Gaming the system
( Locked)
Posted by k.trafton

I've intentionally waited for the reservation time slots to be allotted before asking this question...

Hypothetical scenario: Gamer1 wants to get a skywalk hotel so they decide to make some extra fake accounts for Gamer2, Gamer3, Gamer4, Gamer5, Gamer6, Gamer7, Gamer8, Gamer9, Gamer10, and Gamer11. All accounts list the various Gamer accounts as friends. Gamer1 then buys 4-day badges for themself and for the 10 extra accounts. Gamer1 now has 6 shots at the housing lottery and assuming average luck is able to make a reservation for a skywalk hotel. Gamer1 then gets a refund for the superfluous Gamer2-11 badges (minus whatever non-refundable fee is charged for this service). 

Does Gamer1 get away with this?

Posted by wormshoes

Only the purchaser of the badges gets an access time to housing registration. They can then reserve the associated number of rooms to the amount of badges purchased. For instance I bought 4 badges but I was the only one notified of a housing time slot and I can reserve 2 rooms at that time

Posted by k.trafton

I agree. In the scenario above,  Gamer1 purchased 11 badges which entitles them to 6 lottery time slots. I just don't see any restrictions to refunding the extra badges (which allowed for 5 extra slots) after the lottery is over.

Unless I'm missing something...

Posted by narzat

You would have to use each account to purchase the badges in order to get more time slots.  Buying them all on one account only gives you one time slot.  But I’d be willing to bet that Gen Con is monitoring for such fraud, and you would run the risk of losing everything if they caught you.  Note that on the Accounts page, they strongly discourage creating multiple accounts, because it is ‘problematic’.  I assume that they are using techniques like comparing IP addresses, browser and operating system info, credit card info etc. to detect cheaters.  At least I hope so.  

The best way to ‘game’ the system is to persuade enough friends to actually go, and get a bunch of time slots that way.  Everyone has fun, no one gets booted for fraud, and you get to hang with friends at the con :)

Posted by selene314

There's a $10 fee to refund each badge, so your 11-accounts scheme would cost an extra $100.
I don't know whether that's much of a deterrent for anyone trying for a downtown hotel.

Posted by rong

As mentioned, you would need each of the 11 accounts to purchase a single badge. Each of those accounts needs their own unique e-mail and attendee. If you make 11 accounts for John Smith, be prepared to get the boot.

So let's say you create an extra 10 unique e-mails and accounts. Account 8 "wins the lottery". Now, in addition to the $90 lost returning the other 9 badges, you are out another 4-day badge. You could return your own badge and use the fake one I suppose, but if you want to add any events later, it could be problematic.

By this time you probably would have been better off just getting an out of block room and saving all the hassle for a chance at a better time slot. 11 accounts is no guarantee of anything but losing $100 on badge returns.

Posted by k.trafton

The $10 fee per badge is the only downside but not much of one. I would gladly pay an extra $100 for a downtown hotel room. 

There is some confusion how purchasing multiple badges works. The time slots and the sole ownership of the (eventual) reservations belong to the account that purchased the badges. It is a very different situation than buying individual badges from individual accounts.

Posted by selene314 k.trafton

k.trafton wrote:There is some confusion how purchasing multiple badges works. The time slots and the sole ownership of the (eventual) reservations belong to the account that purchased the badges. It is a very different situation than buying individual badges from individual accounts.

Yes, you are confusing the ability to reserve multiple rooms with having multiple time slots.

One account only gains access to the housing portal at one time. No matter how many hotel rooms that account can reserve with that access.

From the Housing Guide:

MULTIPLE ROOM REQUESTS
If you have purchased sufficient badges to qualify for more than one hotel room, all of your “Request Rooms” links activate concurrently

Posted by quarex

You could have paid an extra $100 for a downtown hotel room by booking out of block, though.

Well, maybe not now.  But before the housing lottery opened you could have.  And O.K. maybe more like an extra $250 but still, haha.  If money is not the issue, there are always options...for a while.

Edit: Oh neat, that makes sense that the system has some built-in techniques to make it harder to commit fraud.

Posted by matthias9

selene314 has the right answer.  You can book multiple rooms in this fashion, but you do not get 6 timeslots as was suggested in the initial post.  You'd have to buy them separately (not via friends link).  Last year, I had my two college age kids going with my group.  I could have bought those tickets for them as described above, but I let them buy their own so we'd each get a different timeslot.  I imagine that's what most [real] groups are doing, too.

By the way, I doubt they are doing much "comparing IP addresses, browser and operating system info, credit card info".  I just described a situation where 3 separate accounts were purchased from my house (same IP address, credit card info, etc.).  However, none of these badges were refunded.  If they are looking closely anything, my money would be on the canceled badges.  But, maybe that's what you meant.  Gen Con has a lot of irons in the fire, though.  I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't make the cut for resources/time expenditure.  Personally, I would be ok with a "no refunds on badges" practice to combat that kind of nonsense.  But, I understand others hate that idea for various reasons.

Posted by chrisbuddha

the no refunds thing would never work either though.  There's always ppl who get screwed out of housing and simply bail on going to the con and want a refund. Adopting a no refund policy would be a seismic change and would likely result in less people committing to the con if they didn't have housing secured.

Posted by squirecam chrisbuddha

chrisbuddha wrote:
the no refunds thing would never work either though.  There's always ppl who get screwed out of housing and simply bail on going to the con and want a refund. Adopting a no refund policy would be a seismic change and would likely result in less people committing to the con if they didn't have housing secured.

I don’t agree with this. They have sold out badges the past two years, well after the housing block rooms were gone. People still go, even without in block hotel rooms downtown.

Posted by daveculp

Yes, I COULD work but.......

1.  You would need to create 11 different account with 11 different emails and fake names.
2.  Each badge that was refunded would costs you $10.0
3.  The reservation is associated with the account and cannot be transferred.  Therefore if the fake name and account got the earlier time slot than the real account you would need to keep your real account for badge and your fake account.

Yes, it could work but its a hassle.

Posted by daveculp quarex

quarex wrote:
You could have paid an extra $100 for a downtown hotel room by booking out of block, though.
Well, maybe not now.  But before the housing lottery opened you could have.  And O.K. maybe more like an extra $250 but still, haha.  If money is not the issue, there are always options...for a while.
Edit: Oh neat, that makes sense that the system has some built-in techniques to make it harder to commit fraud.

I looked and most downtown hotel rooms were either not accepting reservations or prices were $300+ a more per night.  Most were asking around $500/night for a single or double.

Posted by gib_rebeg daveculp

daveculp wrote:
Yes, I COULD work but.......

3.  The reservation is associated with the account and cannot be transferred.  Therefore if the fake name and account got the earlier time slot than the real account you would need to keep your real account for badge and your fake account.
Yes, it could work but its a hassle.

There is a sidestep to that rule.

Simply have your self listed as a "Guest" on the room, wait until it transfers to the hotel after July 14th. Then contact the hotel directly and switch it to the primary account & credit card if needed.

Downside is you wont be able to refund the fake badge as the cutoff date is June 14th. But I've seen people scalping 4 day badges in the lines before.

Posted by mikeboozer

Do not make multiple accounts in the system and purchase badges on them. This can result in you being banned from Gen Con.

You must have your own badge with your own ID on it. If you scalp a badge then you are risking not only your own expulsion but then the person who sold it to you will be banned from the convention as well in the future.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.