Picking up ID for kids
Posted by michellebudd

I have two kids, 14 and 16.  I will be there all week.  They, along with their mother, will be showing up on Sunday.  They have badges already ordered.  The problem is that I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to provide 'government ID.'  I contacted GenCon to ask, and was told that a library card or school ID would be fine.  The problem is that their school does not provide ID cards.  The local library card does not have a name anywhere on it, just a bar code.  State ID cards wouldn't be ready in time.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I'm terrified that my kids are going to drive all the way up there only to be told they can't have their badges or get in.

Posted by brooks

I know our local police department issues "not for official use" child identification cards. Basically they're supposed to be for the parent to carry in case your kids gets lots at a festival or something similar and has the child's picture, name, and a brief description. They take something like 10 minutes to print up and would probably work at Gen Con to pick up badges. It may be worth calling your local police or sheriff's department to see if they do something similar. 

Posted by austicke

If they're underage, you can pickup their badges for them using your ID. You'll be fine.

Posted by jimmythesaint

Yeah, I've picked up badges and tickets several times for kids - no issues as long as I had an ID.

Posted by michellebudd

If that is true, then I really wish GenCon's original reply hadn't caused me to spend a week searching the town for alternatives.

Posted by kyl.ng michellebudd

just to clarify, you can use a student ID? you asked? 

Posted by ed_hennessy

My son was able to use his student id on Friday morning.

Posted by michellebudd

A final update, in case anyone else's search lands them in this thread in the future. I walked up with the kids, handed the attendant my own ID, and said that they were my kids. She asked their names, pulled their envelopes, and asked their email addresses to confirm.

No hassle whatsoever.

Psst - GenCon. Whichever email rep told me I needed ID and caused me to spend hours running around town trying to run down options needs to be 'reeducated.'

Posted by sofisss

[This post has been removed]

Posted by angel17

[This post has been removed]

New Post Sign in to write a new post.