Getting a Room
Posted by selene314 llenlleawg

llenlleawg wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
tdb wrote:What's even more lacking is some transportation service that would make outlying hotels more convenient, and thus more desirable.

Totally agree.Didn't they once have a shuttle service?

They did, but as I recall it was a bit of a mess. While that isn’t itself a reason not to consider whether such an option could be both efficient and not too costly, it is not as though it was merely abandoned for no good reason.

I believe it was too expensive to have enough shuttles (and drivers) to handle the surge times, because they had to rent that number for the whole weekend. They then tried having people sign up months in advance for what time they wanted a ride, and that didn't work out well either.

Posted by lanogironu urielblue

urielblue wrote:
Our crew is 8 folks attending (A win, as 4 of them have been "I'm gonna go SOME DAY" friends who finally can get the time off/afford the trip. 2 of them are from Seattle, and get free flights (One works for an airline) and the rest of us all work in Nightclubs/bars, so we have a pretty flexible schedule.
 The couple who are from Seattle somehow booked an Omni Severin room at the Block rate (249/night) out-of-block prior to yesterday, and 2 more of the 5 of us who actually got up to fight for a room succeeded in getting one (Hilton, and Westin). All 3 rooms are a King bed... :/
None of us mind doubling-up in a bed, as we've been doing it since we were broke teenagers/jobless 20-somethings at whatever Con, but 8 in 3 rooms, with all King beds is going to be a bit rough.
One thing that these hotels could do is switch the Kings out for 2 Queen/Double beds, which would fit 4 folks reasonably. I'm hopeful that we can get 1 more room as things get released, and if not, a couple folks are fine with sleeping on the floor (They pay less, obviously). One guy even brings his sleeping bag every year, as he backpacks a lot, and likes sleeping on the ground...We joke that he has a couple of Ranger Levels.

If you have 8 committed people I'd suggest scouring vrbo and airbnb for places within a scooter or short uber ride. Last I checked there were some in the $500-$600 range available still and at that point it's pretty much a break even or better getting a bnb house with the upside of better bathrooms and a kitchen. I've done the 3 main options so far (downtown connected, airport, close-ish bnb) and the last bnb was about a 10 minute scooter ride to the center and worked amazingly for a group of 7. 

Posted by squirecam selene314

selene314 wrote:
llenlleawg wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
tdb wrote:What's even more lacking is some transportation service that would make outlying hotels more convenient, and thus more desirable.

Totally agree.Didn't they once have a shuttle service?

They did, but as I recall it was a bit of a mess. While that isn’t itself a reason not to consider whether such an option could be both efficient and not too costly, it is not as though it was merely abandoned for no good reason.

I believe it was too expensive to have enough shuttles (and drivers) to handle the surge times, because they had to rent that number for the whole weekend. They then tried having people sign up months in advance for what time they wanted a ride, and that didn't work out well either.
in some cases this was the drivers fault. There were times you signed up for at the hotel but the drivers didnt care to check names and let people just go on. The later hotels on the route drive then had less space available for them.

The drive back to the hotel had no times and was thus FCFS. And last shuttle was 11 pm. Bad all around. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.