessibility.

Posted by jerrytel

Still hoping to get an auction page posted on the main Gen Con website here but we can share the auction will be in a much larger space on the 2nd Floor of the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown.

https://livegameauctions.com/2023/04/16/new-auction-location-for-2023/

Posted by kevinrg

Good and potentially bad/good

Good is obviously more space and any lines won't have to contend with the flood of foot traffic.

The potentially bad/good (unknown) is this will have an unknown impact to participation.   Are less people going to come because they don't want to walk to the new location and were going to the auction because it was 'right there' or will you gain people because there is more space and people just weren't going in because it was too crowded so, passed.    The diehards will find it, just don't know how the casual attendee will be impacted.

Hopefully Gencon allows 'We've moved' type displays because I guarantee that the vast majority of people aren't going to have seen any social media posts and just know to come to area X for the consignment/auction.

Posted by quarex

Yeah signage at Gen-Con seems tightly restricted, but hopefully they will do something like that, and certainly they will mention the new location in the program guide.

Posted by jerrytel

We are planning for the first time to have tentative sale categories listed in the events catalog. This will hopefully at least show most people there is an auction running at most times daily and the location.

Other than having the aforementioned page in the program book, having a page on the GC website, and reminding everyone constantly of the new location…we will also ask about other notifications on site we can utilize.

jerry

Posted by jerrytel

Event registration will open on May 1 at the Auction website.
Event registration will close on July 23.

As a reminder, there will be no onsite registration.

We will not be requiring pre-approval on any event submissions this year.

Jerry

Posted by kevinrg

Items can be entered now.

Lets see if I can actually be done early this year and not printing off labels on Tuesday.

Posted by jerrytel kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
Items can be entered now.
Lets see if I can actually be done early this year and not printing off labels on Tuesday.

Yup - I added a few items earlier today and all seems to be working as expected.

Jerry

Posted by jerrytel

The registration website may still have a few references to last year's approval process or the vaccination wristbands - you can disregard those - we are in the process of making any needed updates.

Posted by jimmythesaint

I would like to buy a beer for whoever put the expected auction times in the event listing this year. 

Posted by jerrytel jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:
I would like to buy a beer for whoever put the expected auction times in the event listing this year. 

Ha - it was Marian's idea to make sure there was more exposure regarding the new location. Just tell everyone you know where we will be and I will call it even :)

Posted by quarex jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:
Yeah this is amazing.  And gives me even more reason to try to convince Gen-Con to revise the name of the category the events are in!  Remove the Escape Rooms and rename the category "And Whatever You Do, Don't Miss:" 

Posted by mscaveney jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:

It's been a minute (read: 14 years) since I last attended Gen Con auction, so it was incredibly helpful to see it broken into chunks so that I know EXACTLY when I need to attend if I'm looking for X game or supplement

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4 5