planning for 2019 - quick questions
Posted by grtbrt

One option is to find out of your company (or your spouses ) has a contract with a hotel chain that has a location in Indianapolis . Hilton etc... depending on the wording of the contract they have to honor the contract rate -even during a normal sell out period .

If any of you have a Eli Lily connection you should be able to get that rate even during Gen Con . I know people that did that in 2017 and 2018.  

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Some contracts are more generous, but in many of those cases, the hotels only have to honor the contract rate if the guest can show the travel was work-related.  But, certainly a good thing to try; all they can say is no.

Posted by captain 10beers buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
Maybe the Conrad had messed it up, but all the other hotels (Westin, both Marriots, Hilton) I tried to book last year right after the Con already had blocked out most of their rooms for this year's Con, and were charging high rates for any remaining rooms.  I'm sure they have it figured out for next year as well.
I pity any poor sucker that has to travel to Indy the first week of August that isn't going to Gen Con, and wants to stay downtown. :-)
We ran into a guy from Texas who's friend was having a bachelor party and was upset that they had to stay 15 miles away because they couldn't get a downtown hotel room last year. We assured him all the rooms were gone by March and there was nothing his buddy could of done.  I bought him a beer and told him to just have a great time.

Posted by bmccool [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
I'll keep this short so it gets read and hopefully a few replies.
A group of us are planning to attend 2019 Gen Con (Aug 1-4, 2019) and we'll each be registering here and buying our badges individually once they become available.
I THINK is it too soon to think about hotels (the connected ones seem to not be available).
So I THINK I should wait until the badges go on sale here (sometime in Jan or Feb of 2019), and then we should each immediately reserve a room through this site once we have our badge #s (or whatever we use to prove we've purchased badges).  We'd then plan to make flight plans immediately after that.
Reasonable plan? Or am I missing something obvious?
Thanks for reading and for any comments ;)
I also have a group of friends that are trying to plan ahead. We are thinking about finding an airbnb or house to rent out near the convention center so that it is cheaper for all of us.

Posted by brooks bmccool

bmccool wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
I'll keep this short so it gets read and hopefully a few replies.
A group of us are planning to attend 2019 Gen Con (Aug 1-4, 2019) and we'll each be registering here and buying our badges individually once they become available.
I THINK is it too soon to think about hotels (the connected ones seem to not be available).
So I THINK I should wait until the badges go on sale here (sometime in Jan or Feb of 2019), and then we should each immediately reserve a room through this site once we have our badge #s (or whatever we use to prove we've purchased badges).  We'd then plan to make flight plans immediately after that.
Reasonable plan? Or am I missing something obvious?
Thanks for reading and for any comments ;)
I also have a group of friends that are trying to plan ahead. We are thinking about finding an airbnb or house to rent out near the convention center so that it is cheaper for all of us.

I've never used AirBNB, but apparently some others are having issues with it regarding Gen Con. Just something to be aware of and best of luck getting a place. 

https://www.gencon.com/forums/33-travel-housing-and-dining-2018/topics/14347-airbnb-experience

Posted by technoir

It's never to early to start thinking about booking hotels. I usually book an outside of block room the week before the current Gen Con(yes this is kind of crazy) 
BUT if you book that far in advance your rates will be below 300$. 

MANY people will tell you it's impossible, or you'll lose your room, or blah blah something else. 
Those are not factual statements, as a guy who's been going 21 years, booking out of block for around 5 now, it works. Every year. 

Posted by matthias9 technoir

irontk wrote:
It's never to early to start thinking about booking hotels. I usually book an outside of block room the week before the current Gen Con(yes this is kind of crazy) 
MANY people will tell you it's impossible, or you'll lose your room, or blah blah something else. 
Those are not factual statements, as a guy who's been going 21 years, booking out of block for around 5 now, it works. Every year. 

What hotel are you using?

Posted by kidlidar

According to Travelocity, there are no downtown hotels available as of Sunday.  Closest hotels are about 5miles away at $2=300.00 per night.

Posted by technoir matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
irontk wrote:

What hotel are you using?

Hilton based ones usually. 

Posted by brucesheffer

If you check the room rates not during gencon you will find the nearest hotels are offered at twice their normal rate during gencon.  Our family policy has always been to rent a room on 465 for a reasonable, non-inflated, rate and commute.  The add-on trash fees and taxes we didn't have to pay always paid for our parking and I didn't have to descend into the hell called room reservation.  Now that they have gate 10 and shuttles it really is the best way to go unless you have very small children who need naps or extensive costuming.

Posted by brucesheffer

If you are willing to commute the 50 miles to the ICC, I know an excellent B&B south of Indy for only $100 per night.

Posted by brucesheffer

If you really want to go crazy, you can rent the motel 6 Jacuzzi suite for $70 a night, but you need to do that at least 6 months in advance (I used to reserve right after Gencon).  It is also on 465

New Post Sign in to write a new post.