Dining options in 2021
Posted by raptorov

I was really bummed when Scotty's closed, but we still had The Ram. Now with that gone, all the special gamer friendly places are no more. I hope something steps up and makes gamers feel welcome, because that honestly was something that made GenCon and Indianapolis special. 
I have gone to the big convention in Columbus, OH before, but once you step out of the convention center, it is like the city would just rather you go away. There is no good atmosphere.
I hope Indy can rebuild its wonderful atmosphere soon.

Posted by brooks raptorov

raptorov wrote:
I was really bummed when Scotty's closed, but we still had The Ram. Now with that gone, all the special gamer friendly places are no more. I hope something steps up and makes gamers feel welcome, because that honestly was something that made GenCon and Indianapolis special. 
I have gone to the big convention in Columbus, OH before, but once you step out of the convention center, it is like the city would just rather you go away. There is no good atmosphere.
I hope Indy can rebuild its wonderful atmosphere soon.

I very much agree with this. I'll be interested to see if Paizo and Privateer Press are able to partner with other venues downtown like they did with Scotty's and The Ram. I have a literal row of growlers and pint glasses on top of my bookshelves from both establishments and it was great fun to look forward to the movie schedules and wait to see how they tweaked their menus for the convention. And there was also the banners and décor. 

I'm from Columbus and I also agree regarding Origins. I wouldn't say the downtown wants you to go away, but the local establishments certainly do not embrace the convention the way Indianapolis does Gen Con. Origins is also (traditionally, but not this year) competing with Pride Week, which takes away some attention from it. Regardless Indy does seem to really try creating a welcoming environment for Gen Con and I hope the restaurant closures don't start to take away from that. 

Posted by alans

Also unfortunate that "Munchkin Tavern" got axed. 

Posted by hahnarama

The Ram is on life support with the few remaining restaurants they have in the Pacific Northwest

Now on to the good news, it was just out today that Goodwood Brewing is moving into the old RAM location they should be opened by July 5th

Posted by aldctjoc hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:Now on to the good news, it was just out today that Goodwood Brewing is moving into the old RAM location they should be opened by July 5th

To build on this:

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/goodwood-brewpub-to-open-indianapolis-location-in-former-ram-restaurant/

I don’t know anything about that chain (if you could call 3 current locations a “chain”). But I’m always up for trying a new place. Here’s to hoping it’ll be good! There’s never too many good eating spots.

Posted by quarex

I will definitely give whatever ends up in the Ram's spot a chance!  Well, maybe on Tuesday night, assuming it might instantly end up as popular as the Ram with people who did not even realize it closed and try to go there ;)

Posted by garhkal

On the reason steak and shake is popular for con-gamers, is cause its pretty much the ONLY source of food after 11pm, within a few miles of the con...

Posted by lore seeker garhkal

garhkal wrote:
On the reason steak and shake is popular for con-gamers, is cause its pretty much the ONLY source of food after 11pm, within a few miles of the con...

Ah. That explains it. I knew it couldn't be quality...

Posted by garhkal

I've often remarked, that CAUSE of gencon (and other conventions indi holds), maybe downtown needs MORE fast food joints in a 3-4 block radi of the con center, that DO stay open till say 2-3 am...

Posted by lore seeker garhkal

garhkal wrote:
I've often remarked, that CAUSE of gencon (and other conventions indi holds), maybe downtown needs MORE fast food joints in a 3-4 block radi of the con center, that DO stay open till say 2-3 am...

That would be nice.

I remember when I went to EVO in 2019, there was a 24 hour McDonald's across the street from Mandalay Bay. Really handy to have a cheap, quick dining option so conveniently available. Wish there were more places like that in Indy.

Posted by matthias9

There used to be a McDonald's diaganol from the Convention center -- in the ground floor of the Hyatt. Been gone a few years now, I guess. Maybe more, time flies.

Anyway, I imagine downtown rent in that area is bonkers and it is probably not as in-demand the other 51 weeks of the year.  So, it's not like no one thought of it.  It's just likely that the math doesn't add up.  

Posted by fethbone lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Ah. That explains it. I knew it couldn't be quality...
I've never been to the ICC S&S so I don't know if it used to be 24hrs, but it currently states it is closed 1200AM-1000AM....I feel like I saw it open past midnight previously, but my memory is not the most reliable at GenCon after midnight. :)

Not sure if there is currently a dining curfew in Indy that may be lifted by September...

Arby's, White Castle, BDubs, Kilroy's, etc., are all open past 11PM and within 0.5 mile of the con.

Posted by lore seeker

Arby's? I know there used to be one across from the Hilton Garden Inn, but that closed almost a decade ago. Is there another one?

Posted by fethbone lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Arby's? I know there used to be one across from the Hilton Garden Inn, but that closed almost a decade ago. Is there another one?

45 E South St, Indianapolis, IN 46225-2614

OK, so technically exactly 0.5mi away from the ICC as google maps flies.

My bougie-hipster yet slightly ogling heart also misses Punch Bowl Social and Tilted Kilt for late-night food and drinks near the ICC.

Posted by lore seeker

Nice. Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Posted by garhkal lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
garhkal wrote:

That would be nice.I remember when I went to EVO in 2019, there was a 24 hour McDonald's across the street from Mandalay Bay. Really handy to have a cheap, quick dining option so conveniently available. Wish there were more places like that in Indy.

Heck, i'd be ok with a waffle house/denny's..

Posted by hahnarama

does no one use Clustertruck? 

Posted by quarex

I am usually more surprised that anyone is still eating that late when Gen-Con is the time of year I go to bed earliest!  Gotta get to the breakfast buffet before the lines start really forming, and then stand in line at the Consignment Store before those lines really start forming!  Haha.

(Also I always jump to Steak 'n' Shake's aid because I am from its hometown and I have loved it my entire life, but yeah, being closed from Midnight to 10 is definitely not going to help continue endearing that location to the congoers)

Posted by scswan hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
does no one use Clustertruck? 
I thought I was the only one. 
I love it. Only complaint is that they aren't open that late.
Also have used the one in Columbus. 

Posted by hahnarama

as we get closer to opening day I will post a a discount code for 50% off for first-time customers only

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4 5