To "Back Pocket Ribbon"
Posted by ack

Leftist, Snowflake, Safe Place, LGBTQ post to follow. I'd love for this to somehow be seen by the random person (titular BPR) who stopped by our booth. Upvote/Downvote whatever. I just want to get this story out there.GenCon had a huge push this year for "Gaming for All" - making sure that everyone was able to be themselves, himself, or herself. Table Top Gaymers was there with their sponsors providing free ribbons that allowed con-goers to represent as a gaymer or ally and also a set that allowed for specific gender pronoun preferences. Our booth was a sponsor and we gave out a lot of ribbons. With the ribbons displayed by so many, I was frankly amazed at how many LGBTQ folks there were there - and proud of how many identified as an Ally. I have heard the claim of 1 in 10, of which I am still skeptical, but at least in the exhibit hall and with my observation bias, there was a whole lotta pride being shown. I was proud to be a human in 2019 for a little while.But on Sunday, a semi-adult woman (middle to older teen? I've lost my ability to tell ages below 29) asked if she could have a ribbon. She took the Gaymer one. looked at it and put it in her back pocket. I asked if she needed help putting it on and she said "I can't".I, basking in the glow of the Con and the whole LOOK AT US BEING RESPECTFUL HUMANS! vibe I had going on... stupidly asked "Why not?""For all the usual reasons."Duck. Duckity duck duck duck. THIS Is why I hate humanity. This is why I stay out of china shops. This is why I don't watch the news. Cause stupid bullshit like that makes me so very, very angry. There's a girl (XY at least), hiding who they are from most people, who was only able to say something to a random stranger. I offered to go hurt someone for her. No one specific, just a random person. She smiled at that as she left with the ribbon still in her back pocket. She is a brave person and deserves more than living a life hiding the truth. When I say things like "I hate people", this is why. Individuals can be cool. But humanity still needs a good dose of Meteors. And a whole lot more people like "Back Pocket Ribbon" and Table Top Gaymers (Sponsors of the ribbons). 
 https://tabletopgaymers.org/

Posted by quarex

I hear you.  It is always sad to remember that there are still places people have to be careful about who knows them too personally.

Posted by repto

Man, I would have loved to get some ribbons for the fam.  Sorry I missed the booth.  I found the Dealer's Hall really overwhelming this year...

Posted by tdb

We managed to score Ally ribbons, but they were a bit difficult to find. I seem to recall the ribbons being available elsewhere in ICC a few years back.  Anybody know why they're only available in the hall now?

I also saw quite a few ribbons being worn.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 10% for Gaymer, and even more for Ally.  I'm glad to see that Gencon is so accepting of a community.  Your experience is a good reminder that even though the world is growing more accepting, we still have a long way to go.

Posted by nascragman

I only wear two ribbons - Nascrag and Ally.  Thanks for all you do.

Posted by ruairidhlegge

[This post has been removed]

Posted by miumiu

[This post has been removed]

New Post Sign in to write a new post.