First time with my son
Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

I have attended multiple Gen Cons over the last 15 years, but next year I plan to bring my son for the first time. He will be just a few days shy of 11 years old at the time. I am already planning for 2018 and the first question that come to me is how do I buy his badge. Do I have to create a separate account in his name to purchase his badge, or do I somehow do it from my own account? Same thing for event tickets? Thanks for any help you can provide and I'm sure I'll be back many times over the next 6 months with more questions. Thanks again!

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg

I would create an account. Then when he gets older and wants to keep going, he'll have an account set already.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Plus, you'd get two shots at the housing lottery

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42

Can a 10 year old have his own account and housing code?

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg nascragman

nascragman wrote:
Plus, you'd get two shots at the housing lottery
I'm not sure about the housing if he's buying the badge through his account. And his son's age I think would block him from buying.

Normal
Small
Posted by kaledor

Congrats on take your son at the age of 11! My mom took me to my first GENCON at the ripe age of 10 in 1976.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer galvatron42

galvatron42 wrote:
I have attended multiple Gen Cons over the last 15 years, but next year I plan to bring my son for the first time. He will be just a few days shy of 11 years old at the time. I am already planning for 2018 and the first question that come to me is how do I buy his badge. Do I have to create a separate account in his name to purchase his badge, or do I somehow do it from my own account? Same thing for event tickets? Thanks for any help you can provide and I'm sure I'll be back many times over the next 6 months with more questions. Thanks again!

Hello!

Please go here to get the ins and outs of account creation:

https://www.gencon.com/attend/your_account

You can either create a dummy account for your son that you are linked to using the "Someone Else and "Don't Know" feature when buying a badge or you can create a separate account for him and  link to it via your own account (Recommended).

You can either buy a badge on that account (If you want the housing access on his account) or buy it on your own account.

Mike Boozer 
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by galvatron42 kaledor

kaledor wrote:
Congrats on take your son at the age of 11! My mom took me to my first GENCON at the ripe age of 10 in 1976.

Thanks! He is very excited. Can' wait for him to see it for the first time!

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

I am taking my son for the first time this year as well. He is a little older at 16.

Normal
Small
Posted by cbindner

This will be my son and I's first Gen Con as well.  I wasnt sure which day would be best for first timers, so I opted for Friday. Hopefully a wise choice

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

Since your son will still be 10 you should be able to get him a wristband instead of having to purchase him a badge, unless he intends to sign up for any events of course.

Normal
Small
Posted by ubermx galvatron42

galvatron42 wrote:
Good for you, bringing your son.
I have all my kids set up as "child" accounts since they don't have their own emails and I purchase all the event tickets from my account.   
The trick with event tickets is that if you and he were to want to each do a separate activity at the same time, you might not be able to buy both tickets as the system might detect a time conflict. 

To provide some unsolicited advice:

• have extra snacks and water in a bag or backpack, makes it easier when the kids are in tow
  •  you don't need every accessory to every game each time you go to the convention center, too much stuff means you (Mom/Dad) typically have to carry it

I'll stop there, I could go on for hours.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

I took my son last year for the first time. He was 2 months old. hehe

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

0 kids: easiest
0-2 years: easy (throw em in a stroller and carry harness)
2-4 years: moderate (you can still leash them)
5-10 years: elite difficulty. Use multiple adults and prepare for a lot of hotel time.
11-17 years: easy (here is your badge, have fun)
18+ years: get your own badge and good luck in the housing lottery :)

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager roundtop

roundtop wrote:
0 kids: easiest
0-2 years: easy (throw em in a stroller and carry harness)
2-4 years: moderate (you can still leash them)
5-10 years: elite difficulty. Use multiple adults and prepare for a lot of hotel time.
11-17 years: easy (here is your badge, have fun)
18+ years: get your own badge and good luck in the housing lottery :)

I'm actually a little scared of next year. He will be 14 months old, most likely walking, and he already grabs at everything. Should be interesting.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

yeah, I'd love to bring my 6 year old, but he needs to run and climb

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I brought my (then) 11 year old daughter a few years ago.  She was not a gamer at all but I viewed this as good dad/daughter time.  Seriously, it was one of the best times I've ever had.  We stuck to mostly board games, which she really liked.  She also played thru both True Dungeon (combat) adventures that year and literally never missed her attack slides.  She wore her Halloween costume (a unicorn) walking around the dealer hall and the Con and was excited to have her picture taken so many times.  I can't say enough what an absolute great time it was bringing my daughter.  For anyone on the fence (about bringing your kids) I would absolutely do it!

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
I brought my (then) 11 year old daughter a few years ago.  She was not a gamer at all but I viewed this as good dad/daughter time.  Seriously, it was one of the best times I've ever had.  We stuck to mostly board games, which she really liked.  She also played thru both True Dungeon (combat) adventures that year and literally never missed her attack slides.  She wore her Halloween costume (a unicorn) walking around the dealer hall and the Con and was excited to have her picture taken so many times.  I can't say enough what an absolute great time it was bringing my daughter.  For anyone on the fence (about bringing your kids) I would absolutely do it!
That's awesome that you had such an amazing time with your Daughter!

Normal
Small
Posted by ubermx nascragman

nascragman wrote:
yeah, I'd love to bring my 6 year old, but he needs to run and climb
What about the kids area for him?  They have lots to do and it will help tire him out to have him play there for a bit.

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

I brought my son for the first time at age 12 and he hasn't missed one yet.  Next year he will turn 21 at GenCon!

Sign in to write a new post. New Post