Tuesday night gaming?
1 2 4 6 7
1 2 4 6 7
Posted by thewildferret dranthor

dranthor wrote:
well I've got two Rpg games I'm willing to run tuesday for sure and possibly wednesday. One is Star Wars d20 modified. and one is HARP fantasy.  figure 4-8 people each.  If people are interested in more of either of these I can try to run something else just will not be as ready as these two will be.  I'm in the westin. Did anyone get a gaming room for us to meet in? If not I'll contact westin and see if I can get one for tuesday afternoon/night.  I'll aslo let you know before the week of gencon about what time I will be available on Tuesday and where we can meet.  Look forward to playing with everyone..

Nice never played HARP before... sounds interesting. Myself and my +1 are interested in both :)

Posted by dynel thewildferret

thewildferret wrote:
dranthor wrote:
well I've got two Rpg games I'm willing to run tuesday for sure and possibly wednesday. One is Star Wars d20 modified. and one is HARP fantasy.  figure 4-8 people each.  If people are interested in more of either of these I can try to run something else just will not be as ready as these two will be.  I'm in the westin. Did anyone get a gaming room for us to meet in? If not I'll contact westin and see if I can get one for tuesday afternoon/night.  I'll aslo let you know before the week of gencon about what time I will be available on Tuesday and where we can meet.  Look forward to playing with everyone..

Nice never played HARP before... sounds interesting. Myself and my +1 are interested in both :)

This probably isn't the place, and I apologize for that, but how is HARP, dranthor (or anyone else)?  I'm considering picking it up, and I'm mildly familiar with RM Classic, but have no knowledge of HARP.

Posted by dranthor

to be honest I have had it for a few years but wasn't sure I wanted to go into it. I was very supprised at how good of a system it is. I didn't think I would like the spells with the changes and it being individual spells rather than lists. but I really lk=ike it a lot and they have great support for it via computer. AutoHarp is a program that allows you to make up characters very easily and they have a combat system that is wonderful.   I'm a 20+ year RM player and have played the original Rolemaster forward. So far everything I've seen about HARP Fantasy and HARP SCI FI is good.

Posted by thewildferret

I jokingly used to call Rolemaster... Rollmaster... which I'm sure isn't new but when I saw all the charts and tables to roll on I was just like... phew. Then one day playing MERP I rolled a crit that also allowed me to roll on another crit chart, effectively allowing my Dwarf to punch through a shield and thus rending it useless and then continuing the punch to break the uruk's neck. Since then I've never said Rollmaster again ;)

Posted by funny-shaped dice thewildferret

thewildferret wrote:
I jokingly used to call Rolemaster... Rollmaster... which I'm sure isn't new but when I saw all the charts and tables to roll on I was just like... phew. Then one day playing MERP I rolled a crit that also allowed me to roll on another crit chart, effectively allowing my Dwarf to punch through a shield and thus rending it useless and then continuing the punch to break the uruk's neck. Since then I've never said Rollmaster again ;)

That's cool...it certainly works the other way as well.  :)

*My* experience with MERP was that I crit-failed about 45 minutes into a game and died - my recollection is that my character tripped while sneaking and broke his *own* neck.

So we replayed it - that certainly couldn't have been right after all.

I don't remember what the reason was...but I died again from a bad roll within 30-45 minutes.  Yep.  That was enough RM/MERP for me...never touched the system again for probably 30 years - there were just too many other systems to try that I *didn't* randomly die in.  :)

Always meant to revisit RM - and I'm a *huge* Tolkien fan (I've read and enjoyed the 12-volume "History of Middle-Earth" written by Christopher Tolkien, various biographies, etc) - but just never could get back to it until I was at Gameholecon last fall.  Had a great time but doubt I'll seek it out on a regular basis.

So...anyway..."Rollmaster" is not an undeserved pejorative.

But that's why Cons are *great* - an opportunity to try out lots of different games and systems without a ton of effort.

Definitely give RM/HARP and others a try.  You might find your next favorite game at Gen Con.  

Posted by thewildferret

Ouch that's some bad luck there.

Yeah this GenCon I'm doing all the games I haven't played before except the PFS 2.0 game which is technically haven't played before but it's Pathfinder so kind of the same no matter what. Looking forward to hitting the open gaming area too to see what's being played in there.

Posted by dranthor

I have to say there are a lot of charts in rolemaster but not as many in HARP.  Even with Rolemaster typically a lot of the charts aren't used. For example I haven't seen many people use the Mullet attack table. ... I think in some cases it was just having fun making tables.  Most people have a weapon table x2 a spell table x2 and then the Gm will use a maneuver table. other than that in rolemaster the rest of the tables tpically aren't used.  As for Harp there is a lot less tables. And they have a combat tracker program that helps so it isn't neessary to look up tables at all.

Can't wait to play/ GM for you.  I should be at the Westin by 1pm  tuesday so am willing to start after that. Let me know what time you are all planning to be ready to play.

Posted by pshep999 dranthor

dranthor wrote:
I have to say there are a lot of charts in rolemaster but not as many in HARP.  Even with Rolemaster typically a lot of the charts aren't used. For example I haven't seen many people use the Mullet attack table. ... I think in some cases it was just having fun making tables.  Most people have a weapon table x2 a spell table x2 and then the Gm will use a maneuver table. other than that in rolemaster the rest of the tables tpically aren't used.  As for Harp there is a lot less tables. And they have a combat tracker program that helps so it isn't neessary to look up tables at all.
Can't wait to play/ GM for you.  I should be at the Westin by 1pm  tuesday so am willing to start after that. Let me know what time you are all planning to be ready to play.
1 pm works for me. Thanks again for the willingness to run.

Posted by mikeptas thewildferret

thewildferret wrote:
Loved the crit tables.  Used to play RM mainly.  25 yrs ago.  I still remember the crit where the arrow went in one ear and out the other. Good time....

Posted by dranthor

Im thinking start around 2 just incase I am running late.  I'll post where as soon as the hotel gets back with me as to where we can meet.

Posted by dranthor

Latest information. I'm at the marriott downtown not the westin. sorry about the confusion.  I also just checked and we can't get a room because gen con has all of them reserved and they would be being set up for the convention according to the sales area.  I was told they would let me know if any become available.  In general the room would cost about $500.00 and I don't want to spend that kind of money. So does anyone have any ideas?

I'd say lets meet at the marriott and then decide from there what to do. 

Posted by pshep999 dranthor

dranthor wrote:
Latest information. I'm at the marriott downtown not the westin. sorry about the confusion.  I also just checked and we can't get a room because gen con has all of them reserved and they would be being set up for the convention according to the sales area.  I was told they would let me know if any become available.  In general the room would cost about $500.00 and I don't want to spend that kind of money. So does anyone have any ideas?
I'd say lets meet at the marriott and then decide from there what to do. 
I’m staying at Candlewood Suites by the airport. It’s about ten min from downtown. I can call later tonight and see if they have a room or area we can use. That is if ppl don’t mind giving out there. We could always meet at Marriot and carpool as well. Just throwing it out there. 

Posted by dranthor

Another choice is we can meet at Mariott and if no other place is available  we could use my room.  I'd be willing to go to the candlewood suites but y car will be unavailable.

Posted by pshep999

Candlewood was not very accommodating lol. They have no conference rooms and no tables or chairs in lobby. So here is another possibility. I have a 8ft fold down table with plenty of chair I could throw in my van and bring. So if we found a space (hotel lobby, someone’s room, etc.) I could just set that up.

Posted by eingellis

Could we also go to a LGS and use their tables?  And patronize them, of course.

Posted by pshep999

LGS?

Posted by squirecam pshep999

local game store

There is a comic store downtown by the hiltons. Dont know if they have or allow gaming though.

Posted by bluemax

I'll be posting next week about the ReFried gamers Tuesday night dinner and gaming at the RAM

Posted by pshep999

Ok, so we have a few options now. dranthor is kind enough to offer his GM services so we could let them decide. As far as LGS, there was a mention of a place called Family Time Games that someone motioned months ago in a post. They seem to have space but not sure of availability. I could call tomorrow and update the post. We have the option of myself bringing tables and chairs and setting up in a hotel room or hotel lobby somewhere. My room at Candlewood Suites Airport is a small suite and looks decant for space, maybe enough to set a table up in the room. Have not seen my lobby or lounge area though. Not sure how much room other's hotel rooms have or if the Marriot would let us set a table up somewhere in a lobby or lounge area. They might be a little more picky but that's just a guess. I am able to pick up/drive up to a few ppl to wherever we decide if they do not have vehicles available. It will be blast at any venue I have no doubt. 

Posted by pshep999 rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
I'm staying at the downtown Marriott.  I'll post more when I know the exact details.  I'm working on renting a small conference room at one of the downtown hotels for the day so we'll have space and others can game as well.  Nothing solid now, but I should have final details in a month or so.
Are you still planning on arriving Monday and playing Gloomhaven that day still?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6 7
1 2 4 6 7