Vendor changes from last year
Posted by matthias9

Lol.   Yeah, if you assume the cost to be at the Con is zero. 

The owner of one booth told me his goal was just to break even. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer matthias9

matthias9 wrote:

You said margins, not profit, choose your terms more carefully.

Having a booth at Gen Con is an advertising expense; if CAH feels they are already known enough that they don't need to promote their product, then they are better off selling retail.

Posted by dwe113

lol they literally sold crap at one point and had a black friday "sale" in which they raised their prices for a day

I don't think Cards Against Humanity is fretting over advertising strategies

Posted by jamster2022 buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
matthias9 wrote:

You said margins, not profit, choose your terms more carefully.Having a booth at Gen Con is an advertising expense; if CAH feels they are already known enough that they don't need to promote their product, then they are better off selling retail.
Sigh. Margin is after expenses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profit_margin

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Learn the difference between revenue and profit before you try and “educate” others.

ETA: I believe this explains it.  

Posted by donaldbain

I come here for the Gen Con information.  I stay for the economic lectures. 

Posted by raidkillsbugsded donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
I come here for the Gen Con information.  I stay for the economic lectures. 

this is still a better argument than any of the “Gen Con should move to —————————“  arguments

Posted by jamster2022 buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Learn the difference between revenue and profit before you try and “educate” others.
ETA: I believe this explains it.  
Try this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profit_margin

And then this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining

You're arguing for the sake of argument.  Margin is used in multiple contexts with regard to sales & profit, we were discussing 2 different types of margins; gross margin vs. profit margin.

Any vendor will get much higher gross margins selling their items at Gen Con vs. through a wholesaler, but might expect lower profit margins due to the expense of having a booth at the Con.  

And mansplaining only applies if I know you're a woman.  Since I don't have a clue to your gender, it's not.

I'm done with this discussion.  I put this thread here to be useful for everyone to know about vendor changes at Gen Con, not to get derailed by a pointless argument over how much CaH can make by having a booth there.

Posted by salmakki buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
You're arguing for the sake of argument.  Margin is used in multiple contexts with regard to sales & profit, we were discussing 2 different types of margins; gross margin vs. profit margin.
Any vendor will get much higher gross margins selling their items at Gen Con vs. through a wholesaler, but might expect lower profit margins due to the expense of having a booth at the Con.  
And mansplaining only applies if I know you're a woman.  Since I don't have a clue to your gender, it's not.
I'm done with this discussion.  I put this thread here to be useful for everyone to know about vendor changes at Gen Con, not to get derailed by a pointless argument over how much CaH can make by having a booth there.
For what it's worth, I really appreciated the thread and I'm sorry an errant comment derailed it this far!

Posted by astrosetz

TT Combat bought Hawk Wargames :)

VERY SAD that Who North America won’t be there :’( I know their store is in the area but I travel with others who aren’t into Doctor Who, and just in general I loved the booth.

New Vendor changes:

e-raptor will not be at Gen Con this year, their booth, 2856, has been taken by The Rook and The Raven.
Tabletop Direct is now known as Tabletop Tycoon (older guides will still have the original name)

Posted by jmsetzer

Studio de Sade is Nigel Sade. Same artist, new booth name :-)

Posted by volgclawtooth

not seeing Kommando Kilts on todays exhibitor list am I missing something?

Posted by buffythecatslayer volgclawtooth

volgclawtooth wrote:not seeing Kommando Kilts on todays exhibitor list am I missing something? 

They're on the list of Dearly Departed Vendors.  I guess they're not coming back to Gen Con this year.

Posted by urielblue

Surprised that the Warstore.com is gone... Loved buying paints while there to do a little painting danggit.

Posted by urielblue

Posted by roderick

The Warstore is gone, in all forms. They closed a while back. . 

Posted by att_turan

I'm surprised that USAopoly has changed their name to The OP but is still listed under the original name at Gen Con. Perhaps they weren't allowed to change their name at the con after purchasing the space...

Could be that, and also could be that the name change is fairly recent and most people still know them by the old name.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.