Do you get Rewards Points for your room?
Posted by amoebasinger

Is it just me, or do you not get hotel points for your room?
I stayed at Hilton, and filed a complaint that my points never showed up.
They emailed me back and said they could not resolve it.
They also called me Norman Head.  Whoever that is.

How come I didn't get any Rewards Points?

J

Posted by noone

I stay at the Hilton every year and get my Hilton Honors points every year

Posted by traveller

I get my points every year.  Did you make sure that they have your points number when you check in?

Posted by fethbone

Did you book through a 3rd party site other than the housing block?

The only time I have had problems with getting points for a stay is when someone used Expedia to book a room on my behalf. That time, there was also a completely random name/address on my bill, so I was unable to get points because there was nothing on the receipt to indicate that that bill was actually mine. It wasn't worth the trouble to pursue, but I figured that random name was Experia's placeholder "contact" since technically they are the ones that book the room for you with the hotel chain. 

The one year I booked in the block I did get my points, but I believe I had to add my rewards number separately to the reservation.

Posted by amoebasinger

No, I booked through the housing block, and when I signed in, I double-checked at the desk that my Rewards number was in there.  And I had them examine my account too, to see what Rewards Club member level I was at.

I was really fishing for information on this thread, because we took a friend of a friend into the room, and apparently, someone can log in on the room TV and change the account information.

Seems like a bit of a security flaw, but I suspect that is what happened, because at check-out, the hotel clerk referred to me as the friend of a friend's name out of the blue.

And this guy makes his sole occupation off ebay, and I wonder if he sold the points on ebay?

Color me paranoid.

J

Posted by helenbb

Contact the hotel rewards program. They'll probably ask for a copy of your bill. Tehy should be able to put the points into your account,

Posted by traveller amoebasinger

amoebasinger wrote:
No, I booked through the housing block, and when I signed in, I double-checked at the desk that my Rewards number was in there.  And I had them examine my account too, to see what Rewards Club member level I was at.
I was really fishing for information on this thread, because we took a friend of a friend into the room, and apparently, someone can log in on the room TV and change the account information.
Seems like a bit of a security flaw, but I suspect that is what happened, because at check-out, the hotel clerk referred to me as the friend of a friend's name out of the blue.
And this guy makes his sole occupation off ebay, and I wonder if he sold the points on ebay?
Color me paranoid.
J

Sounds like you have the answer, you circumvented the physical security measure by inviting someone into your room and allowed them enough time alone to log into the account on the TV (a common feature in nearly every major hotel chain) and change the account (this is not a 2 min thing).  

You would easily be able to notice the change when you looked over your bill.  You did review the bill right?

Posted by amoebasinger

Ashamed.  I did not review the bill because my partner checked us out, and I was preoccupied and didn't catch it.
I was naive and did not suspect such a thing.

Next time, I will be more vigilant naturally.

Thanks for the reality check,

J

Posted by traveller

Sorry, I think that came off a little harsh.  I've spent years traveling for business.  The habit of checking the bill comes from the days of actual mini bars and the fact that some hotels would sneak charges from that on the bill.

It is really important to take a few min to review the bill because its really really really easy to charge food to someone elses room.  We have are full name on the badge and then all they need is a room number to charge you food in the hotel restaurant.  

Posted by amoebasinger

Thanks for the kind words.

I am not a big traveler so I will be a little more aware next time.  ;)
This time it was only points, which even so, I have taken as a pretty mean-spirited attack.  But next time, I will be careful.

J

Posted by narzat

No need for you to be ashamed, all you did was act like a decent person.  Not so for the friend of a friend, who is apparently a fraudster.  Probably worth contacting Hilton, explaining the situation, and seeing what they can do.  Assuming that you were the one who paid the bill and have the receipt, they ought to be reasonable about crediting you with the points, and debiting (or worse) the fraudster.  Maybe your friend who invited the wolf into the room could help broker some sort of fessing up too.

Posted by technoir

Got my points

New Post Sign in to write a new post.