Hotel lottery?
Posted by squirecam

Already got a downtown room through Hilton Honors. 

So of course....time is 12:45

Posted by ungmar9567 wells

wells wrote:
It looks like over half are before 2, so 2:19 is dead in the water for a connected room.
I got 2:24. I think there might still be downtown rooms available then, but probably not connected.

Now I just have to hope one of my friends got a better time slot.

Posted by foodiddiedoo

I got 12:12. Based on the Facebook poll seems like they are ending at 4pm probably because of the Superb Owl. 

Posted by wells

They did this last year, compress the times. Last year it meant that connected hotels were gone just around 1 PM. Bad news for me, I am old. If I don't get a connected hotel I don't go. Without the ability to go back to the room, dump stuff I bought and just take a break it isn't much of a vacation.

Posted by burrfoot72 austicke

Well with 600 or so responses at this time all all being 3:59 or earlier my 2:33 isn't looking too hot.  Another year of spamming the housing block.  On the upside ever since the lottery started I have never gotten a downtown room on opening day but always have one by the time Gen Con rolls around.  Chin up!

Posted by mikeboozer quarex

quarex wrote:
What confuses me is why any dates are not available, really, especially when it seems a mere formality for them to be added.  I tried to get Monday-Monday, and it would only let me do Tuesday-Monday, and then I requested to be on the "waitlist" for the first Monday, and like the next day I got the message my request was granted.  Was that really a waitlist? 

It was indeed. Yours was just fast, others are not informed so quickly.

Mike

Posted by jimdigris

Did they get a bigger pool of rooms this year?  I'm worried that they'll run out of rooms again this year.

Posted by cinnibar

We can only hope our attendance last year gave staff the leverage to demand a larger block again

Posted by quarex mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
quarex wrote:
What confuses me is why any dates are not available, really, especially when it seems a mere formality for them to be added.  I tried to get Monday-Monday, and it would only let me do Tuesday-Monday, and then I requested to be on the "waitlist" for the first Monday, and like the next day I got the message my request was granted.  Was that really a waitlist? 

It was indeed. Yours was just fast, others are not informed so quickly.Mike
Oh I was not expecting a response, thanks!  Cool, I am glad to know it is not just a misnomer.  Probably requires more waiting for when people request things in the regular block.

Posted by mikeboozer cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
We can only hope our attendance last year gave staff the leverage to demand a larger block again

We do the best that we can with the finite amount of rooms that are available.

Remember it is important to keep checking back if you cannot find the desired property.

People decide not to go or release rooms all the time.

Gen Con releases rooms as well once their staffing needs are met.

Mike

Posted by lore seeker mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
cinnibar wrote:

We do the best that we can with the finite amount of rooms that are available.Remember it is important to keep checking back if you cannot find the desired property.
People decide not to go or release rooms all the time.
Gen Con releases rooms as well once their staffing needs are met.
Mike

It wasn't just that "desired" rooms were gone though. From what I remember, ALL the rooms were gone after a few hours, downtown or otherwise. Really hoping that doesn't repeat this year.

Posted by foodiddiedoo

There's a queue after your housing portal time opens up this year??? I've never experienced that before.  So I have to sit for another 20 minutes past my 12:12 start time.  Weird.

Posted by castigere

Does the queue page immediately redirect you once you’re at zero?  I’ve worked with queue pages in the past that get all confused and you wind up having to re-enter

Posted by murban castigere

bwd72 wrote:
Does the queue page immediately redirect you once you’re at zero?  I’ve worked with queue pages in the past that get all confused and you wind up having to re-enter
No, you have to click on the "Request Room" button.

Posted by armored badger

So, a 12:14 start time, followed by a wait that is a constantly shifting time. This wasn't that way in the past. Why on earth did Gen Con decide to change what was working before?

Posted by llenlleawg castigere

bwd72 wrote:
When your time is at zero, the grey button will turn red (I think...anyway, it will become a color and clickable). When you click on it, you are directed to the housing portal. However, the portal only handles a certain number of people at once, so when you get there, you might have to wait. (Just don't leave!)

Posted by cman811

Why is it changed from the way its been in the past?  As it is right now this is literally a line....to enter a line.  It's absolutely ridiculous. 

Posted by llenlleawg

So, I guess I should get my knitting ready...

Posted by cman811

12:37 Lottery time only to get a "more than an hour" second queue time.  Frankly, what is the point of even doing the lottery this way from what it has been in the past? 

Posted by kevinrg

If there was a change back, I really wish Gencon would have been upfront so we could have been prepared rather than surprised that you get a time and then have to wait some variable extra time.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3 5