Mandatory e-ticketing for 2021?
Posted by toxic_rat

Okay, so I know there isn't an answer for this yet, but I'm going to ask so that the question is on the table.

Will e-tickets be mandatory for 2021 events?

I'm guessing that this would be one way to greatly speed up registrations, delivery, etc.

Posted by lore seeker

A follow-up question: if it is mandatory, what about those of us that don't have smartphones?

Posted by alans

It is tied to your badge, not phone. Unless you are a GM, then, yeah, I guess you would need one.

Posted by lore seeker alans

alans wrote:
It is tied to your badge, not phone. Unless you are a GM, then, yeah, I guess you would need one.

Yeah, I'd be GMing.

Hmm...does it work with tablets?

Posted by toxic_rat

I think it works with tablets...but I'm not sure.  I used it with an Android smartphone in 2019, and it worked well.  The only issue I had was trying to scan through the clear plastic cover of a person's badge holder.

I think there was a manual entry mode, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.  But an EO/GM had to have a smart device, or something that could upload the info back to the GenCon server.

Posted by brooks lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
alans wrote:

Yeah, I'd be GMing.Hmm...does it work with tablets?

From the Event Hosting page on electronic tickets (Gen Con LLC | E-Ticketing Information for Event Organizers): 

What You’ll Need
To participate in electronic ticketing as an EO, you’ll need:

• A late-model iOS or Android phone with the Gen Con mobile app installed.
  • And/or a computer with a USB barcode scanner capable of scanning Code39 barcodes. To make sure your scanner will work, please use the Barcode Test page.

Free Wi-Fi is available in the ICC Event Halls, Stadium, and some area hotels.
The Gen Con mobile app can redeem e-tickets when internet access is slow or temporarily disrupted but will need to be connected in order to sell tickets.

Posted by lore seeker brooks

brooks wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
alans wrote:

Yeah, I'd be GMing.Hmm...does it work with tablets?

From the Event Hosting page on electronic tickets (Gen Con LLC | E-Ticketing Information for Event Organizers): What You’ll Need
To participate in electronic ticketing as an EO, you’ll need:

• A late-model iOS or Android phone with the Gen Con mobile app installed.
  • And/or a computer with a USB barcode scanner capable of scanning Code39 barcodes. To make sure your scanner will work, please use the Barcode Test page.

Free Wi-Fi is available in the ICC Event Halls, Stadium, and some area hotels.
The Gen Con mobile app can redeem e-tickets when internet access is slow or temporarily disrupted but will need to be connected in order to sell tickets.

Crap - doubt my tablet has a barcode scanner.

In that case, I really hope e-ticketing isn't required.

Posted by toxic_rat

The app did the scanning.  It just needed access to the camera.

Posted by lore seeker toxic_rat

toxic_rat wrote:
The app did the scanning.  It just needed access to the camera.

Oh okay. THAT it has (though I wonder if it's too old to run the app).

Posted by nascragman

to answer your question it is NOT required

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.