Map for locations of events?
Posted by brittflok

I have reviewed the new attendee FAQ and searched these forums and the website...but I cannot seem to find a map showing how the different locations of events are connected. 

Is there a map of the locations of events for Gen Con? (I can find the exhibitor hall map in 20 different places on here, so searching "map" did not really help with the location part.)
For example, I have no idea if the "Westin Ballroom 2" is ANYWHERE NEAR the "stadium"...etc.

Do I just need to use Google maps to figure out where everything is?  I can't really pick events based on times if I have no idea how far it is between event locations.

Any suggestions?
-Brittany, first time attendee

Posted by aaronmlopez

I recommend getting the Unofficial Gen Con App. It will have maps of the vendor hall, and all of the hotel maps as well. 

The iOS version is available here

The Android version is available here

The person who develops it does a really good job interfacing with the official event list, so you can add the events to your phone calendar as well. The app will include maps, food truck schedule, the event list, and more!

Posted by blackcatmoebius

There’s an interactive map of the whole convention center and the surrounding area.  It shows up as a link on the mobile homepage... but not on the full homepage.

https://www.gencon.com/map

Posted by helenbb

Just for reference, the Westin is just north of the convention center. Lucas Oil is just south. So they are on opposite ends of the convention center.

Posted by brittflok aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
I recommend getting the Unofficial Gen Con App. It will have maps of the vendor hall, and all of the hotel maps as well. 
The person who develops it does a really good job interfacing with the official event list, so you can add the events to your phone calendar as well. The app will include maps, food truck schedule, the event list, and more!
Thank you!

Posted by brittflok blackcatmoebius

blackcatmoebius wrote:
There’s an interactive map of the whole convention center and the surrounding area.  It shows up as a link on the mobile homepage... but not on the full homepage.
No wonder I missed it! Thanks!

Posted by selene314 blackcatmoebius

blackcatmoebius wrote:

After most events have been assigned locations, this map will update to show the locations of individual tables.

You can already zoom in on the exhibitor hall. The rest will be filled in with as much detail as possible. Some groups have a permanent location that will be labeled e.g. "Kosmos HQ"; one-shot events will be assigned to colored/numbered tables e.g. "red 15".

Also important to note: up is south.
By habit Gen Con maps are oriented based on the front entrance to the convention center, despite the Con having long since overflowed the ICC.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

This is some general info about where the events are located.  This is from experience from the last few years, but things do move.

The exhibit hall is located in halls F to K of the ICC, which are at the top (south) of the ICC map.  Halls A to E contain a large number of events, and the HQs for many of the large gaming companies.  The HQs are where they run their ticketed events, as opposed to free demos & games in the exhibit hall.  Pathfinder & Starfinder events run by Paizo are in the the Sagamore ballroom on the 2nd floor of the ICC.  Many of the smaller rooms on the 1st & 2nd floor of the ICC contain RPG events, and there are some smaller companies and organizations that have a room.  Some of these rooms have lectures, seminars, and I think the auction is there as well.

LOS (Lucas Oil Stadium) is about a 5-10 minute walk south from the ICC (all enclosed).  True Dungeon is held there, underneath the stands, and there are a number of varied events and some HQs on the playing field. 

Events are also held in several of the surrounding hotels.  The Hyatt, Westin, Marriot, JW Marriot, Embassy Suites, Omni, Crowne Plaza, and possibly others all have things going on.  Most of these hotels are north & east of the ICC, and are connected by walkways.

I think most of the escape room events are at a local escape room business, a few blocks from the ICC.

Right now, most of the events don't have locations, so it's hard to tell where stuff is.  The best bet is not to schedule back-to-back events unless they are very close, such as two events run by CMON, which would both be at their HQ in Hall A.  Note that even though you might be in two CMON games (like Zombicide and Narcos), they may not be run by CMON, but by 3rd parties, and could be anywhere.  Check the Gaming Group/Company on the event.

If you're doing TD, give yourself at least an hour before (longer if you want to buy/trade tokens), and 30 minutes after the event.  Also, since it's 2 hours on your feet, you might want to plan to relax for a while after it.

Even if events are next to each other, you need to consider bio breaks, snacking, and getting drinks, and some events can run long. 

To the OP, as this is your first Gen Con, don't overbook yourself.  Unless you have two "must-have" events that you can't get any alternate times for, give yourself at least 30 minutes or more between events.

Posted by hendelbolaf

Also note that not all of the events have been assigned a location yet. The larger groups have, like Paizo in the Sagamore Ballroom as usual, etc. So they will see how events begin to fill and get added and will make a determination over the next few months.

I hope to have a location assignment soon, especially since I had my events up during early event registration. However, I know that does not affect the determination of location.

Posted by rong

You can also find the Convention Map on the web browser by floating over "Experience" at the top of the page and selecting "Convention Map".

Posted by nascragman

When will events be assigned locations?

Posted by buffythecatslayer

You figure they'll have to assign all active events locations before June 16, when they start printing the event tickets.  Events that go active after then might take time to get their locations assigned.  I remember one year that my late events went active, but took another several weeks to get their locations.

Posted by fateoptional blackcatmoebius

blackcatmoebius wrote:
There’s an interactive map of the whole convention center and the surrounding area. It shows up as a link on the mobile homepage... but not on the full homepage.
But, boy, that's a crappily designed map/interface. So hard to use as location markers appear/disappear at various levels of magnification.

Posted by kiyote aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:

I don't suppose you know when the maps get added to the app?  Hard to show it to my friends saying "download this!" when the maps are "Convention Center Map Here".   :D

Posted by aaronmlopez kiyote

kiyote wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:

I don't suppose you know when the maps get added to the app?  Hard to show it to my friends saying "download this!" when the maps are "Convention Center Map Here".   :D

I am not affiliated with the creator in any way. I can tell you from experience that he usually has the maps uploaded in plenty of time. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.