Post early hotel deals here?
Posted by fethbone sjenks

sjenks wrote:
Very slim pickings downtown right now. Not even at ridiculous prices unless I am missing something? I reserved a back up at the Staybridge, ways from the convention center but a extended suite with kitchen so that is nice. Got in block at the Hyatt Regency last year and that spoiled me so I don't really want to go back to $450 for half mile walk.
I would be surprised if there were any downtown rooms in immediate proximity out-of-block available now, no matter what the price. Hotels generally open up reservations approximately a year in advance of the desired date, so I was checking back in July and made my reservation in August. Even then, my friends were checking other hotel sites and never managed to get anything to show up at their preferred hotels.

Posted by sjenks fethbone

fethbone wrote:
sjenks wrote:
Very slim pickings downtown right now. Not even at ridiculous prices unless I am missing something? I reserved a back up at the Staybridge, ways from the convention center but a extended suite with kitchen so that is nice. Got in block at the Hyatt Regency last year and that spoiled me so I don't really want to go back to $450 for half mile walk.
I would be surprised if there were any downtown rooms in immediate proximity out-of-block available now, no matter what the price. Hotels generally open up reservations approximately a year in advance of the desired date, so I was checking back in July and made my reservation in August. Even then, my friends were checking other hotel sites and never managed to get anything to show up at their preferred hotels.

Previous years there was more available even close to the housing lottery date- right now I am only seeing Stay Bridge and The Alexander, Hyatt Regency also has rooms but you need to reserve a whole week. 

Posted by dranthor

I booked my room 2 weeks after gen con at the westin and that was the first day they opened it up.  Last year was unsuccessful in the lottery was at the 6 hour mark. I'll try this year so to get the cheaper price but at least if I don't I have a room

Posted by aldctjoc

How about some not-so-great deals, but for the closest hotel you can get? I got a notification this morning from Booking.com about some Westin rooms being available. I decided to look directly on the Westin site, and with some juggling of dates (because it initially told me that there was nothing there), I found the following:

That's... ick. Especially since it's non-refundable if you go through the hotel's site. But it's there, and someone with a lot of card points or some other way of reducing the pain may be interested.

The Booking.com listing does allow for refunds if done before July 28, so that's the route I took. But it's a 3rd party, so there's risk of miscommunication and reservation loss. Still, though, decent albeit expensive insurance in the event of a bad housing portal time. 

Edit: Clarification - I did the reservation through booking.com, but the notification was from www.openhotelalert.com. Just FYI. 

Posted by scootr5

Thanks for that - I was just able to grab the Westin room on points.

Posted by urvbance

[This post has been removed]

Posted by quarex

There are always a handful of rooms available if you are willing to pay a ridiculously high price.  I just checked the other day when a friend of mine decided to finally commit to going, and there were rooms at the Conrad and the Hilton and the Embassy Suites ... averaging about $500/night, haha.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.