Alternative Format to an FFG game?
Posted by papalorax

Are there any issues with running an alternative format to one of the FFG LCG games? Does FFG have veto power? As FFG is always running events, it would clearly interfere with something in their event schedule although I would obviously prefer to have it not overlap with their premier event for the game.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded

I can't imagine any company wouldn't want people playing their game in some way, shape, or form, whether it's in an "official" event through the company or something more independent.  

Posted by papalorax

They are a big company with a massive influence over GenCon. It would not shock me if they prevent this from happening just as a general rule so as not to impact their attendance.

They may also do it out of protection for the "brand". I don't think the alt format would be viewed that way at all...but who knows. Sometimes big companies take the easy route of saying no to everything so that they don't have to deal with picking and choosing and upsetting some people.

Posted by derekguder

Companies and publishers do not review event submissions other than their own. There is no approval process or consistent veto power, though there are certainly extenuating circumstances.

Usually, the most control companies will influence over events would be something like only allowing specific partners to run officially sanctioned events, or similar.

If you just want to run a variant event, you should be able to do it without any issue. Just submit a detailed submission so potential players know what to expect and do your best to pick a time you think might not overlap with key competing events (though that is more for your own benefit, so players aren't pulled away by the official event).

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by boardcrunch papalorax

papalorax wrote:
Are there any issues with running an alternative format to one of the FFG LCG games? Does FFG have veto power? As FFG is always running events, it would clearly interfere with something in their event schedule although I would obviously prefer to have it not overlap with their premier event for the game.

Papalorax, which FFG game were you looking to run a variant of? I have run FFG related events 2 years running now, ~3,000 player hours last year, so I am sure I can help logistically for you. I was provided a nice chunk of real estate last year which I highly utilized but depending on your FFG game, I could likely roll you into our schedule. 

The bonus is we are big enough now to warrant a HQ table, I purchased internet last year for every day and I have a nice sized support group coming in this year.

​​​​​​​Let me know if I can help.

Posted by papalorax boardcrunch

xwingevents wrote:
papalorax wrote:

Papalorax, which FFG game were you looking to run a variant of? I have run FFG related events 2 years running now, ~3,000 player hours last year, so I am sure I can help logistically for you. I was provided a nice chunk of real estate last year which I highly utilized but depending on your FFG game, I could likely roll you into our schedule. The bonus is we are big enough now to warrant a HQ table, I purchased internet last year for every day and I have a nice sized support group coming in this year.
Let me know if I can help.
It is a draft format for Game of Thrones LCG - using preset cubes instead of their draft product.

I would cap it at 64 and probably want 6 rounds/hours. 

So room for 32 simultaneous card games.

Posted by boardcrunch

Shoot me an email to [email protected], I am sure we can work in space for you and get you some badges for judges, etc. (bonus points if you can run it on Saturday).

New Post Sign in to write a new post.