Hotel costs
Posted by lehane

I tried the food trucks a couple of years ago but ended up paying the same price for 3 tacos as at Hooters and that was without the table, chair, AC, free refills on the drink, and the waitress. 

As far as the closures go, that has next to nothing to do with Gencon and more to do with year around business. One weekend isn't going to make or break you for a year. 

There are a lot of steak houses in downtown Indy so dividing up that market too much was the issue on the closures there.

I was under the impression Tilted Kilt moved out of downtown to a location where they could have a parking lot. Much like it is here in Memphis, the only thing getting me to drive downtown and pay to park is Texas de Brazil. If I lived in Indy it would be Elmo's. Other than that hang it up, I will drive to a location with parking. 

Posted by garhkal brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
kidlidar wrote:
Food trucks - stand in line for 20+ minutes only to be told "sorry we're sold out"  Go to a different truck and pay 12.99 for 3 oz of pulled chicken on a bun that was purchased at a grocery (and stale to boot) or better yet, pay the same price for a small piece of steak on a skewer that ended up making my daughter sick so she missed a whole day of the con last year.

Having talked to a food inspector about these issues last year, I now understand that it's actually very hard to determine exactly what food it was that made you sick. Everyone always points to the last food they ate, but in fact it's almost never the last thing you ate. The pathogens don't work that fast. You eat something, and it starts working, but takes a while. Between eating and getting sick, most people will have had one to two other meals. Even eating dinner and being sick the next morning very probably was not from the dinner last night.

Don't i know it.  Got sick from food i ate for Breakfast, but thought it was what i had for dinner that made me sick..  

Posted by brotherbock lehane

lehane wrote:
I tried the food trucks a couple of years ago but ended up paying the same price for 3 tacos as at Hooters and that was without the table, chair, AC, free refills on the drink, and the waitress. 

The trucks allow you be able to choose to have tacos...or noodles...or bbq...or pretzels...or cajun...or ten other kinds of foods, all within a one block row, right next to the Con center.

I actually didn't count the number of trucks they would fit into that line. Let's say it was 10 at a time. I just checked googlemaps--going out to one block from the ICC (including just across the street on Illinois) you have 22 restaurants (including Bee coffee and a trio of Starbucks). There may be a couple other Google isn't showing--it's not showing me the Subway in the Hyatt, for example. But let's look at them.

Pullman
Mikado
Ram
Harry and Izzy
St. Elmo
Spoke & Steel
Eagle's Nest
Nourish/No Name
Dick's Last Resort
Loughmillers
High Velocity
TGIF
OP Italian Indy

That's the list of places you won't get into and out of in less than 45 min (optimistically) during normal meal hours. So that leaves 8 that you could get to, eat, and be done with in 45 min. Three of those are Starbucks, one is Bee coffee. So for substantial food, you're down to 4 places.

Now add the food trucks back in, and you're up to 14 places. Even when the lines are long, you are eating and done in 45 in the food truck line.

That is why they are there. No one said the food trucks would be cheaper--that isn't the purpose of having them there. The purpose is to have real food, right next to the Con, and a bunch of variety (not just 10 more ICC food stations), that will be quicker than going and sitting down inside. If you want AC, yeah, go somewhere else. If you want to sit down with a group at a table and chat, the trucks aren't for that either.

And yeah, the quality will vary too. Just like it will with regular restaurants. But the fact that you could go get your tacos right next to the ICC is the reason they are there. Of all the places 1 block from the ICC, maybe a place like the Ram would have tacos on their menu. But the Ram is not in-and-out in 45 minutes. It's an hour, minimum.

Posted by squirecam

Dicks bodacious bbq right off the circle is pretty quick. And you can call ahead for pickup. 

Posted by brotherbock squirecam

squirecam wrote:
Dicks bodacious bbq right off the circle is pretty quick. And you can call ahead for pickup. 

And seriously good too, tried it this year.

I personally don't care about a walk of a bunch of blocks. Unless I have limited time between games. If I have an hour between, the circle isn't going to work. When you add up walk there, eat, walk back, if there's any wait at all, or if you want to actually enjoy the food and not just scarf it down, that won't work. More than an hour, sure. At that point, a lot more opens up. I didn't use the trucks this year because I had more time. Ate twice at the Italian place right across from the Hilton Garden, next to Dick's Bodacious...Giorgio's Pizza. Quite good. But not as fast/close as the trucks, if you need that.

Posted by lehane

I wasn't questioning why they are there. The line of people would be justification for them by itself. I simply don't get the appeal for them at the same price. I felt ripped off last time I went to a food truck when I was done eating. But to each their own. 

Posted by brotherbock lehane

lehane wrote:
I wasn't questioning why they are there. The line of people would be justification for them by itself. I simply don't get the appeal for them at the same price. I felt ripped off last time I went to a food truck when I was done eating. But to each their own. 

I get you. But that was part of my point, that the appeal is a combination of variety and location. If you don't have a lot of time to walk--or, if you have a group who can't agree on what to eat--the trucks are there with comparable food, at comparable prices, and are closer and faster. They aren't cheaper or better, just closer and faster. :)

Posted by quarex

Are we still talking about hotel costs?!?

I was delighted to find that my "emergency expensive back-up option" booking a year out, the Conrad ($400+/night), has now become the cheapest available option.  This is a pretty big change, from my perspective; the Embassy Suites, my book-a-year-out go-to since like 2007, is literally $999/night to book out-of-block.  Pretty astounding, particularly when I called them to check why they were showing such an absurd price and was told it was correct.

Oh, and I grant that being an elite member of some other hotel chain might enable you to book at other connected hotels, so I am speaking as a Hilton Diamond member when I say that every connected hotel is showing as sold out other than the two mentioned above.  Checking Hotels.com/Expedia/Trivago/whatever for non-Hilton hotels showed nothing available closer than 2 miles away.  And I am sure someone will post saying it is too early or something, but I have been booking hotels at this time for the subsequent year every year since 2007, so it seems like hotels are committing even more of their rooms to the Gen-Con block for 2020, rendering it even harder to avoid the lottery.

Posted by steffles

This year's JW Marriott felt like an out of block room - price wise. 

We came in on Tuesday so I needed to reserve an extra night outside the block.  It was an "upgraded" room - just a bit more space on the corner.  I paid an $50 for that upgrade and was told that I could stay in that room when Gencon started and not be charged the extra $50.

Turned out that Marriott phone rep was wrong - and upon check in they did charge me the extra $50 for the entire stay -- bringing the room to $300 + $44 parking.  It felt expensive but I wasn't arguing.

We had a perpetual puddle in the room (including daily wet socks from accidentally stepping in the puddle) because of an issue with the air conditioning.  It got very bad and a mechanic needed to come to fix the leaking unit on Sunday.  

End of story, I asked front dest to take off the $50 per day extra charge they added to our bill, and they gladly did.

Gotta say - it was our best Gencon in 9 years and JW Marriott was the best place to stay even with the hefty price and wet rug:)

Posted by garhkal steffles

steffles wrote:
We came in on Tuesday so I needed to reserve an extra night outside the block.  It was an "upgraded" room - just a bit more space on the corner.  I paid an $50 for that upgrade and was told that I could stay in that room when Gencon started and not be charged the extra $50.
Turned out that Marriott phone rep was wrong - and upon check in they did charge me the extra $50 for the entire stay -- bringing the room to $300 + $44 parking.  It felt expensive but I wasn't arguing.
We had a perpetual puddle in the room (including daily wet socks from accidentally stepping in the puddle) because of an issue with the air conditioning.  It got very bad and a mechanic needed to come to fix the leaking unit on Sunday.  
End of story, I asked front dest to take off the $50 per day extra charge they added to our bill, and they gladly did.
Gotta say - it was our best Gencon in 9 years and JW Marriott was the best place to stay even with the hefty price and wet rug:)

Why did they take so long to get someone up to fix the AC/puddle issue?

Posted by brotherbock garhkal

garhkal wrote:
steffles wrote:

They're still playing 1st edition at that hotel--they had to roll for encounters on each floor :)

Posted by steffles brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
garhkal wrote:

They're still playing 1st edition at that hotel--they had to roll for encounters on each floor :)
They took so long because my husband refused to let me call the front desk to report it...he didn't want to change rooms and he didn't want to deal.  So, they finally fixed it when it got so bad (like really really wet) the cleaning people noticed it while cleaning our room.  I get that it is our fault - but he works so hard all year round and he did not want to pack up and change rooms....  Even after they came to fix it the fans were so loud - but we still didn't change rooms:)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.