Housing Lottery- time spread
Posted by donaldbain

8:16 pm.  Checking back seems to be the new plan.

Posted by austicke matthias9

matthias9 wrote:I know someone who registered for a badge last year AFTER times were sent out.  This person got 7:07pm, which presumably was the end of the line.  Again, this was last year.

I see a couple times in this thread that are later than that, including one that is more than an hour later.  That suggests to me that it may be more spread out (assuming roughly same number of registrants, which I think is a fair assumption).

Yeah, based on Facebook polls, it seems to go until around 9pm this year compared to 7pm last year.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Posted by wells

We got 4:XX and 5:XX, not holding out any hope for a downtown hotel with those times.

Posted by deadsaidfred

7:58 - I continue to hate this process - have never rcvd a competitive time...

Posted by rong

My sympathies to that person or persons that got a 12:xx time slot and log in the following Sunday in a fit of brain dump. But to the 2:01 slot that benefits, huzzah!

Posted by craftyshafty deadsaidfred

deadsaidfred wrote:

Pre-lottery: always had a downtown room.
Post-lottery: never had a downtown room.

Posted by ethrdemon

2:44pm EST, got a little glimmer of hope

Posted by dotificus

Interesting to see they've spread it out more, but I don't think we'll benefit with my 6:55 pm timeslot, heh. Fingers X-treme crossed that my out of block reservation doesn't get cancelled. 

Posted by njseahawksfan

3:17pm EST here.  Fingers crossed

Posted by mikeboozer craftyshafty

craftyshafty wrote:
deadsaidfred wrote:

Here is the explanation for this:

Pre-lottery: Rooms available as the number of people trying to get them was greatly reduced.

Post-lottery: Many more people attempting to get those same rooms.

The random selection process gives everybody a chance at getting their preferred housing. 

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by iceking777

We had 4 people in our group. 3 of them got times after 5pm, and the lucky one got 2:17pm and was able to sneak into the Alexander.

Is there a waiting list or anything for the others? I have another group of friends (just a couple) that also got awful times. It just is a huge feels bad when this happens, and hard to justify requesting time off if my entire vacation comes to a god darn lottery system..

Posted by mikeboozer iceking777

iceking777 wrote:
We had 4 people in our group. 3 of them got times after 5pm, and the lucky one got 2:17pm and was able to sneak into the Alexander.
Is there a waiting list or anything for the others? I have another group of friends (just a couple) that also got awful times. It just is a huge feels bad when this happens, and hard to justify requesting time off if my entire vacation comes to a god darn lottery system..

There is no waiting list:

You can always search for a better listing however throughout the year.

MODIFICATION POLICY
You can modify your room assignment as needed and free of charge, provided the assignment is not cancelled in its entirety. Free modifications include change of hotel, room type, stay dates, roommates, guest contact information, special requests such as ADA Accessible room, and credit card information. Changes can be performed from the time you receive the initial assignment acknowledgment through the close of housing registration on July 13, 2020.
To modify or cancel your room assignment, log into your Gen Con account, visit your My Housing page, and click the “Manage Room” link for the assigned room you'd like to change. The link will connect you with the online system where you can make the desired adjustments. Changes will not go into effect unless you click the “submit” button to confirm the change; closing your browser before submitting the change will leave the original assignment intact.

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

What I believe escapes everyone's understanding of the process is this: Sunday was not the only day the portal is open. Nor was it the only day to get the hotel you want.

You're all gamers, learn to play the game.  I have never had a time that allowed me to reserve a connected room on the first day the portal opened. I have always stayed in my own room, downtown, in a connected hotel by the time Gen Con rolls around. Log into the portal a couple times a day between now and July and you'll find one.

Posted by mikeboozer oldcurmudgeonstudios

oldcurmudgeonstudios wrote:
What I believe escapes everyone's understanding of the process is this: Sunday was not the only day the portal is open. Nor was it the only day to get the hotel you want.
You're all gamers, learn to play the game.  I have never had a time that allowed me to reserve a connected room on the first day the portal opened. I have always stayed in my own room, downtown, in a connected hotel by the time Gen Con rolls around. Log into the portal a couple times a day between now and July and you'll find one.

So very true! You can continue to look for a room until the hotel cut off date.

Posted by fethbone oldcurmudgeonstudios

oldcurmudgeonstudios wrote:
I can attest to this. I was able to use the portal to book a connected downtown room in May just by checking x2 a day for about two weeks.

I bought my badge in April- didn't even bother with the lottery time or opening day portal.

Posted by daveculp

Keep checking but there are two times when rooms tend to come open due to dumping.

1.  Right after event reg when people dont get events they want.
2.  Just before the June 8th deadline where dumping afterwards costs you a nights stay.

Posted by quarex craftyshafty

craftyshafty wrote:
deadsaidfred wrote:

You sound like a good candidate for reserving in September!

Posted by ar6474

This year our time was 7:30pm CST so I didn't even bother.. I am glad I booked a room at the Residence Airport few months earlier as a back up. The portal it shows I would have to stay in Carmel, IN  to get a room. 

On another note I though there was to be a new hotel opening up this year with 400 plus rooms. I guess that didn't happen. 

I feel like the VIGs reserve many rooms since they get early access but then I would expect early access if I am paying $650 for a 4 day ticket. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.