Local update on downtown Hotels
Posted by hahnarama

Crowne Plaza: Construction has started on the new hotel and convention center expansion. That means there is a giant gaping 3 story deep hole just to the north of the main entrance. Louisiana street, aka the main entrance, is currently open but I know its going to close sometime this summer once they start pouring the new footings.

Capitol, street to the west aka the food truck street, is intermittently down to 1 or 2 lanes. 

Illinois , street to the west is even worse. Only 1 lane open. 

Georgia is still "kind of open" but I think once St John's Church is done building over their parking lot the are going to close Georgia for the next 3 years.

Hotel Indy: Great little boutique hotel but they have a lot of problems on the weekends due to their proximity to the Julia Carson Transit Center which is across the street. On more than 1 occasion someone gets stabbed and instead of calling 911 they walk into the lobby thinking that its an ER 

Posted by colbrook

Hotel Indy also massively overbooked last year leaving a lot of people without rooms, hopefully they've learned from last time. 

Posted by jimdigris

If they didn't lose money for overbooking, there is no lesson to learn.  Their reputation may have taken a hit, but their rooms are still in demand for Gencon.  Therefore, no loss of money.

Posted by donaldbain hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:Georgia is still "kind of open" but I think once St John's Church is done building over their parking lot the are going to close Georgia for the next 3 years.

There's a couple or three hotels on the other side of Georgia (Hyatt place, Homewood and ...), I wonder if there will be a way to use Georgia or if you'd have to go up a block, then over to the ConCtr. 

Posted by hahnarama

Eventually you will have to go north to Maryland to get to the ICC. There is currently a concert stage on Georgia for this weekend's All Star game but I think after that is when they are going to close it so they can start to tear up the collapsing Pan Am Plaza. 

Posted by lilycollins

[This post has been removed]

Posted by hahnarama lilycollins

lilycollins wrote:
It would be helpful to mention the city and state where these locations are located for broader awareness. bitlife
You're joking right?

Posted by urielblue hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
lilycollins wrote:
It would be helpful to mention the city and state where these locations are located for broader awareness. bitlife
You're joking right?
Yeah...I'm waiting for them to look closer at the post. You'd think that "Hotel Indy" would give a clue...?

Posted by hahnarama

I kind of thought Gen Con being in INDIANAPOLIS would give it away. 

Posted by aldctjoc

Might be spam bot testing the forum? I say that because the last few spammers have appeared to "answer" - or ask - questions in this exact same manner: Seemingly paying attention to the thread, but is actually oblivious to what's being discussed. 

I could be wrong, but honestly, I've wondered about some of the new "replies" that have been hitting the forum prior to the start of this year's activity. 

Posted by del_grande aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
Might be spam bot testing the forum? I say that because the last few spammers have appeared to "answer" - or ask - questions in this exact same manner: Seemingly paying attention to the thread, but is actually oblivious to what's being discussed. 
I could be wrong, but honestly, I've wondered about some of the new "replies" that have been hitting the forum prior to the start of this year's activity. 

Or, it's someone who sees references to "Georgia," "Maryland," and "Illinois" without realizing that they refer to street names in downtown Indianapolis

Posted by aldctjoc del_grande

del_grande wrote:Or, it's someone who sees references to "Georgia," "Maryland," and "Illinois" without realizing that they refer to street names in downtown Indianapolis

I did consider this. But that poster is in a forum for a convention that's only ever held in Indianapolis *and* has not returned yet to get clarification or discuss this further. That's what makes me wonder if it's not spam bot behavior. That post is similar to other removed posts from before January, when the forum was sort of hibernating prior to the 2024 VIG renewal and badge purchase activity. 

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it's been similar enough to catch my attention. 

Posted by brooks

Yeah it's AI spam... just the wording "... locations are located for broader awareness." No one talks like that... at least most people don't talk like that.

Plus a lot of the spambots use the FirstNameLastName thing in their forum nicknames. 

What's really amused me is the couple of times that spambots started replying to each other in threads. 

I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, but it's highly suspicious to say the least. 

Posted by narzat

Yeah, that account has made multiple dubious posts in the last couple of days.  I already reported it as a potential bot in the tech issues forum.

Posted by quarex

And it had a link to a Spam page.  Or am I the only one who sees the "Bitlife" link somehow 

Posted by pezkat hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:Capitol, street to the west aka the food truck street, is intermittently down to 1 or 2 lanes. 
Were there still food trucks there last year?  I thought they were all moved to South Street by Lucas Oil Stadium.

Posted by hahnarama

Yes all the trucks were moved to that limited space MILES away from the ICC. I know it's only temporary. Personally I could care less I think I have only been hungry enough twice in the past decades to buy something.... no losing access to easy beer... that one hurts. 

Posted by lisawindy907

[This post has been removed]

New Post Sign in to write a new post.