Shula's Steakhouse Closing
Posted by fethbone andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
Ok so this is my current dinning list for the 8 meals we will eat in Indy. We bring things for breakfast. Need 1 or 2 more. (*=New for us)
Giordano's Pizza
Burger Study (Probably twice)
Claddaugh Irish Pub *New
Primanti Bros
Nada *New
(The Old Spaghetti Factory or Buca di Beppo)
Assuming you do not want to go any more than a mile walk from the ICC:

- Napolese Pizzeria: opposite of Chicago-style, Neapolitan-style pizza with a very thin, crispy crust.
- Punch Bowl Social: Good food and has an arcade/bowling alley/pool tables if you want to do non-Gencon games for a bit.
- PF Chang's: Prevalent chain, but since I saw you had Giordano's and the pasta places on there, I figured that's not an issue. This is usually my go-to when I want a decent sit-down meal right next to the ICC. A lot less crazy than Mikado.

If you are venturing further afield, I would recommend Rook (Filipino-fusion) or Kuma's Corner (Burgers).

Posted by keithbradburn andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
Ok so this is my current dinning list for the 8 meals we will eat in Indy. We bring things for breakfast. Need 1 or 2 more. (*=New for us)
Giordano's Pizza
Claddaugh Irish Pub *New
Primanti Bros
Nada *New
Might I suggest,

Sugarfire BBQ
Kilroy's
Pearl Street Pizzeria

I work downtown so I get to most all of them at some point in time.

Posted by keithbradburn aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:Going to have to find a Mexican place to try for this year. We tried Urban Eats Grill and Cantina last year, and I wasn't impressed either.

Tried Nada's yet, between the Yard House and Hampton Inn? There's also The Tamale Place in City Market. That last I need to get to at some point; that location closes at, of all times, 4pm :-| . Which necessitates some planning. I don't know of any other Central/South American restaurants downtown, but there has to be more. 
The Tamale Place does have a couple different locations.  I am more familiar with the Rockville Road location which is open longer.
http://thetamaleplace.com/

Posted by quarex

You should call Claddagh before making it one of your go-to spots; they never seem to know whether they want Gen-Con's business or not; like, sure, they decorate their building and are very welcoming, but they also sometimes have a cut-down menu almost devoid of Irish food (what is the point?) and I am not exaggerating when I say a good 50% of their seating cannot handle someone over 200 pounds... and, well.  This is Gen-Con.  I think 4 out of the 5 times we have gone there we have ended up having to move seats when we physically would not fit where they tried to put us first (and then, if they do not even have bangers and mash available, you better watch out)

Posted by andrewj.rager quarex

quarex wrote:
You should call Claddagh before making it one of your go-to spots; they never seem to know whether they want Gen-Con's business or not; like, sure, they decorate their building and are very welcoming, but they also sometimes have a cut-down menu almost devoid of Irish food (what is the point?) and I am not exaggerating when I say a good 50% of their seating cannot handle someone over 200 pounds... and, well.  This is Gen-Con.  I think 4 out of the 5 times we have gone there we have ended up having to move seats when we physically would not fit where they tried to put us first (and then, if they do not even have bangers and mash available, you better watch out)
Did they just run out of food, or did they actually take things off the menu? The first year Primanti Bros. was open in DT Indy they didn't have a clue about Gen Con and ran out of almost all food and beer. It was crazy, we went on Saturday night and it was hard to order something. lol They didn't make that mistake last year to my knowledge.

Posted by squirecam fethbone

fethbone wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
Giordano's Pizza
Claddaugh Irish Pub *New
Primanti Bros
Nada *New
Assuming you do not want to go any more than a mile walk from the ICC:- Napolese Pizzeria: opposite of Chicago-style, Neapolitan-style pizza with a very thin, crispy crust.
- Punch Bowl Social: Good food and has an arcade/bowling alley/pool tables if you want to do non-Gencon games for a bit.
- PF Chang's: Prevalent chain, but since I saw you had Giordano's and the pasta places on there, I figured that's not an issue. This is usually my go-to when I want a decent sit-down meal right next to the ICC. A lot less crazy than Mikado.
If you are venturing further afield, I would recommend Rook (Filipino-fusion) or Kuma's Corner (Burgers).
Dicks Bodacious BBQ is popular with my group.

Posted by shibas

Has anything replaced the Noodles and company?

Posted by keithbradburn shibas

shibas wrote:
Has anything replaced the Noodles and company?
No.  They did replace the space for rent and realtor information last week.

Posted by shibas

Well that's a shame, it was nice to have a food quick food spot in that location for when shake & steak was crazy late at night.

Posted by quarex andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
quarex wrote:
Did they just run out of food, or did they actually take things off the menu? The first year Primanti Bros. was open in DT Indy they didn't have a clue about Gen Con and ran out of almost all food and beer. It was crazy, we went on Saturday night and it was hard to order something. lol They didn't make that mistake last year to my knowledge.
They had a special mostly-non-Irish-food menu for the convention, in maybe 2017, where you could choose like nachos, burgers, pizza, spinach artichoke dip, and corned beef and cabbage, and nothing else.  Like, there WAS one Irish thing on the menu, but why would you want to go to Claddagh for mostly generic sports bar food?

Granted, as I said, they definitely do not do that every year, and I have no idea what they did last year since I did not go.

Posted by indyfoodguy

Good riddance.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.