Games in Lucas Oil
Posted by nascragman

Did anyone play in any games in Lucas Oil last year?  It seems like it would be a tremendous hike over there.  What was it like?  What was in there?

Posted by austicke

True Dungeon and anime were in the Lucas Oil Stadium last year. (I'm not sure if anything else.)

It's not at all far from the southeast corner of the exhibit hall, but it is a hike from the JW Marriott. Gen Con covers a lot of ground!

This year there will be games played on the field, which will be interesting.

Posted by roanders

Games on the field?!  Where did you hear that?  

Posted by unglitteringold

The hike isn't bad - you just go down the hall from the dealer's room and you're there. I did not like it much for True Dungeon, but I'm sure it will be better set up this year now that they've done it once. 

Posted by andrewj.rager austicke

austicke wrote:
True Dungeon and anime were in the Lucas Oil Stadium last year. (I'm not sure if anything else.)
It's not at all far from the southeast corner of the exhibit hall, but it is a hike from the JW Marriott. Gen Con covers a lot of ground!
This sounds like a perfect place for giant games. Like a giant Pandemic with a map the size of the endzone or something. I do not have any knowledge of what they are planning, but feel this would be a good use of the space.

Posted by austicke roanders

roanders wrote:Games on the field?!  Where did you hear that?

I heard it from the Gen Con Games Library. They will be using the field.

Posted by roanders

I totally called it!  Nice.  

It seems like two of people's favorite things are the game library and the BGG hot games room.  I think GenCon should do more to encourage this.  

Ultimate dream:  use the Lucas Oil field as a gigantic game library space, and have ticketed times or a convention-long ribbon which allows open access to play games.  I think Origins has something like a game library ribbon.  Having a huge space like this dedicated just to a game library would be amazing.  

Or maybe have half of a large space as a game library, and the other half as open gaming (but still with a "looking for players" flag type system)?  That'd be so awesome. 

Posted by austicke

Nicely done, roanders.

I see that Mayfair Games also confirmed on the Gen Con Indy Facebook group that Mayfair and other exhibitors will also be holding events in Lucas Oil.

Posted by roanders

This seems like big news.  It sounds awesome to have the opportunity to play board games on the field.  I wonder if we'll be seeing it in a newsletter anytime soon?

Posted by nascragman

I'm just trying to determine if having a game placed over there is a good thing, or death by isolation.  It seems like a long walk, unless there's a lot going on over there already.  Playing on the field sounds good, from a noise standpoint, although NFL stadiums are really designed to be noisy, aren't they?

Posted by austicke

As a boardgame player, it sounds like I'll spending a good amount of time at Lucas Oil.

Posted by garhkal andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
austicke wrote:
This sounds like a perfect place for giant games. Like a giant Pandemic with a map the size of the endzone or something. I do not have any knowledge of what they are planning, but feel this would be a good use of the space.

Heck things like true dungeon would be Awesome if they had a full football field size area to set up in!

Posted by helenbb

It's not that big a deal to go to Lucas Oil. It's no further than if you're walking to the Crowne Plaza (which I seem to do about once a day). 

Posted by andrewj.rager helenbb

helenbb wrote:
It's not that big a deal to go to Lucas Oil. It's no further than if you're walking to the Crowne Plaza (which I seem to do about once a day). 
Its true. Our parking lot last year (Gate Ten) was on the other side of Lucas Oil Stadium. While the stadium is very big. It was real easy to get over to LOS or past it to our parking.

Posted by mhayward1978

Reiterating - the walk to Lucas Oil is no biggie just down a hall post the dealer hall through an underground tunnel.

It's probably closer to the south east corner of the dealer hall than rooms located in the Hyatt or Marriott.

Posted by nascragman

NASCRAG will be on the field too, this year. I think it will be great from a noise standpoint. We tend to be loud and boisterous. 

Posted by andrewj.rager

I am pretty excited for games on the field. Surprised the Colts agreed to that! lol Woo!

Posted by aldctjoc

Well... at risk of being pedantic, the Colts don't determine who uses Lucas Oil Stadium (although quite obviously they'd be the 800lb gorilla as far as scheduling during the football season). The Capital Improvement Board of Managers of Marion County Indiana is listed as the stadium's management. I don't know if it's them or the "ICCLOS" group that actually does the day to day task of booking events. But the point is that it's not the Colts who manage it. 

Granted, without some sort of tacit approval from the Colts, Gen Con on the field of LOS would likely not happen. But back in 2009 the Colts pretty much gave general approval in an open letter to the community:

"It is also important to note that, from the very beginning, Lucas Oil Stadium was designed to be a multi-use facility to accommodate many users, not just the Colts...

... While we are immensely proud to be able to call Lucas Oil Stadium our home field, the fact of the matter is the Colts only use the stadium a maximum of nineteen days a year; and the facility is available for use by virtually anyone else the remaining 346 days."

http://www.wthr.com/article/colts-letter-to-fans-on-lucas-oil-stadium

So as long as it doesn't conflict with a home game, the Colts say 'no problem'. And to be frank, the ICCLOS would be insane to try and preempt a football game. But since this year's date won't conflict, the field is open and available. We'll have to wait and see about future dates, but 2017 is quite obviously already decided. 

Posted by scswan

Are we sure this is on the field and not just in the stadium? 

Last year there were things at Lucas Oil Stadium but they were not on the field. Does anyone have info that states on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium?

Posted by nascragman

Interesting.  I hadn't considered pre-season football conflicts.  Although now that I pause to consider, I do remember it happening at least once.  The sight of all those oddly dressed folks in their blue and white costumes (not a lot of originality amongst them though.  Disappointing) was very strange.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.