Looking for GMs for Gen Con 2017
Posted by gothvader

Geeks Out After Dark is looking for GMs to run events at Gen Con 50. We are a group of GMs with over 20 years experience running games at Gen Con, Origins, and local conventions.

By hooking up with us you get - logistical support, pre-written events (if you need them, what you run is up to you), someone who knows the events system, training, and most importantly.... a free badge if you run enough events. We prefer GMs local to Indianapolis but would be happy to hear from folks out of town. I would really like to get two or three more GMs for our group.

We have plans to put on a good show next year. Remember, you can run RPGs, board games, LARPs, card games--pretty much anything you desire. Our pre-written events have well developed pre-gens and have been play tested multiple times to ensure they work well in a four hour time slot.

No convention experience is necessary, but you must have experience with the games you wish to run.

Email me at lostgoth at gmail.com and we can start working on the details. I'm happy to answer any questions here.

This is a list of games that were in high demand for 2016. The list will probably be pretty much the same for next year (Especially Cthulhu, always looking for Cthulhu).

• Call of Cthulhu, 6th or 7th editions 
  • Star Wars RPG, Fantasy Flight editions 
  • Dungeons & Dragons, 1st, 3.5, & 5th editions - possibly tied to specific companies or campaigns. 
  • Savage Worlds 
  • Shadowrun 
  • Numenera 
  • Trail of Cthulhu 
  • King of Tokyo 
  • Star Wars: Imperial Assault 
  • Paranoia 
  • Fate 
  • XCOM: The Board Game 
  • Hero System 
  • The One Ring 
  • Eclipse Phase 
  • Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Dark Heresy 
  • Dread 
  • X-Wing Miniatures 
  • Deadlands 
  • Descent: Journeys in the Dark 
  • 13th Age 
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics 
  • Dungeon World 
  • The Dresden Files 
  • Night's Black Agents 
  • The Strange 
  • The Undercity 
  • Sheriff of Nottingham 
  • Catan 
  • Outbreak: Undead 
  • Eldritch Horror 
  • Firefly, both board game & RPG 
  • Betrayal at House on the Hill 
  • Luchador: Way of the Mask 
  • Baker Street 
  • Atomic Robo 
  • Delta Green 
  • Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space 
  • Five Tribes 
  • Mutants & Masterminds 
  • Space Hulk 
  • Arkham Horror 
  • Lords of Waterdeep 

Posted by spore 29

My name is eric and live in zephyrills fl and i will

Posted by coryanderson1

I've sent an email, but I'll just double up and post here.

Im not from the area either, but want to run a d&d 5th and a fantasy flight star wars

Posted by garhkal

I notice for AD&D you have every edition except 2e represented...

Posted by aaronmlopez

I live in SC but may be interested in running games. I can do D&D 5e, Firefly RPG, Fate... 

Posted by cjudd

I would like to run a game at GenCon.  My idea is a Harry Potter Universe LARP.  I have assisted in the running and creation of a Dark Ages Vampire LARP so I understand the work needed to organize such an event.  I am new to running something at GenCon.

Premise: Each wizard receives a letter of blackmail and an invitation to a castle for a meeting. 20 players, Major goal and two minor goals to accomplish in a 6hr time. Cost of event $20.  Costumes preferred but not required.  Customization available to those that sign up early.  Pre-Generated characters available if the event doesn't sell out. 

Any advice?  What are locations for events like?  Do they let us prep the site with props?

I'm from Springfield IL. so I'm not too far away.

Posted by roderick cjudd

cjudd wrote:
I would like to run a game at GenCon.  My idea is a Harry Potter Universe LARP.  I have assisted in the running and creation of a Dark Ages Vampire LARP so I understand the work needed to organize such an event.  I am new to running something at GenCon.
Premise: Each wizard receives a letter of blackmail and an invitation to a castle for a meeting. 20 players, Major goal and two minor goals to accomplish in a 6hr time. Cost of event $20.  Costumes preferred but not required.  Customization available to those that sign up early.  Pre-Generated characters available if the event doesn't sell out. 
Any advice?  What are locations for events like?  Do they let us prep the site with props?
I'm from Springfield IL. so I'm not too far away.
 A LARP of that size would probably go in one of the conference rooms at the Union Station. While the room itself is a bog-standard conference room, the corridor outside is pretty nice - the old train station (sorry, doesn't look a thing like King's Cross train station, though). You can set up the room with props, but be sure to mention that you need extra set-up time on your game submission (be realistic for set up and tear down times). We typically allow games to spill out of their room, as long as everyone plays nice. You might want to ask for one of the track kiosks as well (Derek will know what you mean).

Most LARPs take place in the Union Station, so the LARPers all know where it is. Casual players might have to look at a map to find it - it's about two blocks away from the convention center (one block over, one block down).

Posted by derekguder

This isn't really applicable to this thread, unless you are specifically requesting to run the event as part of Geeks Out After Dark's schedule.

If you are looking for general advice for your own event, you should start a new thread.

Posted by kidlidar

I sent you an email.

Posted by kidlidar

Goth Vader, I sent you an email, if you could respond one way or another, I'm working on my schedule

Posted by sabel

@ aaronmlopez If you plan to run Firefly RPG I would love to know about it, I have some questions over the system and would like to try the game [since I own all the books LOL]

Posted by gothvader

I know it's been a long time since I have checked in on this post. I wanted to make sure what our group was doing for this year so we didn't make any promises we couldn't deliver on.

Geeks Out After Dark is open to have new GMs. Please keep in mind the following.

What We Can Do For You:

Submit events into the GenCon system.

If you run 70 or more player hours, we will have a badge for you ready and waiting. (1 hour x 1 player = a player hour. The typical tabletop RPG runs for 4 hours with 6 players = 24 player hours).

Find you extra GMs for large events.

Provide pre-written events for the following tabletop RPGs - All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Blood & Thunder (our own game), Call of Cthulhu, World of Darkness (core), Mage: The Awakening, D&D 3E.

Provide copies of the following board games to run - Eldritch Horror, Catan, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Firefly, King of Tokyo, Redneck Life, Trailer Park Wars, Clue: Supernatural Edition, Super Fight.

Give advice on how to design events and run events.

Provide logistics and some ground transportation since many of our GMs live in Indianapolis.

Things We Cannot Do:

Get you a hotel room. Sorry, we just don't know if we will have enough events total to earn a room and even if we did, how to fairly split that up. If we do end up having enough for a hotel room we may have our own hospitality suite. But count on finding your own place to stay.

Write an event for you. Sorry, we are busy writing our own. You are welcome to the ones we have already written, but we will not make tailor made events. If you want to run a game and need an event scenario, either write your own (we will give guidelines), or ask the game manufacturer to provide one.

Things You Need To Do:

Provide your own event materials. Even if you use one of our events, we have limitations on printing. You will be required to print a copy of the event. 

Bring a copy of the game. If it is an RPG, bring a copy of the books you will need in whatever format works. If it is a board game and it is not on the list above, bring it. This includes materials for LARPs and miniatures games too.

Show the fuck up. Sorry (not sorry) for the profanity there. But there is nothing worse in our eyes than a GM who does not show for their event. We had 100% of our GMs show up for their games last year and have had 100% nearly every year before. This is our reputation. This is what makes me a little nervous bringing in new GMs. if you think for whatever reason you may not be able to run your event come day of the con, don't sign up with us. We realize everyone is human and illness and emergencies happen, but if you're the kind of person who easily gets sidetracked, or sleeps in, or looses track of time, don't sign up.

Last, and I know this is kinda short notice. We need to know what events you want to run, and when you want to run them by February 10. We will work with you on the details such as length of the game, how many players, etc.

Once again email me at lostgoth (at) gmail. If you have emailed me before and did not receive this information in a recent reply from me, please send it again.

Hope to hear from you soon.

James 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.