Scooters
Posted by adzumi

Did any one else have problems with people riding around on those Scooters?  My friend and I damn near got ran into three times during the Con on the side walk. They're nice to have around if you don't feel like walking but people really need to be considerate of others that are using the side walk too.  :-/

Posted by brooks

They're a menace and technically it's illegal for them to be ridden on the sidewalk in Indianapolis. They need to be ridden on the street following all applicable traffic laws. 

If only the police would enforce this. Not long ago a young woman in London was killed by an irresponsible scooter rider. 

Posted by tdb

We had similar experiences. Unfortunately, the city's interest in regulating then seems limited to enforcing fees on the companies that provide them. Once the check clears, the city's  interest wanes until next year. 

Posted by cman811

My biggest issue with the scooters was people leaving them in the walkways to hotels and on the sidewalks in such a way that made people walk around them.  I thought they were pretty dang annoying 

Posted by yog-sothoth in jersey

As someone who tried the scooters, I thought they were pretty awesome.  

Posted by squirecam yog-sothoth in jersey

Several times I saw people riding them just drive into a crosswalk without braking or caring whether people or cars were there. They are accidents waiting to happen.

Posted by ack

Not all of us were maniacs. Some were wise and would say "Passing on your left" and other just notifications. We'd also attempt to use the Bike Lanes (allowed per the sheriff I asked). But allow me to state that if you think that them being on the sidewalk was unsafe, riding them on the streets - it felt an awful lot like the drivers wanted to get the bonus points for plastering the scooter riders into parked cars. 

The road conditions were horrible for such small wheels, each pothole and bad patch job was a chance to face plant. The sidewalks were sometimes crowded and would make it impossible to get through. The drivers wanted to see scooter paste. It was a sub-optimal use case. But, as identified by Yog-Sothoth above, it was still a ton of fun. 

Posted by nikas zekeval ack

ack wrote:
Not all of us were maniacs. Some were wise and would say "Passing on your left" and other just notifications. We'd also attempt to use the Bike Lanes (allowed per the sheriff I asked). But allow me to state that if you think that them being on the sidewalk was unsafe, riding them on the streets - it felt an awful lot like the drivers wanted to get the bonus points for plastering the scooter riders into parked cars. 
The road conditions were horrible for such small wheels, each pothole and bad patch job was a chance to face plant. The sidewalks were sometimes crowded and would make it impossible to get through. The drivers wanted to see scooter paste. It was a sub-optimal use case. But, as identified by Yog-Sothoth above, it was still a ton of fun. 

Hmm, I can't recall, did any of them have lights?  Basically it might have been a visibility issue.  Even a, ahem, "plus size" rider is not as visible as a motorcycle, much less another car.  And one idiot aside I almost didn't see on the way back to the hotel motorcycles have lights to get attention.

Posted by brotherbock ack

ack wrote: it felt an awful lot like the drivers wanted to get the bonus points for plastering the scooter riders into parked cars. 

"Welcome to the party." - Every Bicyclist Ever

Sooooo many drivers get actually furious (not pretend internet furious) when anything other than a god-given automobile is on the street. I'm not sure how those scooters are going to work out. On the one hand, it's great to see more people outside of cars. On the other, I'd rather see them on bikes, or being kept only in bike lanes/streets, and off the sidewalks. I'm not really convinced the scooter riders are more vulnerable than cyclists--maybe even less so. But there will be some growing pains adding them to the mix, for sure.

Posted by lehane

If the scooter-riders are getting on the road then they need to remember they will lose any conflict with a moving car. Injury-wise. I have never thought an insurance company would pay out enough money to make it worth-wile to seek such a losing proposition but some do. 

Then again I grew up in Memphis and well Memphis has a reputation for terrible drivers. I would be surprised to discover if some place else has a higher kill count on Bicyclists than we do. 

Posted by brotherbock lehane

lehane wrote:
If the scooter-riders are getting on the road then they need to remember they will lose any conflict with a moving car.

Cyclists as a group are aware of this, but there may be a learning curve for the scooter folks if they haven't been cyclists prior. On the flip side, maybe people yelling at scooters will divert people from yelling at cyclists ;)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.