Poll: How many of you are continuing to game?
Posted by brotherbock

My D&D group has moved to Zoom meetings (a number of us already use it for work, so it's easy to stay with that platform), and we're continuing on--even increasing the number of sessions (shorter sessions, though).

How many of you have been able to keep gaming through all of this? Let's share some stories, wide open. Is online gaming even helping in any way? Is it harder? Just want to brag about something cool that happened in a game lately?

Let's talk about some normal gaming stuff :)

Posted by tinabear81

Getting back into Society play with Starfinder on roll 20. My 5e group is using roll 20 too. I’m able to play in Society play because I don’t have to deal with the 1 hour in traffic that makes me late for the game.

Posted by brotherbock

I'm the one who lives out of town for my 5e game, so that has been a silver lining--same with work. We live out of town because we want to be away from everything--but the time I usually spend driving is pretty high. So I'm suddenly saving a bunch of time every day, including gaming days.

I GMed a couple of sessions for our group between 5e campaigns, and I used Astral Tabletop for that--really nice mapping there.

Posted by parody

Never got into online tabletop gaming.  I've been playing some board/card games with the other folks in the house on occasion, but otherwise it's all (single-player) video games.

Posted by brotherbock parody

parody wrote:
Never got into online tabletop gaming.  I've been playing some board/card games with the other folks in the house on occasion, but otherwise it's all (single-player) video games.

I never have either. But last fall, one of our players moved 2 hours away, and couldn't make the drive every game weekend. So he started Zooming in to game--we'd setup a laptop, and he'd be there via video. No online mechanics, he just had his sheet and dice in front of him and he'd roll. So now we're just all doing that. GM can share maps with us via the platform, but we don't keep our character sheets in an online format. We just role actual dice in front of us and have printed (or PDF) character sheets. We're just looking and talking to each other over a video conference. A few sessions in now, and it's very enjoyable. Coming from someone who had also never done anything other than sit-down-at-the-same-table gaming.

Posted by parody brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
parody wrote:

I never have either. But...

...you got into online tabletop gaming? :)

I'm glad you've found a solution you like with a group you like.  I've tried a variety of methods over the years (from play-by-post to video conferencing and most things in-between) and it's just not for me.  There's something about being together in person. :shrug:

Posted by brotherbock parody

parody wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
parody wrote:

I never have either. But...

...you got into online tabletop gaming? :)I'm glad you've found a solution you like with a group you like.  I've tried a variety of methods over the years (from play-by-post to video conferencing and most things in-between) and it's just not for me.  There's something about being together in person. :shrug:

I actually did mean to distinguish online 'tabletop' games from online video games or online larps. :) The type of game you're playing doesn't change meaningfully if you take D&D online.

Posted by monkeydragon

I'm gaming more than ever!  Which is good, cuz my baker's butt has been off work for a month.  

My normal game has gone on every week, unlike when we meet in person and often have weeks we have to miss for not having enough people available.  We play pathfinder, which is pretty dependent on the grid, and I didn't want to try to learn a new platform while I was running a game.  But what I DO have is some mad photoshop skillz.  So I made myself a grid, and a bunch of character tokens on their own layers, and I move it all around myself.  Then once or twice a round during combat I paste a quick screenshot into our discord channel, and that's enough visual for the players to go off.  Everyone has their sheet and their dice at home.  It's worked pretty well so far.

My friend is running a D&D one shot turned campaign weekly, just a few of us, and we're using that to adjust to roll20.

I guested in my friend's Curse of Strahd game, also on roll20, and they treated me like a gosh-darn celebrity. It was flattering and delightful.

I'm preparing a one shot to try to run at a virtual convention, since the actual con got canceled and I totes cannot run my LARP remotely.  I will also try to playtest this with various remote groups.  It will be my first time trying to DM 5e.

Then I have ANOTHER 5e one shot on the long term list to design, which will involve the players making characters and playing as their pets.  It will be five cats and a greyhound on an adventure to save their people.

Posted by brotherbock monkeydragon

monkeydragon wrote:
I'm gaming more than ever!  Which is good, cuz my baker's butt has been off work for a month.  
My normal game has gone on every week, unlike when we meet in person and often have weeks we have to miss for not having enough people available.  We play pathfinder, which is pretty dependent on the grid, and I didn't want to try to learn a new platform while I was running a game.  But what I DO have is some mad photoshop skillz.  So I made myself a grid, and a bunch of character tokens on their own layers, and I move it all around myself.  Then once or twice a round during combat I paste a quick screenshot into our discord channel, and that's enough visual for the players to go off.  Everyone has their sheet and their dice at home.  It's worked pretty well so far.
My friend is running a D&D one shot turned campaign weekly, just a few of us, and we're using that to adjust to roll20.
I guested in my friend's Curse of Strahd game, also on roll20, and they treated me like a gosh-darn celebrity. It was flattering and delightful.
I'm preparing a one shot to try to run at a virtual convention, since the actual con got canceled and I totes cannot run my LARP remotely.  I will also try to playtest this with various remote groups.  It will be my first time trying to DM 5e.
Then I have ANOTHER 5e one shot on the long term list to design, which will involve the players making characters and playing as their pets.  It will be five cats and a greyhound on an adventure to save their people.

Have you tried Astral Tabletop? They're giving everyone their premium access, at least for a while, due to the pandemic. You can upload your pre-made gridded maps, or upload maps and it'll overlay a grid. Then you can also go in and draw walls, and turn on active lighting so your players can't see through walls. It's pretty cool, and easy enough to do just that. It also has templates for Pathfinder and 5e character sheets. We used it for a couple of sessions of a game they didn't have sheets for--and I was able to upload PDFs of character sheets for my players as well. Although in the end they just printed sheets at home. We used Zoom to video chat, and Astral to look at the map and move tokens around (you can lock tokens, or let players move them, your choice). Astral can also store PDF images and documents for you to share with the group.

What LARPs do you write? I've been kicking around ideas to run a LARP remotely, haven't quite figured out how to make it smooth yet.

Posted by monkeydragon

That's all stuff that roll20 can do, and we're learning how to use that as we go along.  I may make a switch to it over time as I get familiar with the platform.  I'd like to do more zoom experiments, but those won't work for my regular game, as one of my players is hard of hearing, and needs the text. I'll probably do the zoom with different permutations of players.

My friend and I run Terror and Tentacles (terrorandtentacles.com) which is loosely based on Cthulhu Live.  We basically swiped the mechanics from the beautiful geniuses at Elder Entertainment and modified them for our own use.  It's all horror all the time and we try to balance character driven story, plot driven story and puzzles in different ratios for each scenario.  

We run the games for our friends and then take one to the conventions we go to.  Last year was our FIRST year running at gencon and we felt very special.  

We usually take about six months to fully plan a game, run it for our friends, and then it's ready to go with minor tweaking if we want to run it at a con.  We were working on SPACE MADNESS when the plague hit and planning has been back-burnered until things are less intense.

Posted by quarex

I first tried in 2004 when briefly studying abroad, then again in 2007... I realize it may have gotten better since then, but I found rather quickly that sitting at my computer I found it literally impossible to resist the urge to start playing a different game and only partially paying attention to the table conversation.  Not sure if that is an ADHD issue or a Steam backlog issue...

Posted by xanathon

My D&D group have moved to Roll20 to try to keep playing.  Its not the same though and I don't know how long we will continue with it.  I've been playing Magic Arena just to have something to do in the evenings after work.

Posted by matthias9

My weekly tabletop group has moved to online games via Steam.

Wouldn't mind doing some online RPG but just haven't gotten that done.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.