Ten dollars to mail a badge, really?
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by nlgplayerone

Come on GenCon. The will call line is WOEFULLY understaffed so it's either wait hours in line or pay $10 for shipping? Next year I guess it will be $20-30? Then $50? Come on.

Posted by andrewj.rager

It's been $10 for years. This isn't a new cost, nor do I expect it to go up like you unreasonably suggested. I take it as a "Processing and Handling" fee more than "Shipping" fee. Lots of extra work must go into sending out all of those packets of badges and tickets. This isn't an outrageous price.

Also, yes at times the line can be slow, but as long as you aren't there Thursday morning you should be more than OK. Lines go pretty quick on Wednesday even when they look long. The staff at the Will Call work hard to get to everyone as quick as possible.

Posted by nlgplayerone

I do 100% appreciate the folks working that line, they were great.

As a late-registering-first-timer last year I got to stand in the will call line a couple times... not the most fun hours I spent at the con. So I got in early this year, and it's $110 for the badge... ok that stings a bit but hey, Gen Con. Then "oh, just kidding it's $120, taxes ya know!" and I'm like oh come on. Then next step it's "hey, just kidding again, it's really $130, S&H ya know!" 

Sigh. It's like buying a concert ticket from ticketmaster!

But it is bolstering to know it's been like that for years now. Thanks for that info.

Posted by traveller

Keep in mind, shipping alone is 6.70 (6.55 commercial) flat rate envelope USPS, more if you include tracking.

Posted by sockarang

GenCon also has no control over taxes. Why are you upset with GenCon over something they cannot control?

Posted by nlgplayerone sockarang

sockarang wrote:
GenCon also has no control over taxes. Why are you upset with GenCon over something they cannot control?
I'm old fashioned; I like the idea of a $5 pint costing $5, not $6.12. It's not just GenCon by any means. I do think it's ok, as a consumer, to expect to pay the advertised price for something. 

Posted by selene314

It's $10 to mail any number of badges and event tickets with tracking and signature requirement.

If you will be arriving Thurs or Saturday morning, $10 is worth not having to wait in line. But the Will Call line is shorter and faster on Wednesday, and it's open all night.

Posted by squirecam

I’d pay $10 not to stand in that line. Whether that’s an hour, or outside, or whatever.

Posted by sockarang nlgplayerone

nlgplayerone wrote:
sockarang wrote:
I'm old fashioned; I like the idea of a $5 pint costing $5, not $6.12. It's not just GenCon by any means. I do think it's ok, as a consumer, to expect to pay the advertised price for something. 
It sounds like a cultural difference then, as in America, we always know that the listed price doesn't include taxes. So that is old fashioned for us.  

Posted by nlgplayerone sockarang

sockarang wrote:
nlgplayerone wrote:
sockarang wrote:
It sounds like a cultural difference then, as in America, we always know that the listed price doesn't include taxes. So that is old fashioned for us.  
Just because that's the way it is doesn't mean it's the way it should be! ;)  It feels like a slippery slope accepting that the advertised price for something doesn't really mean anything. We advertise a price, then add federal tax, state tax, city tax, sharp tax, dull tax, processing fee, convenience fee, handling fee, facility fee, ya momma fee, and any other fees we can think of. Yes, this is outside the scope of GenCon conversation. 

Posted by technoir

The cost is some what ridiculous. It costs no more than 5$ for this shipping, but the cost is the cost. 
I guess you have to pay someone to put it in an envelope as well. 

If they're making 3-4$ off me, I don't care that much 

Posted by qwaserity

If you think about it, you are also paying for the ability to see all of your tickets and badges before you get in Indy. You can rub the badges all over your body and smell the freshness of the tickets in your hands.

You are also paying for the privilege of walking into the convention center Thursday morning and going directly to your 8 a.m. game without stopping or planning when you will stand in Schrodinger's line (you don't know if the line is alive or dead until you look at it).

You can post pictures of your badge on Instagram or facebook to make your friends jealous.

You can realize that you just bought tickets to the same event twice.

You are paying for the excitement of getting a postal notification and a reason to leave work early to go to the post office and get your badge (or is this just me?). 

You are paying for the ability to say "Lines are for peasants."

Posted by kellishaver

I get how it can seem high if you're just buying one badge, but it's $10 for the entire packet, which could be multiple badges and dozens of tickets, not $10 per badge. Over $6 of that is actual shipping and postage rates are also going up at the end of this month. I don't know, I think $10 is more than reasonable for the convenience of not having to wait in line at will call. 

Posted by aldctjoc qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:... You can rub the badges all over your body and smell the freshness of the tickets in your hands.

Have you been spying on me? :-O

;)

Posted by hendelbolaf

$10 is SOOOOO cheap compared to standing in that horrible Will Call line...

It also includes sending your event tickets, so it is not at all outrageous to me.

Posted by rhone1

It always amazes me how much people here complain.

Seriously, if you think $10 is too much, stand in line and pick everything up.  I do think it's too much and stand in line and the line moves well and is fast, even on Wednesday afternoons.  People will post about how terrible the lines are as well, along with everything else.  It's not that bad.

Posted by kittypaws

i have no patience for lines, so I gladly pay the $10 to save me the hassle. my time is more valuable than $10.

I'm more concerned about remembering to pack them in my suitcase. I would hate to leave them behind and then in the middle of the plane ride I pull a home alone and remember that they are sitting on my desk!

Posted by captain 10beers

If your worried about $10.00 at GenCon, you should just stay home.  

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Simple solution to forgetting the badge at home: When the packet arrives, open it to check for accuracy, then immediately pack it in your carry-on, unless you have other trips planned before Gen Con.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
If you think about it, you are also paying for the ability to see all of your tickets and badges before you get in Indy. You can rub the badges all over your body and smell the freshness of the tickets in your hands.

Does that mean I get to rub the badges that aren’t even mine all over my body if they come in the same parcel?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5