Hotels that sleep 3 or more
Posted by jde9942

I know Embassy offers some suite sized rooms that accommodate 3 or more guests, but does anyone (or Gencon itself) have a list of hotels that offer larger rooms other than the standard 1 king or 2 queen beds?  And I mean rooms offered through the GC block. 

Posted by austicke

Here is a list of all room types from last year. I won't have access to the housing portal until Jan 26 this year.

Posted by jde9942

Thanks Alec.  A few follow up questions if you don't mind:

So the number in parenthesis is the room capacity assuming 2 ppl per bed? 

And all of those room types (including those listed as suites/deluxe) were available through the portal last year? 

Some of those don't have a price listed, you just didn't have a price at the time of the post last year?  But they're still offered at a discount though GC housing?

Posted by austicke jde9942

jde9942 wrote:So the number in parenthesis is the room capacity assuming 2 ppl per bed?

It's the maximum room capacity listed in the portal, but that's probably the formula, yes.
And all of those room types (including those listed as suites/deluxe) were available through the portal last year?

Yes.​​​​​​
Some of those don't have a price listed, you just didn't have a price at the time of the post last year?  But they're still offered at a discount though GC housing?

Yes and yes. Those rooms were booked before I had a chance to record the cost (which means they were all snatched up by VIGs).

Posted by helenbb

Westin king rooms all have a pull-out sofa bed. We have been using the Westin 'king' rooms for 3 people for years.

Posted by evangel2724 helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Westin king rooms all have a pull-out sofa bed. We have been using the Westin 'king' rooms for 3 people for years.
Hey, this will be my first year at Gencon and I'm staying at the Westin in a king room with pull out sofa. How's the hotel? Room? location? etc.  Any suggestions or tips Helenbb :) ?

Posted by fethbone

I'm not sure if this matters to you, but note that even though a room might be listed as a "suite", it may not have a separate bedroom with a closing door. I think Embassy is the only property where all the rooms have a separated bedroom. Most rooms at Staybridge and Homewood Suites, for example, have a sofa and kitchenette/dining area, but it's still all one pretty much open floor plan besides the bathroom. 

Speaking of Homewood, there is a Homewood Suites in Downtown Indy that wasn't in Alec's list as it doesn't appear to have participated in the hotel block.

According to the gencon hotel page, nightly rates for Embassy Suites are $252-302/night. And yes, those are GenCon discount rates. 

Posted by helenbb evangel2724

evangel2724 wrote:
helenbb wrote:
Hey, this will be my first year at Gencon and I'm staying at the Westin in a king room with pull out sofa. How's the hotel? Room? location? etc.  Any suggestions or tips Helenbb :) ?

Location is excellent. The only thing that's far away is Lucas Oil, and if you're close to the stadium, then you're far from other things, so there's always a tradeoff there. The hotel is very nice, although the elevators can get crowded at certain times (like any hotel). The in-hotel food is meh, but it's so easy to walk to  food that this isn't a problem. The rooms are nicely sized, and even when the pullout sofa is out, there is still plenty of room to move around. The bathroom is a little small, but if only one person is in there at a time, it's not a big deal. 

Tip: if you feel like you will use it, check in as early as possible and ask for a 'concierge lounge upgrade'. It's $25 per room per day, and will let you into the concierge lounge (in the lobby, near the front desk. You'll have free drinks and snacks in there, as well as breakfast in the mornings and hot snacks at night. It's a really nice room to play a game, or bring back a meal (which you can supplement with the drinks and snacks in the lounge). 

Posted by divachelle fethbone

fethbone wrote:Speaking of Homewood, there is a Homewood Suites in Downtown Indy that wasn't in Alec's list as it doesn't appear to have participated in the hotel block.
The downtown Indy Homewood is, to the best of my knowledge, never in block for Gen Con. 

Posted by quarex

And I found out the hard way this year that they charge up front even for the room types that Hilton properties never charge up front for, haha. Oh well, still a nice and close hotel. 

Posted by jedijawa74

We were at the Hilton a few years ago and had a room with two queen beds and a separate room with a sofa bed.  We slept 4-5 in there on different days without problem.

Posted by ematuskey

I wish more hotels (not just in Indy) had options that included 3 full beds--even the suites are usually, at most, 2 beds and a pullout (and it's amazing how many suites are actually just 1K and a pullout). 

Posted by eldrad12000

All rooms have room for 4 people, or 6 people or whatever. I have seen some crazy rooms come GenCon. I don't of course condone such things on this forum. Buuuut, I say what I have seen.

Posted by fethbone

There are still out-of-block rooms, including suites with a separated bedroom, available at the Staybridge Suites downtown at the time of this posting. Starting at a salty $483USD/night, but they're there.

Posted by cbudoris austicke

austicke wrote:
Here is a list of all room types from last year. I won't have access to the housing portal until Jan 26 this year.

Posted by austicke cbudoris

cbudoris wrote:Alec, could you post the room types available in the housing portal for this year?

Here you go.

austicke wrote:
cbudoris wrote:Alec, could you post the room types available in the housing portal for this year?

Here you go.

U da man. 

I might beg your indulgence one more time in this thread just before the housing opens, so ppl can see what rooms are still available after the (greedy) VIGS get theirs. 

Posted by austicke cbudoris

cbudoris wrote:I might beg your indulgence one more time in this thread just before the housing opens, so ppl can see what rooms are still available after the (greedy) VIGS get theirs. 

No problem. I’ll be posting updates to the Facebook group.

austicke wrote:

Here you go.

Alec, could you post the available rooms on the GC Facebook page? TIA.

Posted by austicke

Update posted here.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.