Mobile app
Posted by aaronmlopez

Not sure who it was, but last year someone made a pretty nice app for Android and iOS. If that person is still around, are you planning on making the app again? 

Last year, the app allowed you to get add your events to your calendar, and had maps available. It was very well done and I would love to see it again.

Couple of suggestions:
1) Make it so you can search via Event ID
2) Have a map link within each event

Posted by quarex

The Unofficial Gen-Con (for Android, anyway) has existed since at least 2014, when I first got a smart phone and immediately checked to see if anything Gen-Con-related existed, and has been updated annually so far...we will have to see if whoever is behind it updates it this time!

Posted by nascragman

Nothing for iPhone for 2017 yet.  There was an "Unofficial" one last year, is that what you are talking about?

Posted by aaronmlopez nascragman

nascragman wrote:
Nothing for iPhone for 2017 yet.  There was an "Unofficial" one last year, is that what you are talking about?

Yep! That's the one I had the last couple of years. I found it very useful. Added events to your phone calendar and had all the info on the events as well.

Posted by ugrig

I used the App last year. It was very useful. If he makes it again I highly recommend it.

Posted by vectorlit

Hey all, that's me. It has been updated for 2017, with maps and events.

I'm happy you all like it! If you have any feature request I'd love to hear them.

Over the next few weeks/months I will be adding some new features as well. (additional search options, event update notifications, etc).

Posted by vectorlit aaronmlopez

In response to these features:
1) Absolutely - that will be in this year's version (not available as of today, but in upcoming weeks).
2) This is a great idea and has been suggested before, but not sure if it's possible in my current schedule. I will think hard on how to accomplish it, if it's possible in my spare time. It has not been possible in previous years because of the late date of map publishing from Gen Con itself (sometimes only a day or two before the convention!).

aaronmlopez wrote:
Not sure who it was, but last year someone made a pretty nice app for Android and iOS. If that person is still around, are you planning on making the app again? 
Last year, the app allowed you to get add your events to your calendar, and had maps available. It was very well done and I would love to see it again.
Couple of suggestions:

Posted by aaronmlopez

Thanks, Puargs! I really do enjoy your app. Hope you are getting compensated. If not, lets meet up at Gen Con and I can at the very least pay for a meal for ya!

Posted by dragonheart

So is the unofficial GenCon iOS app been officially released yet?  I couldnt find it in the App store.

Posted by aaronmlopez dragonheart

dragonheart wrote:
So is the unofficial GenCon iOS app been officially released yet?  I couldnt find it in the App store.

If you had the one from last year, it should have automatically updated to the new version. Mine did already.

Posted by austicke

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unofficial-gen-con/id1135623179

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vectorlit.genconevents

Posted by dragonheart austicke

Thanks will check it out.

Posted by trace_sl

As a side note, the 3rd party event site: http://gencon.eventdb.us/ works very well on a mobile device

Posted by dragonheart

Guess everyone is trying to download it cause it keeps timing out on me :(

Posted by vectorlit

dragonheart, which part is timing out on you? Are you on iPhone or Android? Is the app itself not able to download? Or are you able to download the app itself, and then it's having trouble loading events? Let me know, I'll try to help you out.

Posted by dragonheart

I am on iPhone... first was timing out in the App store... Trying now to download events listing.

Posted by vectorlit dragonheart

dragonheart wrote:
I am on iPhone... first was timing out in the App store... Trying now to download events listing.

Cool - let me know if you run into troubles; I have checked on my end and it should be working with no problems, but I don't want to rule out any issues. If you do have problems, let me know what it's doing - does it blank out, freeze, close on its own, or any other information you might have.

Posted by jtzell

I have a suggestion for the App, but first let me say I think it is a great tool and thank you for creating it. Now my suggestions are, have a way to filter by category and also a reset to put the app back to original so that if you mess up the sorting too much you can just hit reset and not have to close the app and reopen to get it to reset.

Posted by vectorlit

jtzell - thanks for the suggestions!!

For filter by category: you can do that right now by typing the category prefix for what you're interested in. For instance, if you want to filter for LARP events, search for "LRP" and it'll come up with all the larp events. RPG for role playing games, etc.

I know there isn't a nice drop-down for it, but in the end I decided that it took up too much room on the screen and removed it. There may come a point where I implement a "swipe from the side for advanced search options" but that is truly a mess and I'd like to avoid it. Screen real-estate on large phones or tablets isn't a problem, but on small phones it's difficult to fit it all in.

Regarding the search problems - I actually have fixed that as of about ~20 minutes ago.. It should both fix the problems in the first place (it shouldn't get "stuck" anymore) and it should also allow you to click the "X" button to clear everything and reset to all events in one tap.

I have submitted updates to both the Android and iPhone, but it'll be a while before they come through the pipe (probably tomorrow morning for Android and ~Tuesday evening~ish for iPhone. If you're on iPhone, look for the 1.5.1 update in a few days, and on Android it should be the 3.5.1 update by tomorrow.

Posted by aaronmlopez vectorlit

puargs wrote:
In response to these features:
1) Absolutely - that will be in this year's version (not available as of today, but in upcoming weeks).
2) This is a great idea and has been suggested before, but not sure if it's possible in my current schedule. I will think hard on how to accomplish it, if it's possible in my spare time. It has not been possible in previous years because of the late date of map publishing from Gen Con itself (sometimes only a day or two before the convention!).
[/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7298-mobile-app?page=1#29251ined] aaronmlopez wrote:[/url]
Couple of suggestions:

Playing around with the app: When you search for events via Event ID, you still get a list of every event with the same title (Example RPG17120757 brings up results for RPG17120758, 59, 60, 61, etc. as well). Is there any way to make it so the returned results only show the specific Event ID?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3