Experiences at Hilton Downtown
Posted by bushmaster

I was able to secure a room at the Hilton Downtown.  Anyone have any experiences to share concerning this hotel?

Thank you

Posted by vutpakdi

I've often stayed at the Hilton.  It's a fine business class hotel, and the location is convenient.  The rooms are clean, well maintained, and comfortable.

Breakfast is pretty good though a bit pricey.  There is a breakfast place across the street which is a bit cheaper.

The CVS across the street can get a little crowded:  I've found it worth walking up the street, turning East, and going slightly past the Sheraton to the next nearest CVS.

Posted by lore seeker

Stayed there in 2014. Not bad, though I didn't care for the lack of a fridge in the junior suite I stayed in - meant I had to bring a styrofoam cooler and fill it with ice every day, and then empty it every night.

Posted by noone

We like the Hilton.  Cheapest downtown hotel.  Close to the con but far enough away that you are away from the crowds.  Cvs across the street with first watch (people on the forums like it) 1/2 a block from Bucca de beppa and the weber grill.  A block from monument circle and Georgios pizza.  GIANT rooms

Posted by monkeyknifefight

I can't say much since it has been so long when I stayed there. I stayed there in 2003 when it was the Adam's Mark. I didn't care for the distance to the convention center. However it has a lot of suite rooms so that is handy for larger groups.

Posted by bushmaster

Thank you all (so far) for the comments. 

I am little confused by the comments on CVS.  In my area of the country, CVS is simply a drug store.  Is it more in Indianapolios?

Posted by glory

No, it's a drug store. But it's the only place around to grab snacks/aspirin/etc... It's nice to be able to pop in and not get gauged by the little hotel shops. 

Posted by bushmaster

Oh. Yea, I use to work for hotels and know how they go about pricing their "gift shop" items.

Posted by bushmaster

Anyone else have a any comments?

Posted by nikki

It is one of our top two downtown hotels.  The rooms are very big, nice and clean.  It's only a three blocks from the convention center and if you like to use skywalks, you can access one by crossing the street and going into the TJ Maxx -- it connects to the mall, which is also very close.  That's handy to have the food court so close.  They also have an amazing sandwich shop in the building right next to it called The Educated Sandwich.  You can actually call ahead and order your food so when you get down there it's ready to go which is fantastic for breakfast and their prices are excellent!  I think the location is almost perfect because it's pretty close to just about everything, especially most of the food places.

Posted by bushmaster nikki

nikki wrote:
It is one of our top two downtown hotels.  The rooms are very big, nice and clean.  It's only a three blocks from the convention center and if you like to use skywalks, you can access one by crossing the street and going into the TJ Maxx -- it connects to the mall, which is also very close.  That's handy to have the food court so close.  They also have an amazing sandwich shop in the building right next to it called The Educated Sandwich.  You can actually call ahead and order your food so when you get down there it's ready to go which is fantastic for breakfast and their prices are excellent!  I think the location is almost perfect because it's pretty close to just about everything, especially most of the food places.
Thank you! 

When you say "our" do you mean that as a citizen of the city or do you work for the hotel?

Posted by slicer11x

Stayed in the double double suite last year. The room was very spacious but suite was a bit of a misnomer as it was more like a large regular hotel room rather than a suite with two seperate living and lounging areas. Also we were told that refrigerators and microwaves were available in some suites and then when we arrived were told that they were not available in any of them. The staff was very helpfull and the facilities are much better than many of the other downtown hotels (looking at you embassy). The three block walk can be onerous at times, especially if you are footsore from a day of walking the con. All in all if you are looking for large rooms with abover average facilities and don't mind a bit of walk or lack of kitchen equipment then I would highly recommend. 

Posted by lanefan

I've stayed there for two GenCons (2011 and 2015) and found it excellent both times; good rooms and fine staff, I'd stay there every time if I could.  That said, I didn't bother with the restaurant as there's cheaper food (and better beer) to be had in all sorts of places nearby.

Be advised it's about a 3-block walk to the ICC, a consideration on a really hot (or really wet) day and-or if you're packing tons of gear.

Posted by bushmaster

Slicer11X and Lanefan,

Thank you for the comments and insight!  I look forward to staying there during this year's Gencon.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.