Never received badge
Posted by kiyote

I think what he's saying is that he tried to cancel that second badge, but the shipping address didn't revert to the original address.  (and/or the cancellation wasn't actually applied)

Posted by austicke

This may not have anything to do with the OP's issue; but, FYI, I have heard several reports of Gen Con's registration system reverting to old addresses. A number of people have mentioned that every order form defaults to the address they originally registered with, and they have to manually change it every single time they order something. They've reported the problem to customer service but apparently the bug hasn't been identified or fixed (unless it's been tackled very recently).

I haven't moved in a while, but I have a friend who's moved a number of times in the past decade and Gen Con's system still always pulls up his address from 3 or 4 moves ago.

Posted by ladyimm

I just have to stand up and say I find solo Genconing quite a lot of fun.  I do attend with my brother (we share a hotel room) but we have different interests so I do mine and he does his.  I wade through the dealer's hall, I try to win various games of Ticket to Ride and Dominion and hit up an RPG or two with some generics (the Pathfinder rooms always seem to have openings.)  If you're not having fun then you're not putting any effort into it.  Things won't get handed to you on a gold-platter (or even a tarnished bronze one).

There are ways things work at Gencon - the whole badge to the wrong address thing.  You've made the assumption that Gencon will ship to two different addresses - they don't.  So all Gencon could do, once they printed badges (at the same time, not the time you ordered them) was go off the latest address in their system.  So the error, my friend, is yours... 

I hate making mistakes like that myself - because I also have a temper - and sometimes it's all one can do to keep from harnessing it.  Take a few deep breaths and if you need help getting your badge from Will Call, ask onsight.  Explain your problem with standing in Will Call and, most likely, someone might lend you a hand. :)

Posted by twowolves80

The website itself changed the address in a back-door fashion by updating my shipping information when I bought the second badge. I hadn't realized this, or wasn't paying attention, not realizing it would do that.

However, GenCon did make an error in the refund, which has since been taken care of as I finally got a call from customer service.

Between this, and everything else, this morning it was too much. But at the very least, I now am assured that my badge will, in fact, be there; I'm planning on showing up at will call at like 9 at night and that will eliminate the presence of lines.

The rest is mine to deal with as I see fit; GenCon corrected the error as best they could, and the issue is resolved as much as it can be.

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? twowolves80

twowolves80 wrote:
The website itself changed the address in a back-door fashion by updating my shipping information when I bought the second badge. I hadn't realized this, or wasn't paying attention, not realizing it would do that.
But at the very least, I now am assured that my badge will, in fact, be there; I'm planning on showing up at will call at like 9 at night and that will eliminate the presence of lines.

The rest is mine to deal with as I see fit; GenCon corrected the error as best they could, and the issue is resolved as much as it can be.

Yay!!
I'm glad you were able to get some kind of resolution, and indeed your badge, in the end.

Hope you enjoy however much of Gen Con you're able to attend.

Posted by braewe

I am glad this was resolved. I do kind of hope that this might add to the wishlist of different addresses being possible...but I would also not count on their bring no line at nine pm. At least not on Wednesday. Thursday maybe. However perhaps given your particular issue; and given some VIG'S read the forums regularly it might be possible that one of them could arrange a meet up with you. This means or it used to anyway that they can have your things walked down to the vig lounge and you pick them up there. Still perhaps a small tiny miniscule line but much better than will call.

Posted by ironsphinx ladyimm

ladyimm wrote:
I just have to stand up and say I find solo Genconing quite a lot of fun.  I do attend with my brother (we share a hotel room) but we have different interests so I do mine and he does his.  I wade through the dealer's hall, I try to win various games of Ticket to Ride and Dominion and hit up an RPG or two with some generics (the Pathfinder rooms always seem to have openings.)  If you're not having fun then you're not putting any effort into it.

I'm with you. If I waited around for friends and family to do things with me, I'd never get to do anything at all. I've made many a Gen Con trip completely solo or done my own thing when traveling with a group. Even though I suffer from social anxiety, I've learned over the years to just talk to the people around me, whether at games or waiting in line at the dealer room. Everything takes effort, even having a good time. :)

Posted by maijstral2 ironsphinx

ironsphinx wrote:
ladyimm wrote:
I just have to stand up and say I find solo Genconing quite a lot of fun.  I do attend with my brother (we share a hotel room) but we have different interests so I do mine and he does his.  I wade through the dealer's hall, I try to win various games of Ticket to Ride and Dominion and hit up an RPG or two with some generics (the Pathfinder rooms always seem to have openings.)  If you're not having fun then you're not putting any effort into it.

I'm with you. If I waited around for friends and family to do things with me, I'd never get to do anything at all. I've made many a Gen Con trip completely solo or done my own thing when traveling with a group. Even though I suffer from social anxiety, I've learned over the years to just talk to the people around me, whether at games or waiting in line at the dealer room. Everything takes effort, even having a good time. :)
Yep me to, I used to go with a group of friends. Eventually they moved away, moved on from gaming etc... My new gaming group is either too busy or too broke to go to Gencon so I go solo, every year I say I will pay for the hotel room and still no takers so I go solo. I also have a bit of social anxiety(I think maybe I'm just an introvert) so I just have to swallow it down and ignore it as best I can but it catches up to me every evening when I have alone time.
 Over all I thoroughly enjoy myself but I do need to be alone to recharge myself from the crowds from time to time so I guess it kind of works out that I'm solo in my room now :P.

Posted by alans twowolves80

twowolves80 wrote:
However, GenCon did make an error in the refund, which has since been taken care of as I finally got a call from customer service.
Between this, and everything else, this morning it was too much. But at the very least, I now am assured that my badge will, in fact, be there; I'm planning on showing up at will call at like 9 at night and that will eliminate the presence of lines.
Note:  If the badge was shipped, then  returned to Gen Con, you do NOT have to wait in line at Will Call; go to the (usually much shorter) Customer Service line.  Hope this helps.

Posted by ladyimm ironsphinx

ironsphinx wrote:
ladyimm wrote:

I may suffer a bit from social anxiety - at least I become more of a wallflower around a bunch of people I don't really know -- but I see familiar face at Gencon, enough that it doesn't bother me.  I figure we all play games, so we have SOMETHING in common. :)

Posted by bushmaster twowolves80

twowolves80 wrote:
I hope your solo experience at GenCon is enjoyable.  There is a lot to do and great things to keep you busy.  Remember, the people at the con (with the exception of the young kids who don't know any better) are gamers like you.  Everyone at GenCon has that basic connection and that means there is something that people can interact and build upon.

I also hope you can move past your initial "bad" feelings about the whole situation (which does stink and COULD have been handled differently) and be able to get into a positive and open mindset.

Good luck and enjoy our con.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.