Dress Code ?
Posted by danielscooby

I look over the event rules and don´t find a dress code

Also, i think it will be good sense wear anything that is not illegal, right?

I read about using comfortable shoes and cothes.

That said, there is any other tips or rules i should attend?

Someone tell me that saturday is the haway shirt day (not that i use something like that)

Any other tip about that part? 

Posted by traveller

• Clean underwear (every day and bring more than one for each day, you never know).
  • ICC and hotels are open to the public, so there is that.
  • Probably want to avoid anything that would not be appropriate for your preferred house of worship, or for those that do not worship, avoid anything that would get you kicked off southwest airlines.
  • Deodorant, it's not optional.   
  • Avoid perfume, cologne, body spray.  
  • Con Funk is a real thing, plan to change shirts at least twice a day.  This means into an actual laundered shirt, not one that was frebreezed.
  • parts of the ICC are COLD bring something lightweight you can put on in those cases.
  • Never noticed one day being Hawaiian shirt day.

Posted by armadilloal

Hawaiian Shirt Day is definitely a thing at Gary Con in Wisconsin, and members of that convention have been trying to make it a thing at Gen Con for a few years for the same reasons.  They haven't had as much success, since Gen Con is 30 times the size and the majority of that 30x don't have the same connection to Gary Gygax, either the man or the memory, as the Gary Con crowd does.

Posted by danielscooby traveller

traveller wrote:

• Clean underwear (every day and bring more than one for each day, you never know).
  • ICC and hotels are open to the public, so there is that.
  • Probably want to avoid anything that would not be appropriate for your preferred house of worship, or for those that do not worship, avoid anything that would get you kicked off southwest airlines.
  • Avoid perfume, cologne, body spray.  
  • Con Funk is a real thing, plan to change shirts at least twice a day.  This means into an actual laundered shirt, not one that was frebreezed.
  • parts of the ICC are COLD bring something lightweight you can put on in those cases.
  • Never noticed one day being Hawaiian shirt day.

Read that a lot.

Specially the deodorant

Posted by danielscooby armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
Hawaiian Shirt Day is definitely a thing at Gary Con in Wisconsin, and members of that convention have been trying to make it a thing at Gen Con for a few years for the same reasons.  They haven't had as much success, since Gen Con is 30 times the size and the majority of that 30x don't have the same connection to Gary Gygax, either the man or the memory, as the Gary Con crowd does.

Got it, tkx for the explanation

Posted by cmegus

I would also just add that although technically not banned (like anything with vulgarity or meant as a threat to anyone - those will get you kicked out), I would also stay away from any political shirts as well, especially if coming from outside the US.

Nowadays the USA has become too political... i.e. stay away from Trump shirts pro and against. Trust me, save yourself a headache.

Find a funny, geeky shirt. This is one place where it is cool. I have a T-shirt that only reads:

I’m Chaotic Neutral. Kinda care, kinda don’t.

G

Posted by aaronmlopez

Comfortable shoes made for walking on concrete are the best. Your regular day-to-day shoes may not cut it. Trust me... there is a difference.

If you are cosplaying, unless it is a ridiculously looking over-accentuated Anime style weapon, don't bring it. If you have doubts about it - ask here before you bring it to the Con. 

Socks - you may consider changing your socks halfway through the day. Buy a pack of new ones and throw the old ones away if you don't want to carry around stinky used socks all day.

Deodorant and clean clothes - they're not optional. 

Make sure all the naughty bits are covered. Please... ask a friend for help with this. You may look great in the mirror, but at a distance or from another angle, you may leave more exposed than intended or what convention staff considers decent. (I have seen a lot of people with shirts that are long enough when their arms are down but reach for something, or after a bit of walking, the bottom of their gut hangs out. If you don't mind this, then you are ok. But if it is not intended, then ask a friend if what you are wearing covers everything you intended.) 

Posted by stahlnee

Avoid politics, religion and sex. No single finger salutes, etc. Common sense.

Posted by stahlnee aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
Comfortable shoes made for walking on concrete are the best. Your regular day-to-day shoes may not cut it. Trust me... there is a difference.
If you are cosplaying, unless it is a ridiculously looking over-accentuated Anime style weapon, don't bring it. If you have doubts about it - ask here before you bring it to the Con. 
Socks - you may consider changing your socks halfway through the day. Buy a pack of new ones and throw the old ones away if you don't want to carry around stinky used socks all day.
Make sure all the naughty bits are covered. Please... ask a friend for help with this. You may look great in the mirror, but at a distance or from another angle, you may leave more exposed than intended or what convention staff considers decent. (I have seen a lot of people with shirts that are long enough when their arms are down but reach for something, or after a bit of walking, the bottom of their gut hangs out. If you don't mind this, then you are ok. But if it is not intended, then ask a friend if what you are wearing covers everything you intended.) 
And avoid plumber crack.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Good walking shoes, jeans & a t-shirt are probably the most common, and simplest option.  Shorts are an option, but Daisy Dukes (on either gender) are not a good idea.  As others have said, bring at least one shirt to change into, and avoid anything political.  There are plenty of t-shirt vendors at the con, so you can always pick up a few more gaming-related shirts. 

Posted by danielscooby buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Good walking shoes, jeans & a t-shirt are probably the most common, and simplest option.  Shorts are an option, but Daisy Dukes (on either gender) are not a good idea.  As others have said, bring at least one shirt to change into, and avoid anything political.  There are plenty of t-shirt vendors at the con, so you can always pick up a few more gaming-related shirts. 

I will totally buy new tees ate Con! tks

Posted by danielscooby stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:
Avoid politics, religion and sex. No single finger salutes, etc. Common sense.

I use to avoid all days. 

Posted by danielscooby cmegus

cmegus wrote:
I would also just add that although technically not banned (like anything with vulgarity or meant as a threat to anyone - those will get you kicked out), I would also stay away from any political shirts as well, especially if coming from outside the US.
Nowadays the USA has become too political... i.e. stay away from Trump shirts pro and against. Trust me, save yourself a headache.
Find a funny, geeky shirt. This is one place where it is cool. I have a T-shirt that only reads:
G

Don´t know you really care, or not right now.

/jk

Posted by danielscooby aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:

What about flip flop ?

I keep thinink if i would get my feet hurt

What about flip flop ?I keep thinink if i would get my feet hurt

Have you previously walked and stood around for 10-12 hours for 4 days in flip flops?  If you haven't, don't make Gen Con your trial run.  Good walking shoes are the way to go.

Posted by stryyder

I usually will advise people think of the convention using "warehouse" rules for footwear.  Nothing open-toed or open-heeled. (though, I doubt anyone will need steel-toes)

Not only are sandals/flip flops not as orthapedically sound as a full comfortable shoe, but in high traffic areas it is very likely someone will step on you at some point.  having someone step on the heel of your flip flop is horrible.

Posted by trace_sl

Shorts, tees, comfortable foot wear.  Check
Hat/cap up to you. 
Kilt.  Up to you.  
Backpack.  Up to you.  
Rain Poncho.  Up to you only if you can't get where you want to via the hamster tubes and IF it rains.  

If you have not heard, there is a Gen Con 101 Event on Wednesday.  

Posted by cmegus danielscooby

danielscooby wrote:
cmegus wrote:
G
/jk

i cared 2 minutes ago. Now... not so much.

Good way to get through life sometimes too ;)

G

Posted by trace_sl cmegus

cmegus wrote:
danielscooby wrote:
cmegus wrote:
G
/jk
i cared 2 minutes ago. Now... not so much.
Good way to get through life sometimes too ;)
G

Have an Old Fart Action Figure tee :) 

• Loaded with opinions!
  • Same old stories over & over!
  • Brand new complaints everyday!
  • Life-like joints that creak with every move! 

:) 

If you have not heard, there is a Gen Con 101 Event on Wednesday. 

Not really helpful for clothing plans.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4