Official Gen Con cancellation questions
( Locked)
4 5 6 8
4 5 6 8
Posted by eternusiv pchgargoyle12

1993 Con size was small enough to pull that off.   Not anymore.  In 2020, they made the right call to cancel, IMHO, based on the science and logistics.  Further, we don't understand the lease situation on this side of the forums.

I hope people give the Online convention a shot, and help us make some history.  

I look at it the opposite way: Gen Con is doing everything they can under the current climate, to bring us together, by organizing online events.  Travel alone poses a risk for many who attend the conventions, and moving the Con to a new city raises a million more issues...and it looks like Origins cancelled 2020 anyway, so...

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Was just scanning the big pre-Gen Con cancel thread from April & May last year.  It's amazing how naive we were about the whole thing, people thinking that the virus wouldn't be a factor by mid-late June, and Gen Con could just proceed as normal at the end of July.

What a difference nearly a year makes, where we are now wondering if Gen Con 2021 will even happen, despite multiple vaccines being available.  Let's hope it does; 1 year without Gen Con was bad, 2 will be inconceivable.

Posted by dballing buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:...where we are now wondering if Gen Con 2021 will even happen, despite multiple vaccines being available. 

I honestly can't picture vaccines being at a level of ubiquity to have provided enough herd-immunity that any municipal government is going to be cool with nearly 100,000 people hanging around together for four days in close quarters.

I'll say it now: Anyone who thinks 2021 is happening is (IMHO) as naive as the folks who insisted 2020 was going to happen.

Posted by roderick dballing

dballing wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:...where we are now wondering if Gen Con 2021 will even happen, despite multiple vaccines being available. 

I honestly can't picture vaccines being at a level of ubiquity to have provided enough herd-immunity that any municipal government is going to be cool with nearly 100,000 people hanging around together for four days in close quarters.I'll say it now: Anyone who thinks 2021 is happening is (IMHO) as naive as the folks who insisted 2020 was going to happen.

Let's cool down the rhetoric a little. It can easily get out of hand, and I don't want to have to be The Bad Guy(tm).

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by dballing roderick

roderick wrote:
dballing wrote:

I honestly can't picture vaccines being at a level of ubiquity to have provided enough herd-immunity that any municipal government is going to be cool with nearly 100,000 people hanging around together for four days in close quarters.I'll say it now: Anyone who thinks 2021 is happening is (IMHO) as naive as the folks who insisted 2020 was going to happen.

Let's cool down the rhetoric a little. It can easily get out of hand, and I don't want to have to be The Bad Guy(tm).

Sorry, wasn't trying to be heated or anything. Just riffing on the existing post more than anything else. :-)

Posted by roderick dballing

dballing wrote:
roderick wrote:
dballing wrote:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be heated or anything. Just riffing on the existing post more than anything else. :-)

No problem, I'm just trying to stop things early. 

Calling people naive can be a trigger....

Posted by mikeboozer

Thanks for inflating our numbers, but were not even close to 100,000. We also of course have no way of limiting the number of attendees...

We are still planning on having a convention, and predicting what will happen by August at this point is futile.

Locking this post as it's old and we will be opening up the new 2021 forums soon.

Mike

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
4 5 6 8
4 5 6 8