Additional Sessions for Sold Out Games
Posted by cmegus buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
bubba87pug wrote:6 games (in all slots, that I want to play have been sold out since the first day they were available. I check multiple times a day and nothing is being added. It's getting frustrating enough I think this will be the last year my wife and I go to GenCon. We'll simply stick to a closer Con.
Thanks for listening (?) to the rant . . .

You think you're the only person that didn't get any of their primary (or secondary, or tertiary) events?  Plenty of people are in the same boat.  A few take the "I'm never coming to Gen Con again" attitude; the rest find other things to do and still have a blast.  There's 30 hours of Exhibit Hall and over 15,000 events.  If you can't amuse yourself, you're not trying hard enough.

Ouch.

Rough day buffy?

G

Posted by buffythecatslayer

No, an honest reply.  If the only reason someone comes to Gen Con is for one or two specific events, IMO it's a waste of their time & money, and they should stick to local cons.  The rest will have fun even if they don't get their favorite events.

Posted by dranthor

Posted by dranthor

I had 49 events on my wish list, and I only got like 4 of them.  I'm still going and plan to have a great time. I bought a number of generics and look daily to find something else to do that seems interesting.  In the past I have not gotten any of my favorites at times but that doesn't stop me from going and having a great time.

Posted by jpederso

When there's only a couple sessions of a game available and I'm #7500 in the queue, I'm surprised I got any of my choices.  I got a couple and I've filled in my schedule with some interesting games I wouldn't have found otherwise.  I'll have some generics and stop by that session of Gamma World cuz you never know.

Posted by helenbb

I've been in this position before. It has also happened when I registered for a game, only to have the host cancel shortly before the convention. I search through the event catalog, looking for available events that fit into the time I have available. I have found some interesting events this way, and have been introduced to new games and hobbies that I might not have otherwise considered. There is a lot in the event catalog, and it might be worth it to try something new.

Posted by bubba87pug matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
bubba87pug wrote:
6 games (in all slots, that I want to play have been sold out since the first day they were available. I check multiple times a day and nothing is being added. It's getting frustrating enough I think this will be the last year my wife and I go to GenCon. We'll simply stick to a closer Con.
Thanks for listening (?) to the rant . . .

Sorry it's not working out for you.  Gen Con has so much awesomeness, unfortunately that creates tons of demand. You really want to hit that wishlist on the front end and try to get it processed right away.  I imagine you are aware that you can search for events and limit it so you only get events that aren't sold out.  There are open spots in many Escape Rooms, which I have been having fun with in recent years.I have a few things I really like to get into.  But, I'd also say I'd have fun if I was in no official events.  And I think I've even had a year or two where that happened.  Exhibit Hall, game demos, Film Festival, Costumes in front of exhibit hall in Saturday, pickup games in the hotel.  All of that I do every year and it is all stuff you can just do by walk up.  Another great Convention thing is 'Are You a Werewolf', which you can get in with generics.  I also like to try to set a minimum of learning one new game each year.
Good luck!  I hope your convention turns around.
Yeah, I know I'm not the only one in this situation, have signed up for a couple of different games than I'd hoped for, etc.

The plan is to buy a few generic tickets in case something doesn't open up and try to do a walk-in. Also the wife and I are planning on spending a lot of time in the vendor hall playing demo games. We'll probably take a couple years break on cons and the next one will probably be Origins or a local one like TotalCon

Bottom line is we're not at work, we're playing games and adult beverages will be consumed. :-)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.