Legends of Wargaming Featured at GenCon 50
Posted by gutboybarrelhouseiii

Howdy All,

Peter Adkinson personally invited Legends of Wargaming to be Featured Presenters in the the 50th Anniversary, Horticultural Hall replica on the 50-yard line of the Lucas Oil Stadium! We are excited to be a part of it!

Legends of Wargaming an ongoing series of events that pay special attention to the early days of wargaming prior to the introduction of Dungeons & Dragons. These events attempt to bring attendees the classic board and miniature wargames that were a staple during the early days of the Gen Con.

Each event is a living-history experience using the original rules, vintage equipment, and when possible, the events will be run by individuals who played, refereed, and designed the games.

This is your chance to experience what it was like to play these games at the earliest Gen Cons and Gary Gygax’s own basement in Lake Geneva! The games will be taught and refereed so interest is all that is required by players!

The events have been submitted and will be approved in the catalog early next week! Here is the listing of event and times in case you want to rearrange your schedule.

Day--------Time-------------Event Name
SAT--------1300-1700-------1974 GenCon VII First GenCon D&D Adventure!
SAT--------1900-2300-------1975 GenCon VIII First GenCon D&D Tournament!
SAT--------1900-2300-------Battle on the Sand Table: Battle on the Ice
FRI---------0800-1200-------Battle on the Sand Table: Chainmail Fantasy
FRI---------1300-1700-------Battle on the Sand Table: Chainmail Fantasy
FRI---------1900-2300-------Battle on the Sand Table: Chainmail Fantasy
THU--------1300-1700-------Battle on the Sand Table: Viking Raid!
THU--------1900-2300-------Battle on the Sand Table: Viking Raid!
SAT--------1300-1700-------Battle on the Sand Table: WWII Armor
FRI---------1900-2300-------Braunstein 50th Anniversary Game
THU--------1300-1700-------Chainmail Jousting
THU--------1900-2300-------Chainmail Jousting
FRI---------0900-1200-------Chainmail Jousting
FRI---------1300-1700-------Chainmail Jousting
FRI---------1900-2300-------Chainmail Jousting
SAT--------0900-1200-------Chainmail Jousting
SAT--------1300-1700-------Chainmail Jousting
SAT--------1900-2300-------Chainmail Jousting
SUN--------0900-1200-------Chainmail Jousting
SUN--------1300-1700-------Chainmail Jousting
SAT--------1200-1600-------Dawn Patrol with Designer Mike Carr
FRI---------1300-1800-------Don't Give Up The Ship! with Designer Mike Carr
THU--------1400-1600-------Dungeon! with Designer David Megarry
FRI---------1400-1600-------Dungeon! with Designer David Megarry
SAT--------1000-1200-------Dungeon! with Designer David Megarry
SAT--------1400-1600-------Dungeon! with Designer David Megarry
THU--------1300-1400-------GenCon 50 Museum Tour with Paul Stormberg
FRI---------1000-1200-------GenCon 50 Museum Tour with Paul Stormberg
SAT--------1000-1200-------GenCon 50 Museum Tour with Paul Stormberg
SUN--------1000-1200-------GenCon 50 Museum Tour with Paul Stormberg
FRI---------0900-1200-------HG Wells Little Wars
FRI---------1400-1700-------HG Wells Little Wars
FRI---------2100-2400-------HG Wells Little Wars
SUN--------1300-1600-------HG Wells Little Wars
THU--------1300-1700-------Siege of Bodenburg
THU--------1900-2300-------Siege of Bodenburg
SAT--------0800-1200-------Siege of Bodenburg
SAT--------1300-1700-------Siege of Bodenburg
SAT--------1900-2300-------Siege of Bodenburg
THU--------1900-2300-------Source of the Nile with Designer Ross Maker
FRI---------1900-2300-------Source of the Nile with Designer Ross Maker
SAT--------1900-2300-------Source of the Nile with Designer Ross Maker

1974 Gen Con VII First Gen Con D&D Adventure!

Play in the first D&D adventure ever run at Gen Con VII in 1974! Originally created by Rob Kuntz for Greyhawk Castle! Ticket includes El Raja Key Archive with scan of original map!

1975 Gen Con VIII First Gen Con D&D Tournament!

Play first D&D tournament ever run at Gen Con VIII in 1975! Originally created by Rob Kuntz for his Kalibruhn campaign! Ticket includes El Raja Key Archive with scan of original map!

Battle on the Sand Table: Battle on the Ice

Play a Chainmail historical battle, designed by Mike Mornard & fought on Legends of Wargaming Sand Table, like attendees of early Gen Cons. Exciting miniatures game heavily incorporated into D&D! Refereed by Michael Mornard one of Gary Gygax's original Greyhawk players!

Battle on the Sand Table: Chainmail Fantasy

Play a Chainmail fantasy battle, designed by Gary Gygax & fought on Legends of Wargaming Sand Table - like attendees of early Gen Cons. Exciting miniatures game heavily incorporated into D&D!

Battle on the Sand Table: Viking Raid!

Play a Chainmail Man-to-Man battle, designed by Gary Gygax & fought on Legends of Wargaming Sand Table, like attendees of early Gen Cons. Exciting miniatures game heavily incorporated into D&D! Refereed by Michael Mornard one of Gary Gygax's original Greyhawk players!

Battle on the Sand Table: WWII Armor

Play one of Gary Gygax’s favorite games: Tractics by Mike Reese, Leon Tucker, & Gary. A WWII miniature tank game fought on the Legends of Wargaming Sand Table & run by designer Mike Reese!

Braunstein 50th Anniversary Game

Wow! Experience a game that is at the roots of the roleplaying games: Braunstein! This game shares its 50th Anniversary with Gen Con!  A fast and furious roleplaying game run by designer David Wesely!

Chainmail Jousting Tourney

Step up to the lists and see how you fare in the Gen Con 50th Anniversary Chainmail Jousting Tourney! Face off with a friend or make a new one and challenge them to a tilt! 5 to 10 minutes! Up to 6 players compete in each game (a half-hour mini-tournament)!

Dawn Patrol

This is your chance to learn to play Dawn Patrol, originally named, Fight in the Skies, one of the classic board wargames of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Taught & refereed by designer Mike Carr as he recreates games run at early Gen Cons. Played at every Gen Con since 1968!

Don't Give Up The Ship!

Learn to play Don’t Give Up The Ship! by Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson, and Mike Carr, this Age of Sail, ship combat game. Taught & refereed by designer Mike Carr as he recreates games run at early Gen Cons.

Dungeon! with Designer David Megarry

Learn to play Dungeon! from designer, Dave Megarry! After a brief history, he will lead adventurers on 4 boards! Played on Dave Arneson’s ping pong table where Blackmoor & Dungeon! were born!

H. G. Wells Little Wars

Play in H. G. Wells 1913 Little Wars game using original antique spring loaded toy guns to knock down toy soldiers! This fast & fun game is over 100 years old and is the first published war game!

Siege of Bodenburg

Play the fast, fun miniature game that Gary Gygax played at Gen Con I in 1968! The game that inspired him to form the Castle & Crusade Society and write Chainmail, heavily incorporated into D&D!

Source of the Nile

A favorite of Gary Gygax! Players are 19th century explorers delving into the Dark Continent - Africa! Seek fame & fortune & avoid death! Run by original designers David Wesely & Ross Maker!

Please send all inquiries to Paul Stormberg at [email protected]

Futures Bright,

Paul Stormberg
www.thecollectorstrove.com
www.TLBgames.com

Posted by thebillallan gutboybarrelhouseiii

Paul, thank you so much for the custom tour at Gen Con 50.  Here's the link to the video.  Please feel free to share:
https://youtu.be/a15XPjPXJ_w

Posted by deadsaidfred

My son and I really enjoyed hearing Dave Megarry's stories and playing Dungeon! with the version 1 set.  

We both agreed we'd do this again if the opportunity presented itself.

Posted by burrfoot72 deadsaidfred

deadsaidfred wrote:
My son and I really enjoyed hearing Dave Megarry's stories and playing Dungeon! with the version 1 set.  

I did this event as well and really enjoyed it.  Definitely got a vibe playing on THE ping pong table.  The game I played on saw a lot of unfortunate events and several people had to retreat to the staircase or like myself hit a trap and lost 6 turns.  We were all having good fun with our bad luck at which point in my most light hearted voice I could muster said something along the line of "Who designed this unbalanced broken game system...."  Got a decent chuckle out of Dave.

Wish I had set aside the time to do a little jousting over at the next table.  

Posted by gutboybarrelhouseiii thebillallan

thebillallan wrote:
Paul, thank you so much for the custom tour at Gen Con 50.  Here's the link to the video.  Please feel free to share:
https://youtu.be/a15XPjPXJ_w
Thanks Bill! Great video!

Posted by gutboybarrelhouseiii deadsaidfred

deadsaidfred wrote:

Well the event will be run again at Gary Con. If you liked that game I think you both would enjoy the other game played on that table Source of the Nile with Ross Maker - another one of Arneson's designer friends.

Thanks again for playing, I am glad you had fun!

Posted by tdb

My wife and I had a great time with Joust on Friday afternoon.  Even if my horse was a little constipated...  ;-)

A big thank-you to Paul, and to everyone else who made these events possible!

Walt

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.