Most efficient way to sell True Dungeon tokens at Gen Con?
Posted by narzat

I no longer need my True Dungeon tokens (maybe a hundred or so), and want to sell them en masse.  I know I won't get top dollar this way, but also don't want to spend tons of time on it/worry about shipping/etc.  Is there a Gen Con vendor or similar route to walk up with my collection and walk away with a reasonable amount of cash?

Posted by maijstral2

There used to be, I'm not sure anymore. One of the big Magic Card buying/selling booths also bought and sold true dungeon tokens even had a book with what they did and did not accept. For the life of me I cannot remember the company but I know it was one of the big Magic booths with cards and stuff in big glass display cases and a buyer at each corner of the booth.

Posted by donaldbain

If you have an inventory, list them on the TD forum with Gen Con pick up.

Posted by aegoce

I think the vendor is gaming etc., they appear to be on the list again this year.  I don't know that they'll buy anything below ultra-rare or gold pieces though.

I'd also recommend you give the TD forum a shot, there's a good chance you'd get somebody that will meet you and pay cash the Wednesday before the con starts.

For a (very inexact) estimate of value: common around 8-15 cent, uncommon 25-60 cents, rare 50-100 cent other than some particularly useful exceptions.  Gold .015 cents per gp value.  Ultra-rare is quite variable, but anywhere from $30-50 for the less useful stuff to around $300 for the most desirable.  I suspect you're aware, but a reseller will probably aim for around half of that buying from you.

Posted by salmakki

Heck, if you're looking to sell them en masse share the inventory and I might take them off your hands/strike a deal with you

Posted by narzat

Thanks, all.  Yep, I'm aware that by selling in bulk I'll only be getting around half value, but time is money too.  I don't have a complete inventory, so that is part of what is driving my interest in just showing up and letting the buyer value what I've got.  I don't think I have anything beyond rare, so no worries about losing a big chunk of money just by being lazy/busy.  If I get some time, I'll put an inventory together and let folks who showed interest know.  Thanks again!

Posted by dballing narzat

narzat wrote:
Thanks, all.  Yep, I'm aware that by selling in bulk I'll only be getting around half value, but time is money too.  I don't have a complete inventory, so that is part of what is driving my interest in just showing up and letting the buyer value what I've got.  I don't think I have anything beyond rare, so no worries about losing a big chunk of money just by being lazy/busy.  If I get some time, I'll put an inventory together and let folks who showed interest know.  Thanks again!

From my experience in the past (unloading my collection) the vendors won't have the time on-site to go through your binders looking for stuff. There's just too damned many people to spend that much time with one person for such a small payoff.

Have the inventory (Token Name, Rarity, Quantity) .  Have stats on the inventory (XX x common, YY x Uncommon, ZZ x Rare, etc.), and let them look at the sheet.

Even then you may still get "e-mail it to us and we'll deal with you after the show" but having the inventory sheet is going to be a minimum to getting anyone's attention.

Posted by narzat

Thanks, maybe my teenager will make an inventory for a cut :)

Posted by mhayward1978

Gaming ETC is the only hall vendor I know of who does buying and selling.  They offer terrible prices on both the buy and sell side (like 3-5x more than tokens are available for from other TD vendors, and offering you 10% or less of their listed price for tokens they buy).  Based on past experience, I would not be surprised if they refused to offer you anything at all, or offered you like $5 for all your tokens. I would be astonished if their buy price was anything approaching 1/2 what you'd get on eBay even after eBay fees.

It is against Gen Con rules to do cash transactions in event spaces or the dealer hall unless you have an agreement with Gen Con.  So finding someone else to buy/sell during those days will be a bit of a challenge, as you'd have to meet up outside the convention.

To get top dollar for very little hassle, take one of these approaches:

eBay:
* Sort by rarity (black text=common, green text=uncommon, red text=rare, other colors may indicate special tokens).
* Lay out your tokens in a grid, and take photos such that each token is visible of your collection.
* List the whole lot on eBay starting at 1 cent.  Use the "Toys & Hobbies > Games > Role Playing Games > Dungeons & Dragons > Other Dungeons & Dragons" category and put the phrase True Dungeon Token in your title.

Here is an example completed listing of this kind: https://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Dungeon-Lot-10-Plat-Rare-Tokens-Ogre-Wind-Understanding-Shadow-Torc-Shirt/223523602798?hash=item340b0b816e:g:dDwAAOSwhJ5c4ilq

Forums:
* Make a list of all the tokens you own in a Google sheet, and make it publicly visible.
* Create an account at truedungeon.com and make a post in the forums there in the All Things Treasure Tokens area asking for people to make you offers.  The nice thing about this is you can avoid the eBay 10% fee.

Finally, a word on valuation, most TD tokens are worth basically nothing, here are some prices in descending order of value among tokens you are likely to have:

Monster trophies - e.g. tokens with a name like "Devil Drake Claw" and no game text - ~$5 each
GP tokens - tokens that say they are worth X GP - ~1.5 cents per GP
Rare weapons and armor - ~$1 each
Uncommon weapons and armor - $0.50 each
Other rares - ~$0.50 each
Other uncommons - ~$0.25 each
Other commons - ~$0.08 each

If your tokens are mostly from token-10 packs, you can sort of guess the value of 100 tokens to be around $20.

Posted by narzat

Thanks, MHayward, I appreciate the detailed guidance.  No lazy way out for me :). I’ll head over to the TDForum (already a member) and see how that works out.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.