What time did you get?
4 5 6 8 10 11
4 5 6 8 10 11
Posted by cbudoris ace

ace wrote:
The wait time I got is a million hours. A million. Thanks Gen Con!
When are they going to set up a convienent round the clock shuttle service that runs every 10-15 minutes to make hotels outside of downtown practical? I wouldn't mind staying outside of downtown if there was an easy, fast, reliable way to get between the hotel and the con at any time.

Agree with this.  If they want to make the outlying hotels a viable option, they need a robust shutle service that does runs round the clock, picking up ppl and dropping off the whole con. Of course they couldn't offer that for free, but if the utility is there people will pay.  And you're saving $$ by not getting a downtown room, so you have a little extra to pay for shuttle service. 

Posted by selene314

JW still has king rooms, no doubles. I think Conrad, Alexander, and Sheraton were the next-closest hotels still available.

Posted by jolt

How do I have 7 months to plan?  I still have over 90 minutes to wait.  But you're obviously gifted with wisdom I don't have.  Pray tell how exactly I have 7 months to plan with GenCon's randomly assigned number?

Posted by jobeth66 sugoiben

sugoiben wrote:
dballing wrote:
fjpicone wrote:
How do people get out of block? I tried a few years ago but the hotels wouldn't even consider it?

Vulturing the hotel sites between 13-11 months before Gen Con, waiting to see if rooms become available in the automated reservation system with the hotel before the local hotel management locks out the majority of the hotel for Gen Con's use. 
Ya, but then you aren't paying the Con rate. Looked into that and some of the downtown ones wanted $450 a night. Ouch!

I'm not paying the Con rate - I'm paying $40/nt less than con rate.  I had to book for 8 days to get the rate, but that's not a dealbreaker at all.  I'm paying $189/nt for a Corner King at the Embassy, I got that rate in September.

Posted by timbery30

For a full week's stay (Tuesday-Monday), for two people there were no downtown hotels left. Closest there was was Wyndham 7 miles out.

Posted by cass.christopher jobeth66

jobeth66 wrote:
sugoiben wrote:
dballing wrote:
fjpicone wrote:
How do people get out of block? I tried a few years ago but the hotels wouldn't even consider it?

Vulturing the hotel sites between 13-11 months before Gen Con, waiting to see if rooms become available in the automated reservation system with the hotel before the local hotel management locks out the majority of the hotel for Gen Con's use. 
Ya, but then you aren't paying the Con rate. Looked into that and some of the downtown ones wanted $450 a night. Ouch!

I'm not paying the Con rate - I'm paying $40/nt less than con rate.  I had to book for 8 days to get the rate, but that's not a dealbreaker at all.  I'm paying $189/nt for a Corner King at the Embassy, I got that rate in September.
Aw man, I tried to grab one of those when they opened up in september but didnt manage it.

Posted by ploveking

In the next seven months you can call a travel agent, contact an air b-n-b provider, work with the forums to try to get an unused room, or call hotels to ask about rooms outside the block. 

Or you can try for origins, BGGcon, dice tower con, etc etc. We don't all have to go to gencon. Gencon is huge, and resources are limited. If that is a frustration that doesn't work well for you, there are other choices. Origins is my standby second choice each year.

Posted by larryanthony

I think it was about 50 minutes and they were all gone last year.

Posted by jobeth66 jolt

jolt wrote:
How do I have 7 months to plan?  I still have over 90 minutes to wait.  But you're obviously gifted with wisdom I don't have.  Pray tell how exactly I have 7 months to plan with GenCon's randomly assigned number?

Keep an eye on the Roommates/Housing Trade subsection (at the top of this section of the board).  Check a LOT.  People /will/ be looking to drop rooms, and if you're diligent, you can pick up what you need/want.

Posted by rayken

Absolutely no downtown rooms left.

Oh well, won't be going this year.

Posted by ellis1138

At 1:29pm Eastern, all the downtown stuff was gone for 2 and 3 people, and for any combo of dates I used, from 8/2 to 8/8.

Posted by jobeth66 rayken

the evil lord rayken wrote:
Absolutely no downtown rooms left.
Oh well, won't be going this year.

You can still get a downtown room if you watch the site for people looking to get rid of their rooms.  There were a bunch last year, I'm betting there will be a bunch this year as well.  I wouldn't give up now, I'd just keep an eye on the forums and on Hotels.com/Priceline until you can't get a refund on your badge.  You've got plenty of time.

Posted by greenand

Just got Omni Wed-Sun, King room. I think only one other room came up downtown. We were only looking for a King so I don't know about doubles. I'm glad we got anything. Last year we paid $2.5k to stay 4 days at the JW out of block. This year we would have been out $4k at the JW out of block. This is the first year we have EVER gotten anything in the block downtown. 
I wish everyone else the best of luck.

Posted by david greig- ma

Another 1.5 hrs to go before I see what I can get. Hopefully my backup air bnb booking comes through, otherwise is Airport for me. At least that way I'm close to one of the places I need to be.

Posted by slicer11x

I already have a room, but logging in to a different group members housing block there are still downtown rooms available. One tip is to play around with the days you are staying ie, just having doing thursday to sunday even if you are staying longer. Worse case scenario you can stay one night in suburb hotel and have a connected hotel the rest of the con. Also keep refreshing as there is a lot of dropping going on right now. 

Posted by droopymccool49

This booking system seems a bit muddled. One can search for hotels for 2 guests and downtown hotels come up, but when they are clicked on to book, it says there is nothing available. This occurs when looking for 4 guests as well, but it is much less frequent for one of the downtown hotels to come up. I suspect that downtown even for 2 guests was sold out long ago, even though they continued to pop up in the search results as available.

Posted by gfmorse

I had a time of 1:05 and my first 5 or 6 choices downtown were down to Kings only at the time.  Finally found a double at the Sheraton and am happy to be back downtown this year.  Last year I had a time of 12:05 and was caught up in the housing Snafu, so ended up at the Wyndham out by the airport.

Posted by del_grande ace

ace wrote:
When are they going to set up a convienent round the clock shuttle service that runs every 10-15 minutes to make hotels outside of downtown practical? I wouldn't mind staying outside of downtown if there was an easy, fast, reliable way to get between the hotel and the con at any time.

What do you think this would cost?  Even (a) every 30 minutes, and (b) only running from, say, 7 AM to 1 AM would be expensive, which means the tickets would be expensive (and you would also have the problem of the popular time periods having full shuttles), and you need three sets of shuttles to go to the three main hotel areas (unless you want to limit the shuttles to airport area hotels only).  It would probably reach the point where taxis would be cheaper, especially for two or more people at a time.

Here's a thought; the con should set up some "rideshare" area where they can arrange for people to offer to drive other people back to the hotels.  Okay, this isn't a perfect solution (it would require the drivers to agree to make multiple stops in the area, and cost is out of the question as the taxi and Uber drivers would complain), and there's still the problem of getting from the hotels to the con, but it's better than nothing.

Posted by timbery30

Play around with the days and keep trying. I did that and within five minutes found a room that was dumped at the JW Marriott. So we went from a 7 mile away stay to right across the road. Keep trying!

Posted by joelf847

With a 1h 30 m wait, all downtown was sold out.  I did see the Hyatt show up, but it was gone by the time I clicked it.  Seems like you needed a few minutes earlier to get the last downtown options.  Guess it's time to refund 2 badges now and write off the $20 as a loss.  2nd year in a row couldn't get a downtown hotel.  Looking at Origins now.  At this rate I might simply stop trying for Gen Con, there's better and less frustrating ways to pay for a gaming vacation.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
4 5 6 8 10 11