Low Stimulation Room?
Posted by holliep0cket

Hey everyone. This will be my first year going to a convention of this size, and I have a tendency to get overstimulated sometimes. I can't find anywhere that mentions one and was wondering if there will be a low stimulation room/where I will be able to find it?

Posted by helenbb

[This post has been removed]

Posted by graysongoal

Thank you both, for asking and answering this question. Hopefully, the room situation is still the same.

I really hope that GenCon steps up RE accessibility and adds a full accessibility page, linked to in the footer. Then, questions around accessibility, layouts of the skywalk system and convention center, and any information possibly related to accessibility could all be in one place... instead of spread across various years' forum posts. It seems like it's very difficult to find out any accessibility information ahead of time, which can make it really hard for a lot of us to feel comfortable (or at least slightly less nervous about) attending.

Posted by narzat graysongoal

graysongoal wrote:
Thank you both, for asking and answering this question. Hopefully, the room situation is still the same.
I really hope that GenCon steps up RE accessibility and adds a full accessibility page, linked to in the footer. Then, questions around accessibility, layouts of the skywalk system and convention center, and any information possibly related to accessibility could all be in one place... instead of spread across various years' forum posts. It seems like it's very difficult to find out any accessibility information ahead of time, which can make it really hard for a lot of us to feel comfortable (or at least slightly less nervous about) attending.

Not quite everything you are looking for, but there is this from the Policy page:

ACCESSIBILITY SERVICES
This kiosk is located between the Customer Service kiosks and the Maryland Motor Lobby doors. Patrons with disabilities may use this kiosk for Will Call pickup, badge and event ticket purchases, and refunds or exchanges. Wristbands or badge stickers are available at this location to alert staff and event team members that the bearer may need additional assistance (i.e. limited waiting in line, etc.).

Accessible viewing areas for the costume parade will be located at the Crossroads-Wabash intersection and next to the Hall B Event HQ.

Additional accessibility information for patrons with disabilities can also be found on the ICC website.

Posted by narzat helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I believe that there is a Quiet Room.
Yep! I found the information for it from last year (room location and hours).
QUIET ROOM – 211Thursday – Saturday: 10 am – 6 pm Eastern
Sunday: 10 am – 3 pm Eastern 

Definitely the same room (ICC 211), but not sure re the times.  The room shows up in a search of the interactive convention map here on the site. https://www.gencon.com/map?c=25&f=2&lg=34.42822265625029&lt=-29.07537517955836&s=12154&z=5

The wonderful Denise Robinson is running the room again this year, and often posts over on the Fans of Gen Con Facebook page; if you have specific questions, she can probably help.  Search that group for "Quiet Room" and you'll also see a conversation re other ways to abate some of the crowd stress.

Posted by graysongoal narzat

narzat wrote:
graysongoal wrote:

Not quite everything you are looking for, but there is this from the Policy page:ACCESSIBILITY SERVICES
This kiosk is located between the Customer Service kiosks and the Maryland Motor Lobby doors. Patrons with disabilities may use this kiosk for Will Call pickup, badge and event ticket purchases, and refunds or exchanges. Wristbands or badge stickers are available at this location to alert staff and event team members that the bearer may need additional assistance (i.e. limited waiting in line, etc.).
Accessible viewing areas for the costume parade will be located at the Crossroads-Wabash intersection and next to the Hall B Event HQ.
Additional accessibility information for patrons with disabilities can also be found on the ICC website.

Thanks! This is something that I had found already. This information is generally helpful... but it winds up not being incredibly so, since there are so many other accessibility-related things folks will need to ask or know about ahead of time. This is my first year attending and I feel like I've had to dig deeply to get any accessibility-related information ahead of time... which is stressful, to say the least.

I have helped organize conferences and do a lot of accessibility work on top of having multiple disabilities, so I know I think about these things a lot more than the average bear. But, it is still very surprising to me that an event this big doesn't have some sort of outward-facing accessibility panel / group to reach out to about any of this - or, like I said, a specific page with a lot of this information in one place for ease. Hopefully that changes in future years!

Posted by tommchris

The walls and furniture are typically in soft, neutral tones like beige, gray, or pastel shades to create a soothing atmosphere.Incredibox Sprunki

Posted by scott324

It's great that you're planning to attend the convention! Many large conventions do offer low-stimulation or quiet rooms for attendees who may need a break from the crowds. cookie clicker
I recommend checking the convention's official website or reaching out to their customer service for specific information about available quiet spaces. Additionally, you can ask at the information desk when you arrive, as they should be able to direct you to the nearest low-stimulation area. Enjoy the convention!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.