Changing name on badge
Posted by evilbetty

How would one go about changing the name on their badge? I paid for the badge, and it's still going to be me using it, but the name I go by now, and the name on the badge are no longer the same name. Also, would changing the name on the badge cause problems picking it up? My legal name is the one on the badge.

Posted by marimaccadmin

Unfortunately, you really can't.  You badge is probably already printed; you can change your name in your profile, but if your badge is already printed, it won't make a difference.  More importantly however, you need to bring a government issued ID to pick up your badge, so the name on the ID would have to match the name on your badge.  For next year, should you have a new name on your government issued ID, it's easy enough to change that in the system.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by brotherbock marimaccadmin

Not to have this come across as a complaint, because I get the spot Gencon is in. But I think it would be a good idea for the powers that be to give some thought to some way to let people use a non-government ID name on their badge. 

My reasoning is pretty simple: a significant number of people who attend Gencon are going to be somewhere in the widening category of gender. Someone who is in the middle of transitioning from say John to Jane, might very much prefer to have Jane on her badge, but has yet to reach that point in transition. Gencon is a very welcoming place, I know more than one person myself who use Gencon as a place to test out their targeted gender identity. Having their legal name on the badge, but not the name they are heading for, can be uncomfortable. 

Now, I used to mildly know a guy decades ago who attended Gencon and went by the name The Shard. Had it on his badge and everything. I'm not talking that, opening the badge naming wide open like an Anime Con. But being sensitive to people who are in the middle of a transition would be a very cool thing. 

It could even be as simple as contacting Customer Service and providing the badge name and the government ID name and linking them together. 

Anyway, I would just like to submit that as a suggestion. Don't know OP's reason, but I think this makes sense. :) 

Posted by evilbetty

You have pretty much hit right on my reason for needing the name change. I propose a simple alternative. Have a label maker there, so when I pick up my badge, you can print off the new name to stick over the one on the badge.

Posted by brotherbock evilbetty

kurt77 wrote:
You have pretty much hit right on my reason for needing the name change. I propose a simple alternative. Have a label maker there, so when I pick up my badge, you can print off the new name to stick over the one on the badge.

I wouldn't stick the label right on the badge. But if you were to stick a label onto the outside of the badge holder...left the rest of the badge unobscured. 

I suspect Gencon won't be happy with that--one of their goals I know is preventing badge fraud, printing of fake badges. 

The label on the badge holder would still allow you to present the original badge. But the folks checking badges at places like the exhibit hall won't know what to make of it. 

Marimacc, any chance of any kind of work around here? 

Posted by evilbetty

I can understand how it would be a challenge to strike a balance between preventing badge fraud and accommodating the needs of trans people. I imagine it's too late to institute a policy for this gen con, but quite a few people, myself included, would greatly appreciate it if a way was found to both prevent badge fraud, and also respect the identities of attendees.

kurt77 wrote:
I can understand how it would be a challenge to strike a balance between preventing badge fraud and accommodating the needs of trans people. I imagine it's too late to institute a policy for this gen con, but quite a few people, myself included, would greatly appreciate it if a way was found to both prevent badge fraud, and also respect the identities of attendees.

Completely agree. It shouldn't be too hard. The people at GenCon are good peeps, even when they have to wrangle 60k people. I'm optimistic. 

Posted by nikki brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
kurt77 wrote:

Completely agree. It shouldn't be too hard. The people at GenCon are good peeps, even when they have to wrangle 60k people. I'm optimistic. 

This is a very delicate situation that I only see happening more and more as the years roll by.  I'm looking forward to see what Marimacc and Gen Con has to say about this important precedent and I can understand if it might take a few days of discussing it to come up with an ideal answer.

Posted by marimaccadmin

Hi all,

I'm really not going to be setting any new policy at this point; it's not my call to do so.  I can only say that we require a government ID for Will Call for several important reasons, including accountability, and most importantly, simply to ensure that the person picking up the badge is the person who ordered the badge.  Believe it or not, we've had people try and pick up other people's packets, without the best of intentions. Therefore, we have to have a way to ensure the person picking up the badge is the person who ordered and paid for that badge.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Posted by brotherbock marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
Hi all,
I'm really not going to be setting any new policy at this point; it's not my call to do so.  I can only say that we require a government ID for Will Call for several important reasons, including accountability, and most importantly, simply to ensure that the person picking up the badge is the person who ordered the badge.  Believe it or not, we've had people try and pick up other people's packets, without the best of intentions. Therefore, we have to have a way to ensure the person picking up the badge is the person who ordered and paid for that badge.
Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Completely understandable, and I wasn't saying above that I was sure an answer would even be possible for this Gencon. Just that it seems like a good thing to do, and should be able to be done for future shows while maintaining security. For example, allowing an attendee to specify an ID name and a different Badge Name that would be linked in the system (and again allowing for some reasonable restrictions, not allowing me to go by Lothar of the Hill People on my badge). 

It's not an insurmountable problem with enough time to hash it out, and it's worth doing. :)

Posted by evilbetty

Suggestion, for next year. Legal Name on back of badge, any Name you want on front. 

kurt77 wrote:
any Name you want on front. 

I don't know that I'd like any name, personally. I don't mind seeing badges with "Starwind Lightforce" at a small Anime con. But as a GM and player at GenCon, I'll say that badges with actual names there are dead useful. Now, again, I think the definition of 'actual name' is far broader than what your average Republican senator thinks :) But there's a big difference between a name someone is using as part of their identity and a crazy name they'd use if Gencon let anything go. I don't want to ask my players if "Shwetty Balz" or Mrs Lightforce have turned in their tickets.

I'd think allowing people to contact GenCon staff when registering if they'd like to request a name other than what is on their legal ID could work. People whose identities hinge on these things in my experience would be easy to tell apart from someone who wants their D&D character name on their badge.

And GC could just be plain spoken about it on the reg form. "We understand that issues like gender identity and transition are important to many people. If you would like the name displayed on your badge to be other than the name currently on your government ID, please contact us at [email protected]."

That would discourage the people who the accommodation isn't intended for (Starwind Lightforce), and give Gen Con staff a reason to deny that sort of request. Now, if someone really was in the process of heading for Starwind Lightforce as their eventual government ID name, well...the dialogue will have been started and they can bring their case to the staff. (I've known people named Sunshine and Rainbow before, although granted no Boromir's.)

New Post Sign in to write a new post.