Im new to all things Gencon
Posted by thorvan

My 5 friends and I are coming to gencon for the first time I would love to be as prepared as possible. I want to do True dungeon but know what all need to do it like when do i need to get tickets or how much they cost. Little stuff like that    

Posted by selene314

FYI - you posted this in the GMs section.

You need to buy a badge to get into Gen Con in general. These are already on sale.
And then you need tickets to the specific games you want to play. Event tickets will go on sale May 19.

You might want to subscribe to Gen Con's newsletter for updates, reminders, and helpful links.

True Dungeon is expensive. Last year there was a $78 run and a $48 repeat of an old run.
Most other games are $2-$6. 

True Dungeon is also very popular, so if you and your friends want to get 6 tickets together, you should use the Wishlist function. A week or two before registration opens, the schedule of events will appear with an option to add tickets to your wishlist. Your group should do the following:
- Buy your badges
- Add each other as friends on this site
- Look through the schedule and choose a couple of True Dungeon runs to try to get tickets for.
- Put 6 tickets to each run in your wishlist, one for each player. (Assigning the tickets to specific friends can also be done later.)
- On May 19 at noon (Indianapolis time), click on "process wishlist." This will put tickets in your cart if they are available, i.e. if you clicked faster than anyone else who wanted those same tickets.
- If you got more than one set of tickets, drop them from your cart before checking out.

Posted by cincinatas

Definitely shoot for trying to get tickets when registration opens at noon eastern on May 19th but if none of you are able to get the tickets, don't panic! It has become somewhat of a common practice that some people will grab all ten tickets and then advertise on the True Dungeon Forums looking to fill out the group. This is usually done so that people can get organized prior to the start time given the sometimes hectic atmosphere in the True Dungeon area. It also can allow for some Q&A to remove any mysticism/confusion new/er players may have about True Dungeon and how it tends to work.

The True Dungeon forums are also a great place to go and start doing some research ahead of time so you're hopefully not as overwhelmed come your run time. Good luck and have fun!

Posted by armadilloal

In fact, if you're looking for 6 tickets yourself, it might not be the worst idea ever to try to buy all 10 tickets yourself and try to get 4 friendly regulars to join you via the True Dungeon forums.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

TD is one of the few events where you can buy more than 2 tickets for yourself.  However, if you're in a group, make sure everyone has friended everyone else, and when you buy TD tickets, buy them in the name of each person.  This way you won't have to transfer them later to allow the other people to enter TD separately from you.

Posted by quarex

Also if you do not manage to get True Dungeon tickets, do not worry, there is more than enough going on that you will not even have a chance to lament it!

Posted by boc_mage quarex

quarex wrote:
Also if you do not manage to get True Dungeon tickets, do not worry, there is more than enough going on that you will not even have a chance to lament it!
True for some and honest (non snark) real reason enough to cancel badge/con for others if they miss on TD tickets. Why i'm glad i can cancel hotel room after event reg if needed.

True Dungeon is polarizing a large part due to it's cost. I adore it and if not for it i'd skip the con and i'm not the only one. 

I get why others don't value it as it's expensive to even try anymore. 

A big part of Gen Con is the fear of missing out. Don't stress as that's very much true. As big as this con is there is always something awesome going on somewhere. No way you or anyone else can ever see it all. Just go with it and and enjoy whatever it is that you enjoy doing.

Posted by hendelbolaf

True Dungeon is nice, but I will be honest, I was let down by my first experiences with it. Like everything, the more you do it, the better, I am sure, the experience will become.

I found that we were noobs out of a group of ten and that a few in the group who were veterans seemed to try and run things for everyone.

On top of that we did not have very many of the really good tokens, just what we received in our initial package. Of course you can go to the dealers room and purchase any token you want like they are rare collectible cards or something.

In the end with a cost of nearly $80 for a session of about two hours and the need to run through it multiple times to really get good and enjoy it and the extra cost of collecting tokens, I would rather spend my time in a 5 hour RPG with a character of my design playing with my imagination and dice. To each his own I suppose.

True Dungeon is fun, but just not my cup of tea... 

Posted by armadilloal

I found that we were noobs out of a group of ten and that a few in the group who were veterans seemed to try and run things for everyone.

It all depends on who you're with.  I've always found that the veterans I've been paired with are more than happy to let new players take the point and let them see what's going on.

Unfortunately, the only way to control that is to buy all the tickets yourself, which isn't really viable for most people.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.