Annual "Housing Sucks" Party
Posted by gib_rebeg

Every year, it happens. As we all get our times to enter the housing portal, many find they didn't luck out in the lottery. And then it starts. Post and threads one after another swearing that their whole vacation is "RUINED", the whole system is "BROKEN" and complaints abound.

Followed up with the "Well if they did it this way" post which in general would favor them greatly. Or the "Lets move Gencon to..." which would likely be closer to where they live.

We've all seen them, they happen every year.

Lessons learned from years of attending Gencon. Be flexible and plan alternatives. Don't let it be the end of the world or the one thing that makes for a poor con experience. If there is a will of going, we all can find a work around to it. Might take some effort and some additional burden, but if you are determined enough, you can usually find a way to make it work.

But with that said, it will be starting soon. So enjoy the party.

Posted by awyldknght

Not having been apart of GenCon, or the housing lottery before, We booked a room by the airport as backup. If we get a closer one, great, if not, well we have a room booked that isn't to far out. 

The way we see it, it is what is is. Let's go have fun. Between the 3 of us, we hope to get a good time. 

Posted by armadilloal

Good way of looking at it.  

My first two Gen Cons were out in one of the outlying hotels as well (other direction from the airport, but about the same distance).  I had a great time, and didn't feel like I was missing out.  I freely admit that it's not for everyone, though - I'm an early bird, so I never had to fight for parking; I did it solo, so I didn't have to try to coordinate my rides or schedule with anyone else; I don't have any sort of disability that requires a closer room and lets me walk all day; that sort of thing.  But if you can physically swing it, there's no shame in staying outside of downtown.

My last two Gen Cons, I've been fortunate enough to get a downtown room, via obsessively checking the portal 2-3 times a day (I've never 'won' the housing lottery).

I do have to admit that the experience is better, even if for nothing else than being able to go back to my room for 30-60 minutes every afternoon to shower, change into fresh socks, and decompress for a little bit.  It doesn't even cost me any more, since I can always find somebody to split the cost of a downtown room but would almost certainly be paying the entire cost of the outlying hotel myself. 

But that's all "nice to haves" for me and not "need to haves".  If I can't swing a downtown room this year, I'll just have to plan a little harder.  No big deal; I'll still have the time of my life.

Posted by burthoovis

My friends and I have gone for the past 5 years or so and always stayed way outside of downtown.  We have always had a good time.  This year we decided to try for downtown lodging.  We have 10 people with badges, so we are hoping that 2 of them get good enough times.  If not, we'll just do what we've always done and have a good time.

Posted by jolee103

I think there are pros and cons to both. I like outside of downtown because it's cheaper, usually free breakfast, most rooms have mini fridge and microwave and free wifi. Those things are hard to find downtown. 
I stayed downtown last year and you definitely feel more immersed in the GenCon atmosphere when you're staying downtown. That was a huge difference for me. And being within walking distance was great! We stayed on monument circle and it was about a 15 minute walk. I feel like we were able to fit in more gaming/shopping.  The huge drawback on that for me was after being in the vendor hall and having to hike back with about 75 pounds of games in the heat. Then I missed my shuttle back to the car. 

Posted by tryanw

Rent a hot air balloon and sleep in the sky above the convention center. 

Posted by ar6474

you can always cast Leomund's Tiny Hut and sleep anywhere

Posted by captain 10beers

GenCon HOBOCON 2019!  Sleep anywhere you can!   

Posted by buffythecatslayer

There are places in the ICC where you could probably crash, and no one would bother you.  Showering might be an issue though...

Posted by captain 10beers buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
There are places in the ICC where you could probably crash, and no one would bother you.  Showering might be an issue though...
Plenty of sinks at the convention center!  Washing the feet is tricky though! :) 

Posted by brooks captain 10beers

captain 10beers wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
Plenty of sinks at the convention center!  Washing the feet is tricky though! :) 

Event LARP080119 "The Camp Out"

Description: All players spread out sleeping bags and lay down quietly on/in them. 

Posted by andrewj.rager brooks

brooks wrote:
captain 10beers wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
Description: All players spread out sleeping bags and lay down quietly on/in them. 
Materials are not provided for this event.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
brooks wrote:
captain 10beers wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
Materials are not provided for this event.

This event IS a tournament...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.