Does the name on my badge have to be my legal name?
Posted by madmadi

So, long story short-the name I go by and my legal name aren't the same. I'm having it delivered so I don't need to worry about  id at will call, and its still going to be me wearing it. I just wondered if the name on the badge has to be my legal name? Thanks.

Posted by mikeboozer madmadi

lordwakkawakka wrote:
So, long story short-the name I go by and my legal name aren't the same. I'm having it delivered so I don't need to worry about  id at will call, and its still going to be me wearing it. I just wondered if the name on the badge has to be my legal name? Thanks.

Yes. Or a dissemination that approximates it enough to identify you. For example a middle name that appears on the ID or Mike for Michael.
Otherwise a lost badge and you becomes very hard to identify.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by roundtop

Mike, this sounds weird, but for many transgender people, their name they go by may not match their ID yet (and many states you cannot get your ID changed until way down the process, if at all).

I'm not saying anything about the OP's situation (it likely is completely different), but it is something to think about in your policies and procedures for IDs.

Edit: Fixed a word.

Posted by madmadi

That's why, actually. (BTW, transgender is what I am, not so I'm not a transgendered person I'm a transgender person. Just an fyi.)

Posted by roundtop madmadi

lordwakkawakka wrote:
That's why, actually. (BTW, transgender is what I am, not so I'm not a transgendered person I'm a transgender person. Just an fyi.)

I didn't want to assume. (I fixed my above comment for spelling)  I'm friends with several, so this struck me as a potential problem (Luckily one of them was already able to get their updated birth cert and ID, but it was a pain. Luckily a pain in Canada just means 6 months of paperwork and waiting).

I'm not honestly sure what the con can do as a replacement (other than having a separate "badge name" and back-end name that matches ID)... well maybe credit card number matching.

Posted by cacophonyjen

It would seem appropriate that badge-name changes for such a circumstance be handled by Special Services. I don't know whether they do that kind of thing already (but come on, it has to have happened sometime before) but at least it's a suggestion for GenCon admin.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.