Health and Safety Info 2023
( Locked)
2 4 5 6
2 4 5 6
Posted by quarex

Yeah Indiana is more likely to pass a resolution requiring punching someone wearing a mask in the face than mandate wearing one

Posted by roncarver

If they require masks again this year, I am DONE with Gencon.  I have been every single year it has been in Indy, except of course 2020. :)  but that will come to an end if they require masks again.  I will never attend again.  

I am about 3/4 not wanting to attend after they required masks last year.  Fortunately most people outside of the convention center pretty much ignored it unless a game was going on, so it wasn't so bad.  I just didn't spend very much time in the CC.  

I spent FAR less money than normal last year and in 2021 because of the draconian mask policies when nowhere else in town required them.  I would like to get back to spending several grand at vendors, it is 100% up to Gencon and how political they want to continue to be with their convention.  

Posted by donaldbain roncarver

roncarver wrote:
If they require masks again this year, I am DONE with Gencon. 

Oh no!!!  Anyway...

Posted by ytuni

I work in healthcare and the hospital no longer requires masking of employees. Unless, you're having direct contact with a known infectious patient but that's the same for any patient with an illness that can be spread via respiratory droplets. Since Gen Con has dropped their requirement, I highly doubt they will reinstate it. We're all grown adults who can make our own decisions about our health.  

Posted by kevinrg

Wording wrapped around potential public health requirements is probably going to be standard wording for events/tickets for many things for the foreseeable future.    I have a concert this weekend that it pops up with 'check your local venue for requirements'

Not sure I would view this as some type of thing that Gencon would reverse course on just for the heck of it.  "Mwahahaha!  Got em!'      Once sales start I anticipate that this will be the policy barring some event.  Just like in 2021, I never expected them to change course.

Posted by cinnibar

Yep,  and if there is an 'event' and the wisdom (or vendor demand) is to have masks,  then I expect Gen Con will act.   Regardless of how many people at the street corner outside weren't wearing them we want to point out.   We're grown adults.

Posted by mikeboozer kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
Wording wrapped around potential public health requirements is probably going to be standard wording for events/tickets for many things for the foreseeable future.    I have a concert this weekend that it pops up with 'check your local venue for requirements'
Not sure I would view this as some type of thing that Gencon would reverse course on just for the heck of it.  "Mwahahaha!  Got em!'      Once sales start I anticipate that this will be the policy barring some event.  Just like in 2021, I never expected them to change course.

We will indeed not be changing course unless there is a large enough change in the conditions. It's not something anyone can predict so it makes it impossible to make any guarantees. 

Most large venues have this stipulation in place now.

Mike

Posted by watchdog mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
I wonder if there will be exceptions allowed, like Paizo requiring masks in the Sagamore?

There will not be exceptions to our policies for attendees.That said we encourage everyone to get vaccinated (If you can) and wear masks depending on your comfort level.
To be clear what they require for their own employees is completely up to them.
Mike
Mike, will EOs be permitted to use language like “masks requested” in event descriptions?

Posted by grognard262 watchdog

watchdog wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
I wonder if there will be exceptions allowed, like Paizo requiring masks in the Sagamore?

There will not be exceptions to our policies for attendees.That said we encourage everyone to get vaccinated (If you can) and wear masks depending on your comfort level.
Mike
Mike, will EOs be permitted to use language like “masks requested” in event descriptions?

That sounds like an attempt to work around the policy, replacing a requirement to wear masks with social pressure to do so.  Anyone who showed up to a "masks requested" event without one would be subjected to a certain degree of contempt by the others.

Posted by donaldbain watchdog

watchdog wrote:Mike, will EOs be permitted to use language like “masks requested” in event descriptions?
Sounds like no:

https://www.gencon.com/forums/100-general-info-2023/topics/18294-health-and-safety-info-2023?page=1#84964

Posted by watchdog

I read Mike’s earlier post. I know the masks can’t be required of attendees. I’m asking if EOs can request attendees wear them. 

Posted by watchdog grognard262

grognard262 wrote:
watchdog wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

Mike

That sounds like an attempt to work around the policy, replacing a requirement to wear masks with social pressure to do so.  Anyone who showed up to a "masks requested" event without one would be subjected to a certain degree of contempt by the others.
Mike’s post uses similar language: “That said we encourage everyone to get vaccinated (If you can) and wear masks depending on your comfort level.” Is “requested” the word you have issues with, or would you have the same issue with “Masks encouraged” in an event description? 

Posted by lanogironu

grognard262 wrote:

watchdog wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

Mike

Circumventing would be requiring or excluding them. Anyone who shows up to a "mask requested" event knowingly without a mask is probably a jerk and deserving of the contempt. As "never mask" people like to say, we're all adults and make our own decisions. 

Posted by kevinrg

I very much doubt that you will be able to make requests to do something outside any of Gencon's policies.   If their policy is mask/vax optional, you won't be able to make it required or even put in a request for it any more than you could say 'smoking/vaping is ok at the table'

Last year a table could not vote to remove masks either so, same concept, just the opposite.

Posted by matthias9 lanogironu

Anyone who shows up to a "mask requested" event knowingly without a mask is probably a jerk and deserving of the contempt. 

If that's true, aren't you de facto requiring them?

Posted by helenbb matthias9

matthias9 wrote:

Anyone who shows up to a "mask requested" event knowingly without a mask is probably a jerk and deserving of the contempt. 

If that's true, aren't you de facto requiring them?

Agreed. If masks are requested, I will politely decline. If that makes me a jerk, then I'm sure that I won't be the only one.

Posted by lanogironu matthias9

helenbb wrote:Agreed. If masks are requested, I will politely decline. If that makes me a jerk, then I'm sure that I won't be the only one.

That's not really what I was saying if I understand you correctly. I'm saying if you see an event with "masking requested" (hypothetical, I don't think that's gonna be allowed), and still sign up buying a ticket knowing full and well you won't wear a mask then you're very likely a jerk/narcissist. Politely declining to buy a ticket for that event is different and I'd have no issue with that. 
matthias9 wrote:If that's true, aren't you de facto requiring them?

Not really, but sure if you interpret it that way. I don't see why that would be a problem besides GenCon not wanting to deal with the whining. It seems like a group of people that "are all about choice" really aren't for Event Organizers having a choice on masking for their events they put together and run.

Posted by roderick

Okay, guys, we've been over this ground a lot in the past three years. Enough!

If this sort of nattering continues, I'll lock the thread. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by watchdog

Before the thread gets locked, can anyone from Gen Con please either answer my question or direct me to the person who can?

I wasn’t posting a hypothetical. I have GMs in my group who are on the fence about attending and I’m sure I’m not the only EO in this position. Event submission already started, badges go on sale Sunday, Early Bird deadline is less than three weeks away, and some of my people need to put in vacation requests at work.

I would appreciate a response from someone at Gen Con. Thank you.

Posted by mikeboozer watchdog

watchdog wrote:
Before the thread gets locked, can anyone from Gen Con please either answer my question or direct me to the person who can?
I wasn’t posting a hypothetical. I have GMs in my group who are on the fence about attending and I’m sure I’m not the only EO in this position. Event submission already started, badges go on sale Sunday, Early Bird deadline is less than three weeks away, and some of my people need to put in vacation requests at work.
I would appreciate a response from someone at Gen Con. Thank you.

Hello watchdog, we will have an answer by the end of this week.

Let's keep it civil folks.
Even if the thread needs to be locked I can still unlock it to provide the answer here so no worries there. 

Mike Boozer
Customer Service Manager
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4 5 6
2 4 5 6