Usual RPG start times?
Posted by probablyok

Hi,

Is there a standard time to start 4-hour RPG sessions? Like 9am, 2pm, and 7pm for instance?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've poured through the new GM documents, but I've never been to Gen Con and I can't seem to find this info.

Thanks!

Posted by derekguder

Not really, no. Some groups certainly have some standards, and 8 am, noon, 4 pm, 8 pm are fairly common, but they're not universal.

If you're running a compelling, reasonable in-demand game, just pick the time that is convenient for you and you'll get a handful of players.

You probably only need to spend much thought debating start times if you're running large events.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by probablyok

Ok, thank you very much!

Posted by bryanjonker

From personal experience, 8 AM tends to increase the number of no-shows, as people overestimate their CON scores. YMMV, of course.

Posted by glory

Just a personal opinion - I LOVE to play long RPGs on Saturday night and I seem to have a hard time finding 8pm starts on Saturday. I love going into the night on the last evening of the con. I'd be totally down for late night Saturday gaming. 

Posted by probablyok glory

glory wrote:
Just a personal opinion - I LOVE to play long RPGs on Saturday night and I seem to have a hard time finding 8pm starts on Saturday. I love going into the night on the last evening of the con. I'd be totally down for late night Saturday gaming. 
 Good to know! I was planning on doing one of those. See you there! :)

Posted by mikebialecki

I wanted to just piggy-back on this post to ask what is the typical duration of an RPG event?  It seems like 4 hours, but is 5 out of the ordinary?

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? mikebialecki

mikebialecki wrote:
I wanted to just piggy-back on this post to ask what is the typical duration of an RPG event?  It seems like 4 hours, but is 5 out of the ordinary?

5 hours isn't unusual, no.
Neither is 2 hours.

Posted by derekguder

Rough distribution of RPG events:

• 1 hour: 250
  • 2 hours: 516
  • 2.5 hours: 37
  • 3 hours: 274
  • 3.5 hours: 44
  • 4 hours: 2688
  • 4.5 hours: 19
  • 5 hours: 447
  • 6 hours: 63
  • 8 hours: 17

4 is certainly the default, but it's by no means the only way people run RPGs.

Again: if you're running a relatively small-scale event for a dozen players or less, then just run the coolest event you can't. Don't waste time trying to figure out the default or the optimal time or whatever else - if you run a cool game you'll be able to find a handful of people to come and play it.

Pick a time and duration that both works for you and the game you are trying to run. If you need 5 hours to be comfortable and not be rushed? Take it. If you want a focused 2-hour games that's in and out? Run it.

Chances are high at Gen Con you'll find enough other gamers who like the things you do the way you do that you'll be able to fill table.

Just make sure your event listing sounds as exciting as your event is going to actually be - and then tell people about it.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by sabel

My group will be running a tight time frame of 9/1/5 for events on Friday [RPG] and a NHM 1pm/5pm set

Posted by garhkal bryanjonker

bryanjonker wrote:
From personal experience, 8 AM tends to increase the number of no-shows, as people overestimate their CON scores. YMMV, of course.

Especially if on a Sunday!  Or the first game slot on Thursday morning, cause people were tardy getting their badge/tickets..

Our group (Sparks force 7) does it 8am, Noon, then a 1 hr break, then 5pm and 9pm..

New Post Sign in to write a new post.