Generic Ticket Dispenser?
Posted by kitsunewarlock

I don't know how many generic tickets Gencon sells, but I feel like every year I have too many generic tickets since I fear wanting to go to an event but not having enough, knowing it would take too long waiting in line to grab some if I only have an hour (or less) between events.

There are ticket dispensers that accept cash/coin/credit card for only a few thousand dollars. Even if I had to pay 1.10/ticket instead of 1.00/ticket, I would pay for the convenience of not having to wait in line. I understand they wouldn't be tied to my account, but that's not always a bad thing when I'm in a hurry and want to buy tickets for my friends.

Just a thought. For all I know, Gencon doesn't sell enough generics to make up for the cost (plus the storage inconvenience).

Posted by helenbb

This is a great idea! And have one at Lucas Oil, so people don't have to trek all of the way back to WIll Call for those generics.

Posted by austicke

As e-ticketing becomes more widespread, the need for generics will be eliminated.

Posted by cloak72 austicke

austicke wrote:
As e-ticketing becomes more widespread, the need for generics will be eliminated.

Though, there might be plans to have generic e-tickets as well, which would make physical ones obsolete.

Posted by austicke cloak72

cloak72 wrote:
austicke wrote:
Not really.   There will still be a need for when people no-show, and the EO wants to fill the table.Though, there might be plans to have generic e-tickets as well, which would make physical ones obsolete.

With e-tickets, the EO can just sell an event ticket to players. Generic tickets go away once all events are electronic.

Posted by cloak72 austicke

austicke wrote:
cloak72 wrote:
austicke wrote:
Not really.   There will still be a need for when people no-show, and the EO wants to fill the table.Though, there might be plans to have generic e-tickets as well, which would make physical ones obsolete.

With e-tickets, the EO can just sell an event ticket to players. Generic tickets go away once all events are electronic._____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group
Not if the event has sold out.

Posted by austicke cloak72

cloak72 wrote:Not if the event has sold out.

You're mistaken.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________

Posted by mikeboozer cloak72

cloak72 wrote:
austicke wrote:
cloak72 wrote:
austicke wrote:

With e-tickets, the EO can just sell an event ticket to players. Generic tickets go away once all events are electronic._____________________________________
Not if the event has sold out.

Yes, even if the event is sold out. Generic tickets will eventually go the way of the dinosaurs. By that I mean be hit by a giant meteor strike.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by qwaserity

>>>Generic tickets will eventually go the way of the dinosaurs.

As someone who has watched the "paperless office" fad appear and flounder, I'll believe it when I see it.

HOWEVER... Brainstorming here...

What if you built into the GenCon app a means to purchase event tickets at the last minute. You scan your badge and then the badge of the Event Organizer and it gives you the option to buy a ticket to their event? Dual badge scanning would make theft unlikely plus you could track the "extra" tickets sold to events. 

Posted by noone qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
As someone who has watched the "paperless office" fad appear and flounder, I'll believe it when I see it.
What if you built into the GenCon app a means to purchase event tickets at the last minute. You scan your badge and then the badge of the Event Organizer and it gives you the option to buy a ticket to their event? Dual badge scanning would make theft unlikely plus you could track the "extra" tickets sold to events. 
how it works now if I scan a badge to sell a ticket the badge holder gets an email to the account on record and must respond to within 10 minutes for the sell to go through.  How would scanning y badge along with the purchaser increase security, since the app shows I’m the one who scanned the badge already?

Posted by rolaids24 noone

noone wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
how it works now if I scan a badge to sell a ticket the badge holder gets an email to the account on record and must respond to within 10 minutes for the sell to go through.  How would scanning y badge along with the purchaser increase security, since the app shows I’m the one who scanned the badge already?
I assume they meant because you must always have your badge on you at the con, but you could conceivably give you app login to someone else, so the scanning of your badge would serve as better security. Plus, cell service can be brutal with that many attendees, so confirming via email isn't the most practical thing to do.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.