Badge Question - Giving to pseudonym
Posted by quirkyginger

Hi!

This is a weird one.

I have a friend in an online gaming group who only goes by their gaming handle.  They are near Indianapolis and as a surprise present, I wanted to get them a badge.

Do I need to get their given name to do this?  Or can I purchase under their handle?

Thanks!

Posted by quarex

Sadly even the world's most famous person, Quarex, has to go by his real name at Gen-Con.  Unless something has changed dramatically in the past year, which seems unlikely.

Just do what I always used to do and write it in Sharpie under the name!  Well assuming you can find out her/his name that is.

Posted by grellden

not my area of expertise but in order to buy them a badge I believe you have to link as a friend to an account in the system in their name anyway. 

I love the idea of giving a badge to a friend. Maybe the best way of doing it is to say "Hey surprised I'm going to buy you a badge" Card of some kind.

badge information is here  https://www.gencon.com/attend/your_badge

It is important to remember that if you buy a badge and plan to pick it up at Will Call you will need to show valid government-issued photo ID that matches the name on the badge. Also you can not pick up badges for other people. They have to get them themselves.

Posted by cmegus

What if one had the badge mailed through USPS instead of using will call?

G

Posted by brooks cmegus

cmegus wrote:
What if one had the badge mailed through USPS instead of using will call?
G

They still have to have an account for you to purchase a badge for them and be linked up to your account through friends and family. It's been a long time since I've created accounts, but I'm relatively certain to create an account, you have to use their legal name.

Plus, why risk it even if you could finagle the system somehow to get a badge shipped with a fake name? Something tells me Gen Con would take a dim view of it, should you be discovered. I'd just go with Quarex' suggestion and permanent marker the gaming name underneath the legal name. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

I think the OP's problem is that he doesn't know the person's real name, just his gaming handle.  You can buy a badge for someone else without them having an account, and I guess you could just use his gaming handle there, when it asks for the name.  I don't know if this would violate Gen Con policies, it would be best to contact them and find out.  Also, note that the badge will be tied to your account, and the person will not be able to sign up for events on their own. 

Posted by mikeboozer

We require that they use their real name for security reasons.

They can create and account that you can link to:
https://www.gencon.com/attend/your_account

If you just create an account for them they will not be able to purchase Event Tickets for them.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.